Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

The stimulus is working!

Job market takes turn for worse
The battered U.S. labor market took a step back last month as employers trimmed more jobs from their payrolls, according to a new report today. There was a net loss of 467,000 jobs in June. This was the first time in four months that the number of jobs lost rose from the previous month, CNNMoney reports. full story

Imagine how many REALLY would would have been lost if we didnt pass the super emergency stimulus!!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Nebe

a lot more...
Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
PaulS

Wish is was lower but at least its not 741,000 like in Jan.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

I have friends out of work in there field of expertise for 16 months. Their COBRA ends in 60 days. They're baggin at Wal-Mart for burgers.
I also have friends that have lost their positions over the last 60 days due to offshoring restructuring.
I don't see it getting better, no matter how or who is spending the money
Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
fishsmith
DDG-51

Keep Hoping, and save some money for your kids, cause they're f***ed.

How
Our
President
Is (killing)
Next
Generations
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Job market takes turn for worse
The battered U.S. labor market took a step back last month as employers trimmed more jobs from their payrolls, according to a new report today. There was a net loss of 467,000 jobs in June. This was the first time in four months that the number of jobs lost rose from the previous month, CNNMoney reports. full story

Imagine how many REALLY would would have been lost if we didnt pass the super emergency stimulus!!

Obama, Gibbs and Spence would say...."actually, the numbers are promising and trending in the right direction, the experts had predicted in excess of 700,000 lost jobs so we effectively "CREATED or SAVED" nearly 300,000 jobs last month, the stimulus is working and Obama is a huge success"
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Obama, Gibbs and Spence would say...."actually, the numbers are promising and trending in the right direction, the experts had predicted in excess of 700,000 lost jobs so we effectively "CREATED or SAVED" nearly 300,000 jobs last month, the stimulus is working and Obama is a huge success"
No, they'd probably say:

"From the beginning of this, jobs have been expected to be the last thing to start on the upswing. Everyone has consistently said that the jobs situation will get worse and probably won't start improving until late-2009."

But hey, it's the largest economy in the world. Bush took 8 years to royally eff it up. Why can't it be fixed overnight?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
No, they'd probably say:

"From the beginning of this, jobs have been expected to be the last thing to start on the upswing. Everyone has consistently said that the jobs situation will get worse and probably won't start improving until late-2009."

But hey, it's the largest economy in the world. Bush took 8 years to royally eff it up. Why can't it be fixed overnight?
Well, Johhny. If they were to say that, the'd be lying. The Administration has already claimed to have created 150,000 jobs as a direct result of the stimulus. Yet, even the head of the Bureau of Labor Statistics can't confirm that.

In fact, the only industry that has had significant growth in job #'s since the stimulus package is the goverment (i.e patronage jobs for friends of the administration).

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
No, they'd probably say:

The ROOT CAUSE of what we are experiencing today is a direct result of Clinton policies, it takes that long for the economic cycles to develop. Just as people don't realize the posperity we enjoyed durign the Clinton years were a result of what Regan put in place so many years sooner. Imagine if we were still making all the stuff that went offshore as a result of China Free Trade Agreement (clinton) and moved south because of NAFTA (clinton).

I am an O-BOT, it is all Bushes fault...........

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

WASHINGTON – With joblessness rising, President Barack Obama said Thursday he was "deeply concerned" about unemployment and conceded that too many families are worried about "whether they will be next" to suffer economically.

In a White House interview with The Associated Press, Obama said that since he took office, "we have successfully stabilized the financial markets," and "started to see some stabilization on housing."

WE have stabilized the markets???? Huh? all you did was cause panic and concern, telling everyone it was a catasrophe waiting to happen! This guy just bets that most people are morons and have no memory.....so far he is right.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

What happened to all the shovel ready jobs Obama promised us back in January.

My son in-law, union electrician, is out of work for the first time since he started 15 years ago.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
What happened to all the shovel ready jobs Obama promised us back in January.

My son in-law, union electrician, is out of work for the first time since he started 15 years ago.
I know of a lot of union people out of work, where non-union folks are keeping their jobs. The non-union companies seem to be able to stay more competitive, not being restricted by union contracts.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I know of a lot of union people out of work, where non-union folks are keeping their jobs. The non-union companies seem to be able to stay more competitive, not being restricted by union contracts.
I understand JD, but the company he works for is the largest in the state,
and they have no work after just finishing their last job, hence the remark about shovel ready jobs.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Fly Rod

Yup! Sure looks like the Stimulus is working with 467,000 more jobs lost last month. Economist were off by as much as 100,000, they predicted 363,000, that brings about 14.7 million people out of work.

Those that are working should start following in a squrriels foot steps as they are already stocking up for hard times down the road. We should be doing the same thing, instead of acorns we should be purchasing extra dry goods and can food. Some will not heed this warning. You don't have to panic and panic buy things, just buy a little extra every week.

If you do not need the extra after the DEPRESSION sets in give it to a food bank, or better yet to a family member in need.

Last edited by Fly Rod; 07-02-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
spence

Didn't RIJIMMY start this exact same dumb thread just the other week?

-spence
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
And he will every month until jobs increase.

Even though from the start, it has been predicted that jobs will not start to recoup until at least late-2009.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
Cool Beans

Quote:

-spence
Once again, Spence Alynski strikes out with his "higher intellect" against the simple folk on the right.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
Once again, Spence Alynski strikes out with his "higher intellect" against the simple folk on the right.
Times must be pretty tough when you have to resort to plagiarizing ScottW to get in a lame jab

-spence
Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #19
Joe

Squirrels don't actually remember where they put the nuts they hid in autumn during winter, they simply bury the nuts within their territory and then look for them in winter.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #20
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Those that are working should start following in a squrriels foot steps as they are already stocking up for hard times down the road. We should be doing the same thing, instead of acorns we should be purchasing extra dry goods and can food. Some will not heed this warning. You don't have to panic and panic buy things, just buy a little extra every week.
Crap, people just don't realize what it takes to go burying canned and non-perishable goods all over their yard, forgetting where after a few non-perishable beers, and then needing to dig them up some months later. Ever see the movie Holes?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
fishbones

Quote:
And he will every month until jobs increase.

Even though from the start, it has been predicted that jobs will not start to recoup until at least late-2009.
It's already mid 2009. And on top of that, both Biden and Obama have been claiming that the economy and unemployment have improved. Obama, like most politicians plays both sides of the fence. He says things are improving, but then says he'll need years for things to be better. I guess with so many followers willing to believe anything he says, he can't go wrong.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
It's already mid 2009. And on top of that, both Biden and Obama have been claiming that the economy and unemployment have improved. Obama, like most politicians plays both sides of the fence. He says things are improving, but then says he'll need years for things to be better. I guess with so many followers willing to believe anything he says, he can't go wrong.
So it's not reasonable to assert that things are getting better but it will take time to see more dramatic improvement?

This is what 90+% of the economists are also saying.

-spence
Old 07-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Cool Beans

Quote:
Times must be pretty tough when you have to resort to plagiarizing ScottW to get in a lame jab

-spence
Okay, maybe you're right, I'll come up with a new nick for you then. I think I'll do this David Letterman style.

My Top Ten nicknames for Spence are:

#10 Spence Kennedy as Spence could probably spin his way out of murder too.

#9 Spence A. Gore because he buys into man made global warming.

#8 Spence Kerry as he can put a room full of people to sleep with his mind powers.

#7 Rev. Spence Sharpton as all of his postings are through a bullhorn and come down from on high. (even though you sometimes don't know what he says).

#6 Spence T. Daschle as Spence would be a good addition to Air America's lineup.

#5 Spence Lieberman as he could probably spin himself into playing both sides of any issue.

#4 Reverend Spence Jackson, as he jumps on certain issues faster than the NAACP.

#3 Spence J. Edwards as Spence can also pass as the "Breck Girl".

#2 Spence R. Limbaugh just because being named after Rush will "cheese" him off!!!

My #1 nickname for Spence is "Spence Lewinsky"
as he seems to do for Obama what Monica did for Bill.

Seriously though Spence, I'm just having fun with you.
I'm sure you're a "great American" and you mean well. We just happen to be on opposite sides on our belief on where our country is headed right now.
If you are correct, in a few years we'll have a worldwide "HugFest" and if I'm right, we may end up like the USSR and broken into little America's. It happened pretty fast over there, and Putin says we are following their footsteps by spending ourselves to extinction.

I kinda hope you're right. Spence Lewinsky.

Last edited by Cool Beans; 07-03-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
scottw

Quote:
So it's not reasonable to assert that things are getting better but it will take time to see more dramatic improvement?

-spence
"things are getting better" one of your more brilliant assertions...guess it depends on the meaning of "things" is

"but it will take time to see more dramatic improvement..." wow, that's REALLY going out on a limb....

"This is what 90+% of the economists are also saying." prove it, I'm guessing most economists would be embarassed to have an opinion that inane
Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
Seriously though Spence, I'm just having fun with you.
I'm sure you're a "great American" and you mean well. We just happen to be on opposite sides on our belief on where our country is headed right now.
Actually we're not. You just don't really read any of my posts very closely...

-spence
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #26
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
"This is what 90+% of the economists are also saying." prove it, I'm guessing most economists would be embarassed to have an opinion that inane
Thinking an economist would consider a trend to be inane really demonstrates you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

-spence
Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #27
fishbones

Quote:

-spence

Spence, you'll have to show me the economists that are claiming it's getting better. I haven't seen too many saying that.

It's not really reasonable to claim that things are getting better as more and more people are becoming jobless. In fact, I've actually read that the economy has still not bottomed out yet. I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that raising taxes and not creating jobs isn't the best Rx for the economy right now.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #28
Cool Beans

Quote:
Actually we're not. You just don't really read any of my posts very closely...

-spence
LOL, now you sound like the wife, "You have to read between the lines" and "feel" what I mean. I try to read every word you post, but sometimes it's hard to follow your, kinda like reading writing on tissue paper spinning in the toilet.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #29
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Spence, you'll have to show me the economists that are claiming it's getting better. I haven't seen too many saying that.

It's not really reasonable to claim that things are getting better as more and more people are becoming jobless. In fact, I've actually read that the economy has still not bottomed out yet. I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that raising taxes and not creating jobs isn't the best Rx for the economy right now.
I don't think anyone would expect the unemployment situation to precede business growth for two reasons:

1) Companies are not going to increase payroll until they can afford to, and believe they have enough stability to make a longer term investment in training etc...

2) Cash flow stress demands that companies streamline their business and processes allowing them to do more with less. Those that survive will have an increased ability to grow revenues with a smaller workforce. In other words, they don't need to hire back as quickly. The hiring will come as the business expands which may take more time.

Nearly every article I've read in the past 30 days has said many economic statistics from housing to cars appear to have bottomed out, that the economy should show growth later this year.

Quote:
A recent [June 19th, 2009] Reuters poll finds economists predict an average of 0.4% GDP growth in the U.S. in the third quarter and 1.6% growth in the fourth.
If true this would mean the recession technically would end Q1, 2010 even though unemployment would still be high.

That's not to say that unemployment will rebound as rapidly. Most from what I've also read agree that rising unemployment will be a problem well into 2010, and that this will put a drag on economic progress.

-spence
Old 07-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #30
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I would be Gore by the way..

and it isn't buying in...
it is about reading the SCIENCE and educating yourself, instead of believing we have no impact on the planet...

but I don't want to hijack...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"