Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
chrisjoe13

Good ole Rhody

Here's my story of recent injustice.

On Monday I got something from the DMV saying that my license will be suspended on March 11. The reason indicated was "not entitled to license issue". I've only gotten one ticket in the last several years (paid it) so I had no idea why I got this notice. Couldn't find anything out on-line or get through via phone so I went to traffic tribunal in the AM. This place was clean, organized and I was immediately helped at the Clerk's desk. She took my paper, poked around on the computer for about 30 sec. and printed something out. She said the issue was with a speeding ticket that I got in 1995! Thats 15 years ago! She said the system is being purged and some of the older info is not being recognized. So she signs the paper and writes "paid in full", stamps the paper and tells me I have to go to Operator Control to resolve this. I drive the 1/2 mile to this building and immediately know that this part won't be good. This building is nasty and run down, there are people packed to the gills, and everyone seems aggravated (typical DMV type experience). After about 30min., I get to check in. I give the person both papers (the letter I got and the paper showing I paid this ticket in full (15 years ago!). The women barely glances at the papers and tells me to have a seat. I ask her if I'm going to have to wait for all these people and she says Yes. So I find a piece of wall to lean against, and thats what I continued to do for the next 2 1/2 hours. At this point I have to get to work, so I go up to retrieve my paperwork. After a few minutes she comes back, I point out that I am there because of a mistake in Their system and have already provided proof of this. She blankly looks at me, tells me nothing she can do and that I'll have to come back to avoid the suspension. So thats what I'll be doing tomorrow morning.

Isn't this crazy?! I think I could rob a bank and after this much time the statute of limitations would run out, but a speeding ticket ($67) that I PAID IN FULL fifteen years ago?
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Nebe

Just one more reason why those who can leave, leave... Try owning a business with employees in this state... ridiculous.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjoe13 View Post
Here's my story of recent injustice.

On Monday I got something from the DMV saying that my license will be suspended on March 11. The reason indicated was "not entitled to license issue". I've only gotten one ticket in the last several years (paid it) so I had no idea why I got this notice. Couldn't find anything out on-line or get through via phone so I went to traffic tribunal in the AM. This place was clean, organized and I was immediately helped at the Clerk's desk. She took my paper, poked around on the computer for about 30 sec. and printed something out. She said the issue was with a speeding ticket that I got in 1995! Thats 15 years ago! She said the system is being purged and some of the older info is not being recognized. So she signs the paper and writes "paid in full", stamps the paper and tells me I have to go to Operator Control to resolve this. I drive the 1/2 mile to this building and immediately know that this part won't be good. This building is nasty and run down, there are people packed to the gills, and everyone seems aggravated (typical DMV type experience). After about 30min., I get to check in. I give the person both papers (the letter I got and the paper showing I paid this ticket in full (15 years ago!). The women barely glances at the papers and tells me to have a seat. I ask her if I'm going to have to wait for all these people and she says Yes. So I find a piece of wall to lean against, and thats what I continued to do for the next 2 1/2 hours. At this point I have to get to work, so I go up to retrieve my paperwork. After a few minutes she comes back, I point out that I am there because of a mistake in Their system and have already provided proof of this. She blankly looks at me, tells me nothing she can do and that I'll have to come back to avoid the suspension. So thats what I'll be doing tomorrow morning.

Isn't this crazy?! I think I could rob a bank and after this much time the statute of limitations would run out, but a speeding ticket ($67) that I PAID IN FULL fifteen years ago?

i would go to the police station and show them the paperwork instead and circumvent the registry altogether. Then if you ever got stopped they'd already have it on record.This reminds me of the time that our excise taxes were "thought" to be not paid in a former town we lived in which creates a cancellation of your license without you even knowing about it even though you had moved and paid them in the next town.

i remember going to the collections department to explain that the excise tax had been paid in this town and i displayed the receipt up to the glass window... which clearly showed the tax had been paid. The Lady just said to me... just "pay" the 60 bucks and it'll all be taken care of even though the original tax was only 15 dollars.

i became outraged at that point.... AND said to here with daggers in my eyes

LADY !
i would give up my US citizenship and become a Canadian before i paid this TAX twice =>so get it thru your head....that i DO NOT OWE THIS now or EVER after it was already PAID.

That seemed to wake her up from her programmed stupor and she took it off the records at that point.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
i would go to the police station and show them the paperwork instead and circumvent the registry altogether. Then if you ever got stopped they'd already have it on record.
This won't circumvent anything....when you get pulled over they will run you through their computer....as far as they are concerned the registry says you aren't licensed to drive.....and off you go to jail.

if you think you are being inconvenienced, because of the registry's screw up, because you have to wait in line to fix it.....think about how you will be inconveneinced when they are taking away your belt and shoe laces at the station.

Just suck it up and get it fixed.....everybody knows that dealing with the registry is a PITA.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 03-04-2010 at 10:09 AM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
chrisjoe13

Just suck it up and get it fixed.....everybody knows that dealing with the registry is a PITA.[/QUOTE]

That what I'm going to do but it just sucks that even when you do everything right you still get screwed once in a while!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
FishermanTim

Isn't just a joy to know that even though it was THEIR screw-up, you get to experience the fun and frivality of the DMV/RMV up close and personal.

I had my own experience (from15-20yrs ago) with the RMV in MA.
I couldn't renew my drivers license due to an outstanding tax bill.

It seems that a guy on my block has the same SS# as me, except the first 3 #'s were reversed. I was receiving an excise bill for his car.

I didn't own a vehicle at that time, so I replied back that there must have been a mistake. They mailed theie reply: No, that info is correct.
I re-replied that that is wrong, and that I don't own that vehicle, and that if this persist, I will have to file a stolen vehicle report. They reply:No you can't do that. I reply: Well, since I don't have the vehicle, it's obviously stolen, and since you are making me pay a tax for the car, I want it back!
They did more extensive research (a rarity in this state) and found their error. Of course that wasn't until the last notice from the RMV sent one last reminder to"Just pay it".

After 4 month of back-and-forth mailing, the issue was FINALLY resolved in my favor.

Now, although I did know someone that worked in the RMV, the system in place is a joke, and it only forces the resulting problems to become a constant part of the everyday workings of the RMV.

In simple terms: They reap what they have sown, they get what they deserve. Unfortunately WE aren't getting what we pay for, which is good, accurate and timely service.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Bocephus

My experiences with the DMV in MA have been great. RI really needs to do something. If it hasnt gotten better in 20yrs, then it wont ever unless they change. I wont get into my own BS with the RI DMV, but it was plenty. I actually had to get the AG involved, then I sued the DMV, and won. And we all lived happily ever after....in Massachusetts.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
chrisjoe13

The rest of the story: I went back this week (operator control), gave the same two papers, and waited (only about an hour this time). They call me up and show me a third document. It says that the payment was due on 10/28/95 but they received my payment on 11/7/95. I was told that my license should have been suspended then but they missed it, so...they are suspending it now. I stare blankly at them as I am told that I need to pay the reinstatement fee of $151.50. Fortunately, there is an ATM machine there, so I pay and leave. Oh well, what are you gonna do. At this point, what bothers me is that up until last spring the fee was $76.50 and I'm sure it was less in 1995!
Old 03-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
spence

I'd write a nasty letter to the Governor's office. You won't get your money back but they need to hear that the voters they serve are not happy with the level of service.

A buddy of mine let his license elapse (yes, this was his own fault) for some time. He had to get a learner's permit and go through the entire process like he wasn't a 44 year old man.

It took him 4 months...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
chrisjoe13

I will write a letter, but to Roberts (Lt. Gov) not Carcieri. If I wrote to Carcieri, my letter would just blend in with the thousands of complaints he must get (he's a rich clown, at least its only 10 months till he's gone).
Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

In Mass, a lot depends on what Registry branch you use.

I've never run into a rude clerk or spent more than 20 minutes before being called to the window at the Falmouth branch.

I hope they don't close it down the road.

RI has always been a fuster cluck. Even the NY DMV isn't as bad--average wait time there was 30 minutes or so, and they check all of your paperwork when you walk in and get your call number--if something isn't right, they let you know and give you the correct form or tell you what you need to get before you wait 30-45 minutes and find out at the window. The anticipated wait time is also printed on the ticket, and in most cases, the actual wait time is shorter.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
spence

So I drove my buddy to his drivers test and let them use my vehicle.

Pawtucket is the only location you can take a drivers test in the entire state now, and scheduling a date takes forever. So you show up, and these guys are just standing around on the curb waiting for johns, um, I mean students.

My buddy picks one up and the guy is happy as a clam he's been driving for 25 years...less chance he's going to die.

During the test, he lists all the injuries has acquired over the years and tells of the times they get assaulted when they fail people. The state won't pay for police and the driving instructors aren't union.

I understand the cutbacks, but this is beyond pathetic.

-spence
Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
FishermanTim

Write a letter to the Gov, Lt. Gov and let them know that you are also sending a letter to the media (TV & newspaper).
Let them know that you aren't just going to take it lying down and that you want to let the public know what the DMV is doing.

This sounds like another case of a system that makes up it's own rules and enforces them without scrutiny.
I would be fuming if I were told that I had to pay for THEIR mistake!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So I drove my buddy to his drivers test and let them use my vehicle.

Pawtucket is the only location you can take a drivers test in the entire state now, and scheduling a date takes forever. So you show up, and these guys are just standing around on the curb waiting for johns, um, I mean students.

My buddy picks one up and the guy is happy as a clam he's been driving for 25 years...less chance he's going to die.

During the test, he lists all the injuries has acquired over the years and tells of the times they get assaulted when they fail people. The state won't pay for police and the driving instructors aren't union.

I understand the cutbacks, but this is beyond pathetic.

-spence
Sounds like another one of your made up stories. Stop lying.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Sounds like another one of your made up stories. Stop lying.
Lying is a pretty serious charge. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

-spence
Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #16
fishbones

Quote:
Lying is a pretty serious charge. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

-spence
I believe the part about a 44 year old having to go through the whole licensing process again. The part I don't believe is the part about you having a friend. Maybe there's a desperate aquaintance who might let you give them a ride after all their other options are exhausted, but I doubt even that. A round trip in a car with you from East Bay to Pawtucket might be more unpleasant than dealing with the registry.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
I believe the part about a 44 year old having to go through the whole licensing process again. The part I don't believe is the part about you having a friend. Maybe there's a desperate aquaintance who might let you give them a ride after all their other options are exhausted, but I doubt even that. A round trip in a car with you from East Bay to Pawtucket might be more unpleasant than dealing with the registry.
I have lots of friends, some even walk on two feet. And there's always RIJIMMY...hell, he's got to get the bait on his hook somehow.

-spence
Old 03-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
fishbones

Quote:
I have lots of friends, some even walk on two feet. And there's always RIJIMMY...hell, he's got to get the bait on his hook somehow.

-spence
I'm putting RIJIMMY through bait fishing behavior modification for the next month. He's going to become a plug guy this year. Then it's just you and JohnnyD fishing your eels and sitting by the campfire talking about how much you love the big O.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
cheferson

thats nothing, you see my gansett tow thread 2 summers ago???
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
JohnnyD

Quote:
I'm putting RIJIMMY through bait fishing behavior modification for the next month. He's going to become a plug guy this year. Then it's just you and JohnnyD fishing your eels and sitting by the campfire talking about how much you love the big O.
Hey, hey, hey.... I pretty much only fish eels at the canal. And last year, I made about half the trips as I made the year before.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote