Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
spence

Prescription sunglasses

I think I'm giving up on contacts. I can't wear them while working at the computer and the toric lenses are a PITA when fishing or biking or generally doing anything that causes your eyes to dry out. Rockhopping is particularly challenging.

This means I need new shades. I've always been a Maui Jim fan but prescription ones are around 7 bills. My insurance will cover some of it but it's still big money.

Any other good quality options out there?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
bassballer

Spence i just gave up on contacts too. I just cant wear them. I had some money on a health debit card and blew it on RX sunglasses. I went to SPECS in middletown, they are a Costa dealer. I picked up a pair of 580P Blackfins and had them put RX lenses into my Oakley Holbrooks. Service was good. The RX costas are the best sunglasses ive ever owned. Insane on the water. Total bill for everything was $900.00 for pairs. You can have them put Maui Rx lenses in your existing for around $200 i think.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

I had ray bans for awhile they were decent. I had the lenses cut and bought em polarized. I wound up by doing the opposite. Got accuvue oasis for astigmatism. And bought Costas. The oasis lenses are extremely comfortable. I rarely remember I am wearing em.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
bart
Red Eye Jedi

I've worn night and day contacts and hopped rocks 3 times a week going on 10 years now. Never had an issue (knock on wood) and actually can't even imagine wearing glasses because of spray from the saltwater.

With that being said, I work for Oakley and I get a nice little discount. Spence and Jay, PM me if you see something you want...
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Redsoxticket

I've got a contact that can obtain 50% off of any brand. Would like to have a nice stylish pair for driving, and looking cool but I don't know squat about proper fit and styles. I may need to ask Spence for styles and JohnR the type for big noggins. As far as fishing only glasses I would prefer good inexpensive pair UV polycarbonate lens that I can care less about loss and damage
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
I've got a contact that can obtain 50% off of any brand. Would like to have a nice stylish pair for driving, and looking cool but I don't know squat about proper fit and styles. I may need to ask Spence for styles and JohnR the type for big noggins. As far as fishing only glasses I would prefer good inexpensive pair UV polycarbonate lens that I can care less about loss and damage
For inexpensive check the Suncloud line. They are manufactured by Smith optics and every pair is 49.99. I think the Polarized lenses are as good as my Oakleys were. they are a great buy.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
DZ

I second Specs in Middletown. Dr Al Rispoli is my surfcasting partner and knows how to deal with your eyes and fishing. He'll give you good care and advice.

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

The thing with glasses as opposed to contacts, which I've never worn, fog up in the a.m., or get very moistured up on high humidity mornings, which can really inhibit rock hopping. Looking down for that next safe step sucks when the lenses are fog over.
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
spence

Yes, one of the reasons I went to contacts was because of glasses fogging up. The problem I have with contacts is eyes getting dry and the toric lenses not being able to rotate and center themselves....which really screws up your depth perception if you have astigmatism.

Possibly this is because I don't wear them enough and my eyes aren't used to them...not sure.

Checked and real MJ replacements are 400 with a good quality generic about 270. At that point might just get new glasses and have them under warranty.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

I've been very happy with my Rayban polarized sunglasses for fishing.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
I had some money on a health debit card and blew it on RX sunglasses.
I have a HSA and can apply it towards these...at least it's tax exempt.

-spence
Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
JamesJet

[QUOTE=spence;1015077]Yes, one of the reasons I went to contacts was because of glasses fogging up. The problem I have with contacts is eyes getting dry and the toric lenses not being able to rotate and center themselves....which really screws up your depth perception if you have astigmatism.

Possibly this is because I don't wear them enough and my eyes aren't used to them...not sure.

I have a very high astigmatism as well, used to wear contacts and frankly as the market moved towards comfort the lenses just weren't made the same as far as staying on their proper axis. I even tried to go back to gas permeable lenses and they still weren't great. Found myself doing the re-adjust touching the lenses all the time trying to get them to focus. I now have glasses. Sux to swap back and forth, its another thing to take room, leave behind, break etc. There is some anti fog wipes that work pretty well but there are times that there is nothing you can do. Sounds like some people here have great deals, but I got mine during a buy one pair get the second pair for like 50% deal at the store and got a new everyday pair and a pair of sunglasses. Insurance and the flex spending also help. Honestly I wish the contacts worked better for me but in the end I just couldn't see as well as I should and needed to make the switch.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
bassballer

If I stopped buying fishing stuff I could just lasik