Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #61
ivanputski
Pete K.

not to completely change the subject, but possession limit discussion brings to mind a scenario I always wondered about...

Years ago when you could keep 2 bass per day, I was getting on the ferry at block. A guy I was talking to says " i just spent 3 nights here.. limited out every night... look!) he opens his cooler and reveals 6 bass.

So my question: isnt he technically in violation of being in possession of 6 bass on the spot, even if he caught them (lets assume) legally over 3 days?

I told the guy I think its against the law... and he should learn to fillet fish. but maybe even having that many fillets is a violation also if he doesnt have racks... gets blurry!
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #62
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
not to completely change the subject, but possession limit discussion brings to mind a scenario I always wondered about...

Years ago when you could keep 2 bass per day, I was getting on the ferry at block. A guy I was talking to says " i just spent 3 nights here.. limited out every night... look!) he opens his cooler and reveals 6 bass.

So my question: isnt he technically in violation of being in possession of 6 bass on the spot, even if he caught them (lets assume) legally over 3 days?

I told the guy I think its against the law... and he should learn to fillet fish. but maybe even having that many fillets is a violation also if he doesnt have racks... gets blurry!
A POSSESION limit is just that. He was in violation. Infact if I remember correctly an SB member got ticketed this year or last for doing something similiar. X fish per day * Y days = fines.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #63
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post

You are absolutely correct, he was breaking the law. But it is also a law that makes little sense in a lot of contexts. if you go to the fish market and buy two striped bass, you are technically in violation.

Last edited by MakoMike; 11-05-2017 at 12:25 PM..

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #64
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyplug1 View Post
This year I asked a bait shop in Massachusetts (not one that I deal with on a regular basis so I know they were not bending the rules to accommodate a good customer). I asked to buy eels in bulk to get a better price and they told me I would have to purchase at least four pounds worth. Four pounds of eels that has to be a lot more than 25 eels. I am sure that regulation is not being observed by many bait shops.
Depending on the size of the eels 4 pounds may well be less than 25 eels. The bait shops don't have to observe the 25 eels possession requirements, they have a different set of rules. IIRC they are allowed to have a few hundred eels in posession.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote