Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #61
Squid kids Dad

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&..I really think choggie was funnin

I'm going where I'm going...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #62
choggieman

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, my issues are with ignorant people who have no reguard for the enviroment. Anybody who does not take into consideration his actions and how they will affect there surroundings is a simpleton. Someone who would do something that is potentially hazardous to an ecosystem without reguard to the long term effect is an ass. I guess a simple mind will think " how big a livewell I will need" where as the rest of the world may ask " what will my happen if this fish is introduced into an ecosystem and wreaks havoc upon it."
My example of the black salty competing with the american eel was just that, an example of what could happen. A more realistic scenario would be to say these fish become a predator of striped bass eggs in a spawning ground like the susquehanna flats. Without thinking before hand you set yourself up for certain failure.
As for being on someones couch..its ignoramuses like you that may land me there some day. Simple minds like yours drive me insane. The inane drivel reminds me of when I worked with the special olympics. But I guess if we didn't have people who think like you, we wouldn't have anyone to dig ditches.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #63
CaptDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe
Depends on your definition of a lab.A laboratory is a controlled environment and the aquaculture ponds of Anderson that these fish were developed in certainly meet that criteria.They WERE developed in a lab.Also selective breeding IS genetic manipution.

Doesn't matter that they die in slatwater there will always be some moron who'll want his own private stash and will throw some in the local pond/lake.Introducing non-native species in a closed freshwater environment is risky.

But again as I said in my original post so far there have been no problems where these baitfish have been used.I'm neither for or against there use,I'm just saying caution is needed.

Btw what's up with quote function?That don't look right.
Okay, if that qualifies for the definition of a lab, so be it. In my minds eye, I picture a lab as a place with test tubes, white lab coats, microscopes, bunson burners, etc., but everyone has their opinions, and I'm not saying yours is incorrect. However, the genes of these fish are not manipulated in any way, but bred to be the heartiest and healthiest they can. Any breeder seeks out the qualities best desired in a certain species, much as horse breeders, dog breeders, etc, would, so I must disagree with your assessment that they are genetically altered. Semantics would be the case here, as genetic manipulation is a very bad way to describe the simple selective breeding to make a species strong, in my opinion. I am agreeing with you wholeheartedly on the need for care with any introduced species to a closed environment, and in no way do I condone or encourage some yahoo to start throwing them enmasse into fresh water, period. I guess in all walks of life there will be differing opinions, I'll have to be satisfied with those that will embrace these fish and use them successfully and responsibly, and hopefully none of the concerns that have been raised here will ever come to pass with Black Saltys or any other fish.

I hope everyone has a good start to the season, I know that the squid run has started, the mackeral are showing, and keepers to 15 pounds have been landed in the bay. Won't be long till we are all occupied with tight lines and fat fish, and can leave the hypothetical debates till winter ....
Old 05-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #64
Sea Dangles

Anxiously awaiting #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s rebuttal.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #65
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by choggieman
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, my issues are with ignorant people who have no reguard for the enviroment. Anybody who does not take into consideration his actions and how they will affect there surroundings is a simpleton. Someone who would do something that is potentially hazardous to an ecosystem without reguard to the long term effect is an ass. I guess a simple mind will think " how big a livewell I will need" where as the rest of the world may ask " what will my happen if this fish is introduced into an ecosystem and wreaks havoc upon it."
My example of the black salty competing with the american eel was just that, an example of what could happen. A more realistic scenario would be to say these fish become a predator of striped bass eggs in a spawning ground like the susquehanna flats. Without thinking before hand you set yourself up for certain failure.
As for being on someones couch..its ignoramuses like you that may land me there some day. Simple minds like yours drive me insane. The inane drivel reminds me of when I worked with the special olympics. But I guess if we didn't have people who think like you, we wouldn't have anyone to dig ditches.

Ok so a guy walks into a tackle shop and says "I would like a dozen Black Salties" Clerk says "Sure" Then the guy hesitates, puts his hand to his head, takes a big puff on his pipe, furls his eye brows and says.."Wait a minute there young fella", "before you load one goldfish into that bucket , I have some deep rooted concerns that just became apparent to me in an epifany"

Clerk looks at his comrades and shakes his head "uh-oh".........

Yes sir! the clerk says! "I am afraid to use those goldfish" " In the two seconds I have been here my mind has begun racing with the thought of the ecosystem degrading into the abyss if I dare to hook one of those things, there could be grave imminant danger to the fragile ecosystem,! "because I am an adult, but I have a tendancy to dump untold numbers of baitfish into freshwater areas after I am done fishing" "I cant help myself, Introducing goldfish like baitfishes to these places is an urge I cannot resist" "Therefore I simply cannot purchase these in good faith"........."I lay awake at night with mishevious thoughts and visions of marouding goldfish eating untold numbers of bass eggs on the flats someplace"

Accoring to you the above is how a "normal person thinks" most will not be stupid enough to toss them into fresh water

You know I never dug a ditch, plenty of fence post holes but never a ditch.Simple minds? Please never underestimate the power of the handicap!

I am indeed a savant! A "bass-savant" I have been gifted with the ability to catch large numbers of huge linesides My narrow shallow mind tells me Black Salties will catch untold numbers of bass, I can't think beyond that, My livewell is to small, somebody please help me, I need a new livewell, please can you help me out.....I just want to catch fish.

The simple one here is you.........Where in any of my posts did I say "I dont care about the enviroment? I just think a shrink can help you with your goldfish problem....

By the way, people who dig ditches have more respect from me than people who wear a suit and tie and steal money from people..Like big oil.........I know a few guys who put there kids though higher education from digging holes...Hard work. There the real people!You dont measure a man by what he does for a living, you have just offended ditch diggers near and wide

Go live line a Choggie...................

Last edited by eelman; 05-03-2006 at 06:24 AM..
Old 05-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #66
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDom
I hope everyone has a good start to the season, I know that the squid run has started, the mackeral are showing, and keepers to 15 pounds have been landed in the bay. Won't be long till we are all occupied with tight lines and fat fish, and can leave the hypothetical debates till winter ....
Yup....
heard the macks were bruisers.... headed out tonight

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #67
Nebe

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, you are fooling yourself if you think your enviromentally minded when you fish. You have stated yourself on this forum that if eels were added to the endangered species act, you would still use them and that you are certian there will be a black market for them..

If you were truely an enviro-mental friendly fisherman, you wouldnt use eels at all, but instead you are truely concerned with one thing..I'll let you figure that one out for yourself.

If you care to argue this, answer one question for me..
How many bass and eels did you kill last season??

Its your kind of mentallity that broght on the bass moratorium

I could go on, but i think you get my point.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #68
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy
Bunker
Scup
cunner
sea bass
shad
mummi
eel
sea robin
snapper
you missed one.........BLAAAACK SAAAAAAAAAAAALTTTTYYYYYYYY!!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:42 AM   #69
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

OK, so here we go with the name calling, personal disparagements and general crap slinging and it's only March 3rd.
I'm not one of the mods on the Board but I get tired of this stuff real quick. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. NOW PLAY NICE!!!

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #70
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I think everything that needs to be said here has been said. This is just a pissing contest now. I'm locking it down.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Closed Thread