Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
spence

Cairo

Pretty interesting what's going on today. Looks like the military isn't doing much...odds are Mubarak won't last long unless there's a brutal crackdown...

Egypt is such an influential country in the region...this is big.

-spence
Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Very big.

I was reading somewhere the some army units were giving gas masks to the protesters.

If Mubarak doesn't have the backing of the Army, he's done.

A truly democratic Egypt would be interesting, maybe El Baradei has a chance.

More protests in Jordan. Could get real interesting.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
If Mubarak doesn't have the backing of the Army, he's done.
Heard a report earlier that the US Military was already talking to the Egyptian army...and that the same thing happened in Tunisia. Perhaps the generals talking man on man to work out a deal to keep things from falling into chaos?

Granted, Eqypt is a different situation and with a much larger army...but...

-spence
Old 01-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

"U.S. President Barack Obama called on Egyptian authorities Friday to refrain from violence and to reverse any actions they have taken to limit access to the internet in the wake of protests there."

THAT'S THE BEST HE CAN DO?

he's supermAn

what a fin schmuck
Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltys View Post
"U.S. President Barack Obama called on Egyptian authorities Friday to refrain from violence and to reverse any actions they have taken to limit access to the internet in the wake of protests there."

THAT'S THE BEST HE CAN DO?

he's supermAn

what a fin schmuck
I'm no Obama apologist but not much he can do. He can shut up Joe Biden from making more dumba$$ comments.

Some other interesting analysis: NightWatch 20110128 - KGS

If you are interested in stuff that happened in the course of the night, Nightwatch tends to be better than CNN

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Raven

Exclamation HEY SCOTT (SALTY)

you forgot the hyphen between F and IN
thereby insulting all manner of fishes ! DO that AGAIN!
and ALL my chipmunks go to your HOUSE !
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Raven

Cool Back to the Thread

it APPEARS that the TUNISIAN demonstration
started the whole thing and because of the INTERNET
postings on TWITTER and or Facebook and subsequent video's
launched it...

A small world we're in now EH?

Here we have this MARVELOUS tool for
world wide communication and scientific advancement
yet it is FUELING the violence of "Change" instead.

MR OBAMA , could you please "change" this.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
buckman

Mubarak's ties to the military are solid. I would expect a military crack down in the near future.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Sea Dangles

Tunisia was a solid country until very recently.Last year my wife went there on a business trip for Fidelity.Now we are looking at another solid country in the region falter,small world is right.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
spence

BBC is reporting that Mubarak's sons have fled to London.

-spence
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

With the cabinet resignation's there's not many he can get support from. This could get ugly.

I wonder if all the US money flowing in, and the weapons we supply would be pulled, if there was a religious direction change.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I wonder if all the US money flowing in, and the weapons we supply would be pulled, if there was a religious direction change.
I think that's a nobrainer. The reports yesterday were already that the White house threatened to yank the 1.5B in yearly aid if Mubarak cracked down too hard...

I'd wager that Obama would rather see Mubarak stay in power with deep concessions. Last thing we need is a country the size of Egypt to completely fall apart...I don't think there's a large enough radical presence to assert much power, but you'd certainly see the chess pieces in the region start to move around.

-spence
Old 01-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

Maybe if Mubarack can hold on to 2012, Barry can go over when he's done.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
spence

The real threat is a rise in the Muslim Brotherhood who would push politics toward the religious right and create tension with Israel.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The real threat is a rise in the Muslim Brotherhood who would push politics toward the religious right and create tension with Israel.
that's what I'm sayin. Like Iran
Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Fishpart
Keep The Change

The main reason for helping keep a Western friendly government in power is the Suez. Strategicly it is more important than the Panama canal right now...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
striperman36
Old Guy

What's the tonnage limit of the Suez? Most oil goes around not through the Suez, IMO it's been fading in importance
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
basswipe

Because of this situation its being speculated that the price of crude could spike at close to $200 a barrel.Will this happen probably not but I'm not taking any chances.Just bought 175gals. at $3.05 today.Will be delivered 1st thing Mon. morning.This should get me thru the majority of Feb/Mar.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
striperman36
Old Guy

that could be 5.50 diesel. Uh oh.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Because of this situation its being speculated that the price of crude could spike at close to $200 a barrel.Will this happen probably not but I'm not taking any chances.Just bought 175gals. at $3.05 today.Will be delivered 1st thing Mon. morning.This should get me thru the majority of Feb/Mar.
I just checked rates the other day and 3.05 looks to be pretty good.

This situation doesn't appear to be improving.

Looks like the Egyptian military is working with the US on what the hell to do.

-spence
Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #21
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
that could be 5.50 diesel. Uh oh.
Drill baby drill!!!! Maybe it's time Obama comes back from endless vacation and put American's back to work.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #22
basswipe

Quote:
I just checked rates the other day and 3.05 looks to be pretty good.

This situation doesn't appear to be improving.

Looks like the Egyptian military is working with the US on what the hell to do.

-spence
Already went up .10 since I called yesterday morning!I'm now sure I did the right thing.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Already went up .10 since I called yesterday morning!I'm now sure I did the right thing.
Good move as I believe it was headed to the high $3 range anyway
before this debacle.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #24
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Suez is still important for military sealift (equipment) and goods to and from Europe, hence the hijackings off Somolia.

No length restrictions, 254 feet wide, 66 feet draft, max height 223 above water level.

Last edited by Fishpart; 01-30-2011 at 08:47 PM..

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm no Obama apologist but not much he can do.
Yes there is. He could do what Regan did when citizens (subjects) of the USSR started protestring, and Regan made it clear that freeedom, and not tyranny, is what's best for the world. Regan had no problem calling the Soviet Union "evil", he did it all the time. And just like today, all the liberals told him not to say it. Regan realized that battle, the Cold War, was going to have a winner and a loser, and he made it crystal clear where we would be when it was over. And he was right.

Real, decisive leadership involves calling a spade a spade. We elected a guy who likes to vote "present", instead of yea or nea, on any tough issue. Obama is a joke. And what no one is saying is that Hilary has to be the worst Secstate of the last 100 years. In terms of foreign policy, they can't get one right even by accident.

Protesters get slaughtered in Iran, Obama/Clinton don't utter a peep. China refuses any concessions. European nations refuse to send additional troops to Afghanistan, and they refuse to finance their own stimulus packages. Iran gets closer and closer to nukes. The North Koreans are running amuck.

They are an absolute joke, we'd be better off with Abbott and Costello. Obama believes, he genuinely believes, he can charm all our enemies into liking us. If only that were so, but it ain't...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-30-2011 at 09:16 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Bingo...
Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
Nebe

Isreal is #^&#^&#^&#^&ting bricks over this.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #28
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Yes there is. He could do what Regan did when citizens (subjects) of the USSR started protestring, and Regan made it clear that freeedom, and not tyranny, is what's best for the world. Regan had no problem calling the Soviet Union "evil", he did it all the time. And just like today, all the liberals told him not to say it. Regan realized that battle, the Cold War, was going to have a winner and a loser, and he made it crystal clear where we would be when it was over. And he was right.

Real, decisive leadership involves calling a spade a spade. We elected a guy who likes to vote "present", instead of yea or nea, on any tough issue. Obama is a joke. And what no one is saying is that Hilary has to be the worst Secstate of the last 100 years. In terms of foreign policy, they can't get one right even by accident.

Protesters get slaughtered in Iran, Obama/Clinton don't utter a peep. China refuses any concessions. European nations refuse to send additional troops to Afghanistan, and they refuse to finance their own stimulus packages. Iran gets closer and closer to nukes. The North Koreans are running amuck.

They are an absolute joke, we'd be better off with Abbott and Costello. Obama believes, he genuinely believes, he can charm all our enemies into liking us. If only that were so, but it ain't...
Far different situation wrt Iron Curtain. And yes, he can certainly say a lot but how much can he do?

I know this won't work because it is far too over simplified
Backs Hosni - Hosni fails, IB gains status / face
Backs Protesters - looses Army

Now if he backs the Army, and the Army can move Egypt more democratic which still marginalizes IB, there is a chance. But if the economy on the street doesn't improve...

In the meantime there will likely be pull among the three lands that are trying to be / traditionally have been the center of gravity of the muslim world; Turkey, Iran, Egypt...

While I would love to see a sweep of real democracy across the Arab / Persian world, with functioning democracies and all, we are talking about the Arab world, perhaps the most (2nd most?) dysfunctional region in the world. South America has been transitioning for 100 something years and isn't done with all its past and current fall backs.

How could the Arab world do it sooner or safer?

We live in interesting times.

/ramble

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #29
spence

Quote:
Far different situation wrt Iron Curtain. And yes, he can certainly say a lot but how much can he do?
I think it's quite different. There's not a lot of love for the USA among the Egyptian street. If Obama is seen to be taking sides it's just going to empower groups like the Muslim Brotherhood who can point to US interference over the decades as the root of their economic problems.

So much of Reagan's rhetoric towards the USSR was simply political cover here at home while he actively worked with the Russians to negotiate deals as the cold war was winding down. Russia was falling apart and Reagan was looking for the best deal he could get. From what I've read both he and Gorbachev wanted to be seen as peacemakers.

I don't think there's any parallel between the situations Obama faces today...

No matter what happens in public, behind the scene I'm sure we're backing the military. I was reading up on how tight we actually are and it's quite dramatic.

-spence
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think it's quite different. There's not a lot of love for the USA among the Egyptian street. If Obama is seen to be taking sides it's just going to empower groups like the Muslim Brotherhood who can point to US interference over the decades as the root of their economic problems.

So much of Reagan's rhetoric towards the USSR was simply political cover here at home while he actively worked with the Russians to negotiate deals as the cold war was winding down. Russia was falling apart and Reagan was looking for the best deal he could get. From what I've read both he and Gorbachev wanted to be seen as peacemakers.

I don't think there's any parallel between the situations Obama faces today...

No matter what happens in public, behind the scene I'm sure we're backing the military. I was reading up on how tight we actually are and it's quite dramatic.

-spence
Spence, never you mind that the entire rational world credits Regan and Pope John Paul as being the 2 folks who had the most to do with not only ending the Cold War, but making sure that the good guys won. You cannot accept that, because Regan had an (R) after his name, and that's all that matters to you.

Regan did more than spout rhetoric. He led a massive military buildup that the Soviets couldn't match. His rhetoric also was very inspirational to oppressed dissidents like Lech Walesa, who were motivated by Regan's encouragement to continue to protest. Regan's actions put enormous pressure on a Soviet system that was, as you said, crumbling.

Obama, on the other hand, offers absolutely zip to political dissidents who are struggling for freedom. Obama will not stick his neck out unless he has to. Proof? All those "present" votes in the Illinois state legislature (he voted "present" more times than anyone else).

The extent that brainwashed liberals will go to, to distort reality and revise history, is entertaining.