Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Liv2Fish

Young peoples view?

I thought this was interesting (scary actually). Slide the age you were born bar up to the current. What is it that makes our young people want to be in that camp.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...abt=0002&abg=0

I have two younger brothers who both voted democratic because of the social issue stance of the republican party. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the views of religious right either, but most of it doesn't affect me and I couldn't imagine voting for giving more of my to a completely corrupt social support system. I don't get it.

The repubs better loose the "god is in control" stance or we'll never get the house back.

Last edited by Liv2Fish; 10-20-2014 at 09:35 AM..

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Nebe

To hell with both parties.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2Fish View Post
I thought this was interesting (scary actually). Slide the age you were born bar up to the current. What is it that makes our young people want to be in that camp.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...abt=0002&abg=0

I have two younger brothers who both voted democratic because of the social issue stance of the republican party. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the views of religious right either, but most of it doesn't affect me and I couldn't imagine voting for giving more of my to a completely corrupt social support system. I don't get it.

The repubs better loose the "god is in control" stance or we'll never get the house back.
Did you ever consider that the reason they think the way they do is because of how they have been "Programmed" by the monopoly progressivly controlled education system?

My daughter is explaining to me how Christopher Columbus is responsible for slavery and therefore bad...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Fly Rod

Nebe....agreed, abolish both parties....

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 10-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
FishermanTim

Vote "Montgomery Brewster: None of The Above!"

(from Brewster's Millions)

Unfortunately we want to hold these POS politicians accountable for their actions and inactions, but when the overseeing powers are in the same mindset how can anything be done???

Maybe we just need a clean slate approach, get rid of all of them and start over with strict guidelines as to what their roles will be, what their terms will be and that they alone will be accountable for their actions? (No more playing the blame-game when someone gets caught!)

Then I wake up and realize it ain't ever gonna happen in my lifetime and I think about happier times and places and get on with my life.

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Interesting graphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
To hell with both parties.
I am unaffiliated but we need them to counter balance each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
My daughter is explaining to me how Christopher Columbus is responsible for slavery and therefore bad...
I got that from my son the other day too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Nebe....agreed, abolish both parties....
Balance

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Interesting graphs

I am unaffiliated but we need them to counter balance each other

Balance
I disagree. What we have now is basically two parties that pander to two social classes. The GOP panders to the upper class with their giveaways in the form of tax breaks and hopes of smaller government and the Dems pander to the lower class with their handouts.

There needs to be a third party that represents those who are in the middle and does not focus on handouts to buy votes and does not use religion or holy wars to achieve a foothold. That's where the tea party lost me.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
Moses

Quote:
I disagree. What we have now is basically two parties that pander to two social classes. The GOP panders to the upper class with their giveaways in the form of tax breaks and hopes of smaller government and the Dems pander to the lower class with their handouts.

There needs to be a third party that represents those who are in the middle and does not focus on handouts to buy votes and does not use religion or holy wars to achieve a foothold. That's where the tea party lost me.
Eben - So simple yet so right.

Mike Malone
Old 10-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
Nebe

Thanks Moses.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Moses

http://www.nationaljournal.com/polit...ption-20141021

Mike Malone
Old 10-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
Piscator

Quote:
The GOP panders to the upper class with their giveaways in the form of tax breaks and hopes of smaller government and the Dems pander to the lower class with their handouts. Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I'm not upper class (wish I was) but I think this could be re-phrased...just doesn't seem right that a tax break would be considered a "giveaway"...

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
FishermanTim

A tax break is sort of a "give-away" when the funds lost by the tax break are recouped from the rest of us "working" stiffs.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
FishermanTim

Quote:
Did you ever consider that the reason they think the way they do is because of how they have been "Programmed" by the monopoly progressivly controlled education system?

That's why politicians are so keen on procurring the teachers union vote.....so they can control their "indoctrinating process" of the students.

I'm not a parent, and with quirte a few neices and nephews and a brother who is a history buff, so if they happen to spout any on this mis-informative rhetoric, he will set them straight right on the spot.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
That's why politicians are so keen on procurring the teachers union vote.....so they can control their "indoctrinating process" of the students.

I refer to them as the communication arm of the ruling class. This is also why they are compensated (as a total package, pay , retirement, vacation, healthcare) well.

I'm not a parent, and with quite a few neices and nephews and a brother who is a history buff, so if they happen to spout any on this mis-informative rhetoric, he will set them straight right on the spot.
My 2 cents

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
PaulS

You don't think it has something to do with teachers being a class of workers with some of the highest education levels of any industry?
Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #16
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post

I'm not a parent, and with quirte a few neices and nephews and a brother who is a history buff, so if they happen to spout any on this mis-informative rhetoric, he will set them straight right on the spot.
Columbus took American Indians and Carib Indians as slaves... You didn't get that memo ? He returned to Spain with them and their gold and informed his sponsors that the new world was ripe for plundering

http://www.understandingprejudice.or...q/columbus.htm
Old 10-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Columbus took American Indians and Carib Indians as slaves... You didn't get that memo ? He returned to Spain with them and their gold and informed his sponsors that the new world was ripe for plundering

http://www.understandingprejudice.or...q/columbus.htm
I love it when people try to rewrite history from 400 years ago, especially when
written in the Social Psychology Network ,in this case. Where do they get their new truthful information from when no one is alive to interview.
Most of SPN is theory without any one to prove it.
We all have theories but show me the facts.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
Nebe

Those who write the history books are the victors.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #19
Piscator

Columbus might have spread a little scurvy here and there but he wasn't a bad dude. They didn't know any better back then anyway......
Old 10-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:
I disagree. What we have now is basically two parties that pander to two social classes. well...truthfully, we have one party pandering to one social class because as we know, the Republicans pander to the rich.....and we have another party, the Democrats which panders to the rich(have you seen Obama and Hillary fundraisers???) and....I wouldn't say panders to the poor so much as holds them hostage, they do pander to the Unions which claim to represent the middle class too...

There needs to be a third party that represents those who are in the middle and does not focus on handouts to buy votes and does not use religion or holy wars to achieve a foothold. That's where the tea party lost me.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement I read the whole thing and must have missed the holy wars part
we've always had third parties, take your pick from those that claim to "represents those who are in the middle",

Centrist-This section includes any party that is independent, populist, or any other that either rejects right-left politics or doesn't have a party platform.

American Populist Party
Citizens Party
Modern Whig Party
Reform Party of the United States of America
Unity Party of America

you live in RI...have you joined the "Moderate Party" yet ?

a concurrent national third party is unlikely to be widely successful in our system of elections see..Duverger's Law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger%27s_law..

perhaps you want to replace one of the current parties? in which case we'll still have essentially a two-party system and lot's of folks still complaining that we need a third party that represents ..."them"...see Duverger's Law again

....the Tea Party is not a "Third Party"

Last edited by scottw; 10-22-2014 at 05:24 AM..
Old 10-22-2014, 02:25 AM   #21
scottw

Quote:

ironic isn't it? that we are at the same time told to ignore or overlook all of the bad in our current crop of miscreant "leaders" and only focus on whatever good intention they may claim to harbor....

we are told repeatedly that we should judge folks like...ohhh....William Ayers and others in the context of the times in which they lived and not by "current" standards of rational or reasonable behavior which seem to be constantly changing......

funny...

Last edited by scottw; 10-22-2014 at 03:21 AM..
Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #22
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Most of SPN is theory without any one to prove it. We all have theories but show me the facts.
You really think there are no written, historical accounts of Columbus taking Aranak's(sp) back as slaves? It is just some made up liberal idea?

I'm not opposed to having Columbus day, as he 'founded' the new world, warts and all. He was, however, far from the first on this continent white or native American....

ScottW:
Which Moderate Party? Ken Block's party or the new Cool Moose... I like Healy as a concept, but he differs from the original moderate party... there are differences between them. The 3rd party is a noble idea, but ask Ken Block about it's effectiveness and why he joined the GOP....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #23
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

I'm not opposed to having Columbus day, as he 'founded' the new world, warts and all. He was, however, far from the first on this continent white or native American.... who suggested he was the first on this continent??? pretty sure the natives were standing on shore when he pulled up in his yacht....at least according to the historical accounts

ScottW:
Which Moderate Party? Ken Block's party or the new Cool Moose... I like Healy as a concept, but he differs from the original moderate party... there are differences between them. The 3rd party is a noble idea, but ask Ken Block about it's effectiveness and why he joined the GOP....
you'd have to ask Eben, I'm not looking for a third party, I was just offering him some suggestions as he sounds wanting...Cool Moose sounds like fun...so I guess Ken Block would say third party is a noble but dumb idea
Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #24
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Both parties are polarizing the country and the economy. It is all about money and power, which equate to getting the "win." Collateral damage be damned.... Not unlike lawyers in a divorce, but that is another subject. I am not against tax breaks for business, but the monster sweetheart deals to big business need to be reined in and redirected to small businesses, which are the backbone of the country. Small businesses are over taxed, over regulated, and subject to too many licenses, insurance coverage, and other fees. As a small business owner, I object to both parties' policies. Especially the giveaways, which promote so much of the lazy do nothing population we are all working to support. It is the dumbing of America. In the old days, you would get two leaders in a room, like Tip and Reagan, and the deal would get done. There was give and take. Each side had to give something to get something. And in the end, it was for the benefit of the whole. Now, it is all about jamming a whole agenda take it or leave it, win at all costs, or I'm taking my ball and going home.... Bunch of classless millionaires running Congress.
Locally, I had high hopes for Seth Moulton after he ousted Tierney in the primary. But the next morning he is on all the TV stations spouting Democrat this and Democrat that.... He lost me there. That wasn't his primary or even secondary message when he was running... But he is stuck with his party jamming their agenda down his throat. And it is all about money.....Sucks.
Surprised no one has mentioned the Democrat skewed media.....
Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #25
Sea Dangles

I was at Syracuse last weekend and there was a group of indigenous Americans protesting Columbus day. They likened it to celebrating Hitlers birthday.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #26
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I was at Syracuse last weekend and there was a group of indigenous Americans protesting Columbus day. They likened it to celebrating Hitlers birthday.
That's a little extreme. However.... Of we celebrated Hernando Cortez day, that might be a good analogy.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #27
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
You really think there are no written, historical accounts of Columbus taking Aranak's(sp) back as slaves? It is just some made up liberal idea?

I'm sure slavery was part of the day as it had been part of human history for thousands of years before. Interesting to know if your looking for the negative,
but good to know we ended it.
Human nature is a mix of good and bad but I tend to look at the good and corrected bad.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

Quote:
Those who write the history books are the victors.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:

"The GOP panders to the upper class with their giveaways in the form of tax breaks "

I'd say there is a big difference between "giving" someone something, and "taking less from them". "taking less", is notthe same as "giving".

Tax rates on the rich make a great liberal talking point, but it's nothing. Maybe they could pay a few more points, but even if they did, you think that solves anything? We'd still be adding to the deficit each year. The problem isn't too little coming in, it's too much going out, and much of it on stuff that only benefits a small number of people that specific politicians are pandering to.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #30
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Tax rates on the rich make a great liberal talking point, but it's nothing. Maybe they could pay a few more points, but even if they did, you think that solves anything? We'd still be adding to the deficit each year. The problem isn't too little coming in, it's too much going out, and much of it on stuff that only benefits a small number of people that specific politicians are pandering to.
Jim, you have to understand, common sense is way to complicated
for the elite Libs to understand.

" Choose Life "