Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Finaddict

Laptop not starting ... power trouble

So last night after I got home from work, I tried to turn on my laptop, the light came on for less than a second and then it turned off ... more of a flash ...

... I realized that the power cord had fallen out ...

... I plugged the power cord back in last night and tried to get it to charge ... removed the battery while the laptop was still plugged in, but it still would not turn on ... left it plugged in all day ...

... getting home from work, still the same thing, the light comes on for less than a second and then turns off ... either the battery is not charging, or the system is not taking power ...

... any thoughts out there on steps ... getting rid of it or buying a new at this moment in time is not the choice ... would rather try to get it to work for a few months at least ...

Thanks for your help.

Andy

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Matt D

Brand and model? I might have a battery and a/c adapter I could send you to either confirm or eliminate those as the problem. Could also be the jack on the laptop that the charger plugs into. Fairly common for that to get a broken solder joint. There's a place on EBay that repairs them for around $35. Sent my daughter's Thinkpad to them a couple of years ago and they fixed me right up.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Redsoxticket

Clean the battery contacts
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I would suspect the A/C charger unit, I had one go bad and can be picked up for cheap money on Amazon/eBay. Most laptops will run on a dead battery (or one that won't hold a charge) if the A/C charger is still working. Might also explain why the battery won't charge up.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Finaddict

It's an HP Pavilion dv68.1 - I have had it for about four years ... so wouldn't be surprised that the stuff you guys mentioned would go wrong ... I will have to look into that ...as it's not running even when plugged in with the power cord ...thanks

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
kvn4

its the a/c adapter plug in laptop where the charger plugs into as i had same problem to a dv7,

Last edited by kvn4; 04-28-2012 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: missed wording
kvn4 is offline   Reply With Quote