Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 09-28-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
Flaptail

Talking Ebbing Wave Retrieve

This is a trick I learned many moons ago on the backside beaches ( Atlantic side ) of Monomoy when you could land a small boat anywhere on the island and fish. I found that with the large swell coming onshore this past weekend I pulled it out of the 'ol memory bank and lo and behold it still works! I was on a Provincelands beach and the swells were abnormaly high. A lot of the beach structure had been washed away leaving a long sloping expanse that the swells would ride way up on. This condition was very similar to the Monomoy surf. The P-Town surf never usually gets like this ( as a matter of fact, big surf is somewhat of a rarity up there as opposed to the more easterly facing beaches of say Truro south to Nauset.) Back then at Monomoy we learned to fish our plugs back very slowly and by trial and error, we knew when our plug was close to the shingle by the amount of drag on the plug and the increase in plug action. We found that by stopping the retrieve in that instance and walking backward ever so slowly the plug could be made to swim but stay stationary in the bulge of the wave which was just behind the breaking edge. The plug although technically still moving was staionary in the mass of water. This bulge is caused by the waves "fetching" up at the point where the slope of the beach meets that zone where there is a small ridge of usually one to two feet that marks the dividing line between bottom and beach slope. As the surge ( bulge) rides up and your bait is suspended in in it, any bass in the area using that dividing edge has a perfect view of the plug and is in the perfect position for an ambush attack. Also, as the the bulge recedes back into the next oncoming wave you, still not reeling, reverse your direction and walk slowly back towards the water all the while keeping tension on the plug in a delicate balance of your motion back into the surf but just slightly slower than the waves actual recession.

If you have a good amount of current up or down (parallel) and the swell is heavy but not breaking in tons of white water you can and we have been able to keep our plugs in the strike zone for hundreds of feet up or down a beach without moving the handle of the reel, all the while that plug, unless fouled by weeds, wiggles excitedly in that bulge of water. This is a rarity of course but it has happened when all the factors needed were in line.

99% of the bass I took Friday night were taken with this method. Try it. It takes a little mastering to get the feel down just right but once you have it nailed it can put a lot of fish on the beach. Good Luck, Flap.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Karl F

Thumbs up

Worded very well, Flap. I've tried to explain that, to guys I've fished with at Nauset, and gotten the look...
I only opened my yap, because I see a lot of guys give it up too early, they will almost skip the plug in over the last surging wave, and heave it back out. I am constantly amazed at how many bass there are, or just happen to hit, in that first roller.
That, and a lot of plugs you could just hold and keep repeating the walk up and back, under those conditions, without any retrieve......
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

Thanks Professor Flaptail,you keep me learnin.
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
spence

Interesting, I've found my self doing a similar thing at my favorite beach. Perhaps I'll actually think about it

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:23 AM   #6
kippy
Got Necco's?

Great post Flap, very informative. I will have to try this out.

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
striperjerk1
Still A Plugger

Thumbs up

Great Post Flap, this is definitely one of the timeless how to,s.
Especially when i read it 4 or 5 times. I,m speechless.

Dennis
Retired
striperjerk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:17 PM   #8
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

Karl Mid 90's around #2 use to hold on the inside of the bar
it was the bar that parelelled the beach about 60 feet out.

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Karl F

bump....this one should be sticky too, as good as the shadow line words of wisdom.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Backbeach Jake

Indeed. Perfect situation for 710/704. Just wind backward. Just finished reading The Shadowline. He taught something about a beach that I fished from childhood and didn't know. An artist ..
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Rob Rockcrawler

That same technique killed the fish for me out at block in october. I got a couple hits close in on needles, and when i switched to a metal lip i would let it hang out in the kill zone and was getting crushed.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Frankiesurf

I never thought about taking it to that extreme but I always do something similar. Not the walking back and forth or down the beach but letting the plug just sit in one spot when I feel the pull. It certainly has produced as fish do hang at the lip waiting for bait to get tossed around.

Thanks!

Frankiesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
justintrask

I want to bump this up - I read this earlier in the year, and had a situation in soco this fall where I used it, and it worked extremely well.
justintrask is offline   Reply With Quote