Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #61
Blitzseeker
Cape Crusader

I work about 200 yards from where the bombs went off. Building shook when the bombs went off, and I got to the window and saw the smoke rising. Have been through that section of Boylston for many years of marathons, but luckily not this year. Sadly, I remember thinking a year or two back that if I was a bad guy it would be a perfect place to take out a lot of people easily. Looks like the bad guys thought the same thing.

I know gun control is top of mind right now, but as someone said earlier in this thread....there is a little kid dead. Eight year old boy, same age as my youngest son. Other kids' parents are dead. There are a bunch of people missing arms and legs. Save the gun control debate for another time. To me it's just a matter of respect for people who have died or have had thier lives changed forever.

Peace.
Blitzseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #62
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Folks who lost their stuff/ended up in the hospital and missed their flight/etc. etc.

Airlines are waiving reschedule fees thankfully so hopefully those that got stuck/missed flights for one reason or another are getting hooked up.
makes sense, thanks

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #63
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
LW - wouldnt most people have tickets to get home already? How did this tradgey affect travel? I didnt think this was that widespread of an event where we had need for supplies (other than blood)? Im not being an ass, just dont understand from a logistics standoint. This wasnt an earthquake or a tornado. What supplies are needed>
Might not Have anything to do with getting home....150 injured...they may be staying here awhile in hospitals, might want to help families come out here to stay with their injured relatives.

People just want to help, anyway they think they can....giving miles to help somebody come out makes them feel good...nice article in the paper today about people offering up their homes for people to stay if they need to.....probably not to many will take them up on it...still makes people feel good that they offered....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #64
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Back on topic, debate the other issues later / in a different thread.

Let us get the facts to be investigate, reported, and then dealt with. Give thanks, respect, and prayers (if you do that) to those that need it.

For the individual that reported this thread as trolling, please don't add fuel to the fire.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #65
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
In a recent thread I joked about hitting 100 posts,,,, someone called me a "rookie" LOL

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

If I'm not banned, I'll try not to speak when I'm P O'd again and apologize for creating a chit storm out of your original post JR.

Still P O'd, Gup
I wouldn't worry about it. We are all PO'd and have our own opinions. It was a very easy thread to get side-railed
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #66
fishbones

How To Donate Blood To Victims Of Boston Marathon Explosion: American Red Cross Currently Has Enough Blood

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #67
FishermanTim

They are reporting that the devices were made from pressure cookers with metal and ball breeaing for debri.

That should help in narrowing their search.
Add to that any video footage from the stores on that street and they should hopefully be able to find who the culprits are.

I would imagine that they could be able to figure out what brand/model of cooker was used, and look for possible purchase points and go from there.

forensic science is definitely a big help in these matters.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #68
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
we often see the best in people during the worst of times... T's & P's to everyone affected.
Agreed. Too bad that empathy, which we display so selflessly at the worst of times, doesn't seem to last.

Hopefully the feds will do a better job catching these terrorists than they did in Benghazi.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #69
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
makes sense, thanks
Also car rides, places to stay, food, phone/internet etc. has all been offered, really awesome of the Bostonians.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #70
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
They are reporting that the devices were made from pressure cookers with metal and ball breeaing for debri.

That should help in narrowing their search.
Add to that any video footage from the stores on that street and they should hopefully be able to find who the culprits are.

I would imagine that they could be able to figure out what brand/model of cooker was used, and look for possible purchase points and go from there.

forensic science is definitely a big help in these matters.
Not that it means anything, but pressure cooker bombs have been used by terrorists in the past. Still curious to hear if anyone will claim responsibility for this.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #71
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Just announced, $50,000 reward for info leading to the capture of whoever did this.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Not that it means anything, but pressure cooker bombs have been used by terrorists in the past. Still curious to hear if anyone will claim responsibility for this.
I think the pressure cookers are usually used as rudimentary timing devices.

I bet those responsible will get caught. That's not the same thing as someone taking responsibility before getting caught.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #73
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I think the pressure cookers are usually used as rudimentary timing devices.

I bet those responsible will get caught. That's not the same thing as someone taking responsibility before getting caught.

I'm sure they'll get whoever's responsible. They might have a person or people in custody already but aren't making it public yet. What I meant was that terrorist groups usually claim responsibility by now if they're behind a bombing.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #74
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I'm trying to imagine how much, and what kind, of explosive propellant would be required to get ball bearings (or small lead shot, or whatever), moving at sufficient velocity to take off limbs, bone and all. The femur is one of the biggest, and strongest, bones in a human body. I've seen the results of a 12 gauge blast taking off a hand, but a femur?

It had to be one powerful device, I would think. I'm kind of doubting that it was the handiwork of a rank amateur.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #75
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I'm trying to imagine how much, and what kind, of explosive propellant would be required to get ball bearings (or small lead shot, or whatever), moving at sufficient velocity to take off limbs, bone and all. The femur is one of the biggest, and strongest, bones in a human body. I've seen the results of a 12 gauge blast taking off a hand, but a femur?

It had to be one powerful device, I would think. I'm kind of doubting that it was the handiwork of a rank amateur.

I was watching one of the talking heads last night stating this was a "low power" explosive device which would propel a ball bearinbg at 7,000 feet per second, as opposed to a high powered explosive propelling an object at 25K feet per second. The head then stated a rifle shot is on the order of 1200-1300 feet per second (familiar with this).

This stuff is well out of my wheel house and I have no idea how accurate the talking head was but it lines up a bit with what is being discussed. So take it for what it is worth and what you paid for it

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #76
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post

black powder is sufficiently powerful enough and either cheap or easy to make. from what i've been told, this is amateur woodsman homegrown stuff. the other side likes the high speed binaries that cause massive internal trauma without the need for shrapnel.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #77
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I'm sure they'll get whoever's responsible. They might have a person or people in custody already but aren't making it public yet. What I meant was that terrorist groups usually claim responsibility by now if they're behind a bombing.
I agree.
I don't want to sound all "NCIS" here, but when an overseas terrorist group pulls a stunt like this, there is usually some kind of "chatter" between members and between cells (for attack coordination).
There has been no mention of any communication/chattr involving this attack. No one has laid claim to this one as well.

I can only imagine that whatever propellent that was used was probably tested for its effectiveness beforehand. That would also explain the pressure cooker device. Low power explosive in a pressure cooker will build up sufficient force that when released, will increase the force of the blast.

Maybe when they get those responsible we can try our own experiments with "propellents" on them?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #78
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

It doesn't have to be C 4 to cause all that damage. When the bomb goes off inside of the pressure cooker it builds force prior to causing the cooker to expand and as we all know, blowup. How large the amount of propellant used, the greater the demand for oxygen, more oxygen needed, greater area of destruction. I think we'll find thats where the blast force/propellant enters into it. Low speed bombs, 3300 ft. per second or less, can be extremely damaging. There were nails, BB's, bearings and what not inside of these packages. See the damage to the bodies that were done, and you'll know longer wonder why so many limbs were lost in the civil war from ball bearing being fired from muskets at low speed.

I have deep admiration for those peole who ran into the fire, so to speak, and did not shrink when it was time. There were a huge number of very courageous individuals that acted without concern for themselves after the bombing. Police and firefighters, and EMS are paid to act, but the civilians to do what they did without thought of injury to themselves is an extremely selfless act.

When the POS is caught, he'll be charged federally, so a more appropriate justice will be handed down.

Last edited by Swimmer; 04-16-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #79
FishermanTim

I agree as well, and when the person/persons are caught, and are found guilty in accordance of the law, they are show the same measure of compassion and mercy they showed (to the innocent victims) when they get the death sentence. I say this crime is definitely worthy of the chair, or getting strung up as it were.

I need to go fishing to get this out of my head, at least for a few hours.....

Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #80
WESTPORTMAFIA

[QUOTE=FishermanTim;994914

I need to go fishing to get this out of my head, at least for a few hours.....[/QUOTE]

How about this whole thread gets permanently deleted. We are all seeing it at work, on the radio, and on the news when we get home. It's depressing. We all know it happened. I say when we come here to talk about fishing, we talk about fishing and other things related to the site.??
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #81
bostonharbor

I agree W.M. Let's stick to fishing.My brother was working the medical tent at the finish line and I was worked up.Finest kind.Good Night.
bostonharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #82
stripermaineiac

Anyone who attacks inocence like that should be put infront of a firing squad.Only scumbags do things like that.they want to pick a fight pick one with the people that can fight back.Dirtbags an cowards are one an the same.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #83
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
How about this whole thread gets permanently deleted. We are all seeing it at work, on the radio, and on the news when we get home. It's depressing. We all know it happened. I say when we come here to talk about fishing, we talk about fishing and other things related to the site.??
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonharbor View Post
I agree W.M. Let's stick to fishing.My brother was working the medical tent at the finish line and I was worked up.Finest kind.Good Night.
I respectfully disagree. This is more than a fishing site. It's an internet community and in many respects, a family. Families talk stuff out during a time of crisis.

If you're suffering from media overload, you don't have to click on the thread.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #84
FishermanTim

2X that Westport.

I'm planning on hitting a small stocked trout pond after work, with hopes of landing one of the 3-5 lbers that may be still there after Sundays's derby.

I was there when the private fishery truck showed up to dump the 100+ trout in on Saturday. There were about a dozen large trout amongst the remaining cookie-cutter fish.

I'll see how things go tonight.

And then there's this weekend with the possibility of either kayaking or surfcasting.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #85
Bronko

Sounds like an arrest has been made/ or imminent.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #86
PaulS

Yup, reportedly an arrest has just been made.

Give him a speedy trial with good representation and then execute him.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #87
JackK
Not Jack

Now they are saying no arrest, or POI in custody. Information moves so fast it's hard to keep it all straight.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #88
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

It's pretty wild how they supposedly id'd this guy. Had a shot of him on a surveillance tape and it showed him on a cell phone. They went and pulled all the logs of calls made during that time frame which originated in that area. Then they cross referenced the names with pictures of the people who owned the phones and matched it up to the surveillance pics.
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #89
Finaddict

Crazy about the reporting as I also read a few different pieces in the last few minutes that contradicted themselves ... that have been updated within the last few minutes.

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #90
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
It's pretty wild how they supposedly id'd this guy. Had a shot of him on a surveillance tape and it showed him on a cell phone. They went and pulled all the logs of calls made during that time frame which originated in that area. Then they cross referenced the names with pictures of the people who owned the phones and matched it up to the surveillance pics.
while that is totally awesome.. our media in its carnivorous and somewhat cannibalistic craze to get stories often forgets that they are helping the next ass hole get away with something like this. 'ok.. i wont use my cell phone' or... i better use a track phone with no name associated with it.. Some things are better off left unsaid.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote