Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Nice trip

Waiting for my plane having a beer looking out to sea.

Took a trip around the Hawaiian islands and spent a couple days at each place. As much as I enjoyed it, it is not for me. Too windy..seas are big in many places and where it is calm, I really would not want to live there. I have been a few times and it is always blowing. I have a fishing buddy who lives out there and he does not keep a boat there because it is always too rough. I did speak to a guy who told me there is a spot where you can fish for yellowfin tuna from the shore..they use live bait and a kite to get way out to a big drop off close to shore. Did not do any fishing this time. (have gone in the past). Kind of scoping out possible retirement locals. Took a cool helicopter tour of Kauai...really beautiful almost speechless at times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	158.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	59118   Click image for larger version

Name:	157.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	59119   Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	59120  

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 04-29-2014 at 09:45 PM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

My Birthplace. Have been there a few times. I would luv to live, retire there. Big Island is my favorite

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
WESTPORTMAFIA

Kauai is the only place I have ever been where I didn't want to come back! I have been to many places including Maui which I didn't care to stay but Kauai is the place for me someday!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWPORTMAFIA View Post
Kauai is the only place I have ever been where I didn't want to come back! I have been to many places including Maui which I didn't care to stay but Kauai is the place for me someday!
X2

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Mr. Sandman

The chicken island! I agree it has spectacular beauty and the bulk of the island is not inhabited. But to fish it you really need a 75' Nordhavn yacht-fish. No one is running around with center consoles out there
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
The chicken island! I agree it has spectacular beauty and the bulk of the island is not inhabited. But to fish it you really need a 75' Nordhavn yacht-fish. No one is running around with center consoles out there
They do it in smaller boats all the time. I fished in a friends boat out of Kapaa on the East side of the island. It was a small 23'-24' trailered boat (in my pics folder on this site). Guy is a Fireman on the island and commercial fishes for the local restaurants on his off days. We were 7 miles offshore in 7,200' of water. There was also a guy named "Reilly" fishing out there in a 17' Whaler!!!

Had a banner day. It was just me and him and I did all the fighting. Huge Oceanic Black Tip, Blue Marlin, Wahoo, Yellow Fin & Skip Jacks. Only thing we missed out on was a Mahi.

Even better that I got to sneak off for a day during my Honeymoon!!

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWPORTMAFIA View Post
I said the same thing about Norway....pulled into Bergen when I was in the Navy and really didn't want to get back on the ship when it left.

Hawaii is on my Bucket list for someday....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Raven

new zealand is on my bucket list
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Spent 10 days on Maui, thought living on an island would be tough to keep busy especially if you don't golf.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I love Hawaii.. would definitely live there
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Does your wife know you posted her photo?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Lol I was going to say are you sure your wife approved that thought provoking picture of her.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
redlite

We did 2 weeks 4 islands. Paradise. Tropical location that wasnt a 3rd world country. Good ole USA.
Oahu (filth and crime of nyc on a tropical ocean, though pearl harbor was moving).
Kuai. Paradise. Helicopter tour was orgasmic). Locals were sooooo friendly. Got off the plane and everything just slowed down.
Big island sucked though my wife enjoyed swimming with the dolphins. Must have been all the peckers on their faces.
Maui was cool.
After we came back we were close, so close to moving to kuai. I put in my transfer papers for the vacant manager position with my mtge company out there. Started process and 2 weeks into they canelled all relocations and company closed 2 mths later. Was a bummer.
We cant wait to go back to kuai.
Surprisingly we didnt think it was all that expensive compared to here.
Sad thought is that 7 yrs ago this morning we landed in honolulu.::::::::::especially with how it is outside here right now
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

My sister-in-law did her NP midwife residency at probably the only health facility on Kauai. She loved it, and has travelled extensively, so is not easily impressed. She loved the island. Her only problem was she did not once in the six months there give care to anyone under sixty, negating all the dreams she had about helping women give birth, there at least. Her husband came to visit for two weeks and found a gas station for sale and wanted to buy it, so he could go surfing for the rest of his life. They both went back to Texas, and now live in northern Califonia, happily.

Last edited by Swimmer; 05-06-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote