Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
JohnnyD

"Go %&#@ Yourself" - unless you live in Middleboro...

So in a vote of 183-50, the citizens in the town of Middleboro game police the authority to fine citizens $20 for using "offensive words" in public. Middleboro has a population of about 22,000, and had a turnout of 233 people or just over 1%.

I'm not sure which subject should be the bigger story:
- The blatant infringement on Free Speech
or
- A town of 22,000 having only 1% of the population show up to a town meeting and permitting that group to vote on ordinances like this.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
- A town of 22,000 having only 1% of the population show up to a town meeting and permitting that group to vote on ordinances like this.
That's prolly around right JD, in reality only about 1% prolly really care.
If it was about tax increases, or getting free cheese you can bet it would be closer to 60%.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

they've been on NPR all day, it's friggin funny, no more cussin at Slips house.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Its been on the books for decades...they just basically decriminalized it so that all that it results in is a fine instead of a court appearance

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
they've been on NPR all day, it's friggin funny, no more cussin at Slips house.
nope, plenty of swearing here nothing wrong with swearing in my own home, it is not a public place.
Although, I am proud to say that my 18 year old daughter has never in her life said one swear word.

TDF is correct
also, the punks up town can't shout their curse filled conversations across the street to each other in public if there is a police officer nearby.

No, I did not go to the meeting, but if I could have, I would have. I was busy getting a massage after killing myself at cutty all weekend and then finishing up an installation on Monday my back was junk.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Raven

free cheese -lol
Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Such a stupid friggin ordinance???? 1%???? At least the town is smart enough to know.....there are more important things to deal with!!!! #^&#^&#^&#^&in' moron selectmen!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
Raven

true BF...so what's next a swear Jar @ S-B
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Sea Dangles

Free speech was never and will never take the place of courtesy. When children or women are nearby there should not be a right to swear,it's just plain ignorance. Just as in Sharon you have no right to smoke in public. Laws such as these will seldom be enforced but may provide a wakeup call to youth who were raised by wolves,or adults who should be neutered.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Free speech was never and will never take the place of courtesy. When children or women are nearby there should not be a right to swear,it's just plain ignorance. Just as in Sharon you have no right to smoke in public. Laws such as these will seldom be enforced but may provide a wakeup call to youth who were raised by wolves,or adults who should be neutered.
Well said. I swear as much as anyone, but not around my kid or anyone else's kids. Having to explain to my 7 year old why he can't say certain words that a kid in his class says can be tough. The other kids dad has no filter whatsover and the kid is using the same language.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Constitutional infringements are unacceptable regardless of whether or not those infringements promote "courtesy" or not. Smoking isn't Constitutionally protected, so that's an apples to oranges comparison.

We don't need the government regulating what's socially acceptable and what is not. On the subject of "courtesy", there was a time when the government agreed it was "courteous" for black people to sit in the back of the bus.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Well said. I swear as much as anyone, but not around my kid or anyone else's kids.
X2 Common courtesey shoud be just that, Common.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
X2 Common courtesey shoud be just that, Common.
Unless you're JohnnyD who believes that the Constitution is the be all, end all and common sense and common courtesy should take a back seat to it. If he ever has children, I'd be curious to know how he'd feel if I started saying things like #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, #^&#^&#^&#^&, #^&#^&#^&#^& and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& in front of them.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-13-2012 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Sorry Dude.....we get the picture

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
We don't need the government regulating what's socially acceptable and what is not. On the subject of "courtesy", there was a time when the government agreed it was "courteous" for black people to sit in the back of the bus.
And how did that get changed... did RIPTA decide it wasn't fair?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
PaulS

Sounds like a good law but should only be used in very few cases.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I don't think he gets it. Sitting on the back of the bus was never about courtesy. It was about the government being so stupid that they considered blacks to be second class citizens.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
Unless you're JohnnyD who believes that the Constitution is the be all, end all and common sense and common courtesy should take a back seat to it. If he ever has children, I'd be curious to know how he'd feel if I started saying things like #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, #^&#^&#^&#^&, #^&#^&#^&#^& and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& in front of them.
Since the Constitution isn't the be all, end all, why stop at restricting free speech? Let's get rid of independent news papers and replace them with strictly state-sponsored media, let's throw out due process and restrictions on illegal search and seizures.

I'm obviously being extreme but the point is all the same. Where exactly is the line? If the government is going to be allowed to ignore the Constitution and restrict speech based on "common sense" and "common courtesy", what else are they going to be allowed to restrict based on "common sense."

Give the government an inch and they end up taking a mile. I'm not willing to give the government any more inches because they have already taken miles that we'll never get back.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-13-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
A civil-rights movement that included protests and speech that many considered offensive - protected by the same document that I feel *is* the "end all, be all".

Quote:
I don't think he gets it. Sitting on the back of the bus was never about courtesy. It was about the government being so stupid that they considered blacks to be second class citizens.
No, I don't think you get it. Protections in the Constitution allowed the protests and rallies that help force the government into eliminating segregation. Yet, you want to allow the same "stupid government" that treated blacks as second-class citizens to ignore protections to free speech based on what some arbitrary definition of common sense.

Last edited by JohnnyD; 06-13-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
fishbones

Quote:
Since the Constitution isn't the be all, end all, why stop at restricting free speech? Let's get rid of independent news papers and replace them with strictly state-sponsored media, let's throw out due process and restrictions on illegal search and seizures.

I'm obviously being extreme but the point is all the same. Where exactly is the line? If the government is going to be allowed to ignore the Constitution and restrict speech based on "common sense" and "common courtesy", what else are they going to be allowed to restrict based on "common sense."
I haven't seen anyone here saying that newspapers should be abolished. The comments are more about offensive speech around kids. A small child can't go into a convenience store and buy a magazine with pictures of hermaphrodites and big $%#&@ chicks getting 3 holes filled. I don't want my kid seeing that stuff and I also don't want him hearing people using offensive language when we're at the store or out in a restaurant. Frankly, I don't care if people swear around me. I don't think young kids should be subjected to it.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-13-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: You're killing me dude.....

Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
fishbones

Quote:
A civil-rights movement that included protests and speech that many considered offensive - protected by the same document that I feel *is* the "end all, be all".

No, I don't think you get it. Protections in the Constitution allowed the protests and rallies that help force the government into eliminating segregation. Yet, you want to allow the same "stupid government" that treated blacks as second-class citizens to ignore protections to free speech based on what some arbitrary definition of common sense.
No, I get it fine. You said it was courtesy that led them to put blacks at the back of the bus. It wasn't. It was narrow mindedness and racism that did it. By calling it courtesy, you're really diminishing the injustices put upon minorities back then. But if it helps you make your point, go with it.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
JohnnyD

Quote:
No, I get it fine. You said it was courtesy that led them to put blacks at the back of the bus. It wasn't. It was narrow mindedness and racism that did it. By calling it courtesy, you're really diminishing the injustices put upon minorities back then. But if it helps you make your point, go with it.
You're putting the cart before the horse. I never said courtesy led to forcing them to the back of the bus. I said it was perceived as courteous. That same stupid government felt that it was "common sense" that blacks should give up their seats for whites.

Quote:
A small child can't go into a convenience store and buy a magazine with pictures of hermaphrodites and big $%#&@ chicks getting 3 holes filled.
How is this even applicable? It has nothing related to free speech or any other protect freedom.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-13-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
fishbones

Quote:
You're putting the cart before the horse. I never said courtesy led to forcing them to the back of the bus. I said it was perceived as courteous. That same stupid government felt that it was "common sense" that blacks should give up their seats for whites.
Umm, yeah you did say that. You never said it was perceived as courteous. Read your prior statements.

As for the magazines, how is it applicable? Have you been reading the thread? Those magazines are offensive to a lot of people (like swearing) but they're protected by free speech, so they're allowed to be sold. In your world, because they're protected by free speech, everyone should be able to buy them, no? By making it so that you have to be 18 years old, the government is infringing on your rights.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
Raven

switch to whisper mode
Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Constitutional infringements are unacceptable regardless of whether or not those infringements promote "courtesy" or not. Smoking isn't Constitutionally protected, so that's an apples to oranges comparison.

Sorry Johnny, but this post proves you fall in the category of raised wrong. You swear in front of my kids and I will slap some sense into you. Which somebody should have done long ago.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Silly law. There are many things I find offensive but we dont need a law to "protect" us.
Your children will be subjected to a number of things. As a parent its my responsibility to address and discuss with them. I went to a father daughter dance a few months back with the girls from 7-10 yrs old. When they played LMFAO - Im sexy and I know it - every girl in the place screamed and sang every word. Is it offensive to hear 8 yr olds singing " I have a party in my pants and I aint afraid to show it" ? I could fight for the song to be banned or I can discuss with my daughter.
For those that think this is a good law - weigh this - The KKK and American NAZI party can hold a march in Middleboro and you can't stop them, but if you say "$hit" when you lose your credit card in a restaurant, you can be fined. Try explaining that to your kids.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Wink

Quote:

Give the government an inch and they end up taking a mile. I'm not willing to give the government any more inches because they have already taken miles that we'll never get back.
JD, your sounding more and more like a conservative every day.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
JohnnyD

Quote:
Sorry Johnny, but this post proves you fall in the category of raised wrong. You swear in front of my kids and I will slap some sense into you. Which somebody should have done long ago.
I'll let my mother know. You're welcome to do so yourself if you'd like.

With the way you talk to people, it's amusing that you criticize my upbringing. It's also amusing that your claim the law enforces courtesy, while demonstrating that you lack any.

Last edited by JohnnyD; 06-13-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #28
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Silly law. There are many things I find offensive but we dont need a law to "protect" us.
Your children will be subjected to a number of things. As a parent its my responsibility to address and discuss with them. I went to a father daughter dance a few months back with the girls from 7-10 yrs old. When they played LMFAO - Im sexy and I know it - every girl in the place screamed and sang every word. Is it offensive to hear 8 yr olds singing " I have a party in my pants and I aint afraid to show it" ? I could fight for the song to be banned or I can discuss with my daughter.
For those that think this is a good law - weigh this - The KKK and American NAZI party can hold a march in Middleboro and you can't stop them, but if you say "$hit" when you lose your credit card in a restaurant, you can be fined. Try explaining that to your kids.
Careful. If you keep making sense like this and being a responsible parent, Sea Dangles is going tell you were raised incorrectly because your opinion doesn't fall within his screwed up definition of thinking. He'll probably call you a bad parent too.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
Sea Dangles

search the cupcake thread.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #30
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
search the cupcake thread.
exactly, another silly rule.
punish everyone to protect fat kids.

- ban swearing - it offends people
- ban the pledge of allegiance, it offends atheists
- ban the rebel flag, it offends african americans
- ban the cross, it offends muslims/jews
- ban tag at recess, it offends out of shape kids
- ban large containers of soda - you're too dumb to make your own decisions

where does it end? I dont want a country like this. I prefer some chaos, some failure, some discourse, some uncomfort in order to live in a place where we are not governed by intrusive petty laws.
Freedom is not easy and not meant to make everyone comfortable.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all