Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

It's the cops fault...BS

How do some people come to the conclusion it's the cops fault in many of these instances?
http://news.yahoo.com/video/three-ki...025438804.html
Old 02-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Jim in CT

I don't know about thi sincident, but the whole recent anti-cop thing, is a convenient way to avoid telling people that they are responsible for their own actions.

In very rare cases, cops cross the line and commit murder, and they need to be punished severely. But the media would have you believe that every time the cop is white and the dead person isn't, that means it was a racial assassination, and the facts don't come close to supporting that. you;ll only hear that on one TV station.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
PaulS

I can't see the video but I can imagine what it is.

The part you're missing is that blacks get treated far differently than whites in many, many aspects including their day to day interactions with the police. They get stopped far more on per capita basis (then get let go w/o tickets), their car gets searched for drugs far more than white yet whites get caught with drugs far more. W/O that background (which us whites can't understand bc we don't get stopped like blacks do) we can't understand the BLM movement.

The right is infatuated with blacks - just look at what an Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson thread will do for the post count here. People who never post will be all over the thread.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I can't see the video but I can imagine what it is.

The part you're missing is that blacks get treated far differently than whites in many, many aspects including their day to day interactions with the police. They get stopped far more on per capita basis (then get let go w/o tickets), their car gets searched for drugs far more than white yet whites get caught with drugs far more. W/O that background (which us whites can't understand bc we don't get stopped like blacks do) we can't understand the BLM movement.

The right is infatuated with blacks - just look at what an Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson thread will do for the post count here. People who never post will be all over the thread.
"The right is infatuated with blacks "

The left is not? Are you serious? Conservatives like me, want to leave race out of discussions where it has no bearing. Liberals cannot look at anythging without bringing race into the equation.

I hear you that blacks likely have a different experience in their interaction with cops. And we need to work on that. But the fact is, that community commits a vastly disproportionate share of violent crime, therefore more cops will be patrolling those areas in stressful conditions, which of course leads to confrontations.

No sane person thinks that blacks have a legitimate reason to be afraid of white cops. They might not be treated "fairly" all the time (get pulled over more, etc), but their lives aren't in danger. When a cop tells you to come out with your hands up, you come out with your hands up, and THEN you avail yourself of all the protetcions the criminal justice system gives you.

The BLM movement came about because of a lie. It came out of the Ferguson case, where state and federal authorities (under a black attorney general) concluded that the white cop didn't do anything wrong.

Sorry, it makes for great talking points, but I ain't buying it.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
PaulS

Did that video that was posted have any blacks in it? Bc I'm gonna make a wild guess and say that it does.

You can say you don't want to bring race up into the discussion but look at your posts - who talks about blacks more than you? How many posts do you mention blacks?

Blacks don't commit the majority of crime (just as they aren't the majority of people on welfare). They do commit a higher proportion compared to their share of the population. Having less income has something to do with that. Since they don't committ the majority of the crimes, wouldn't that mean that if your house was robbed there was a greater chance it was by a white?

There has been videos blacks being shot by cops for no reason other then their running away (for minor crimes or traffic stops). The police reports filed by the responding officers states something else totally contradictory from the video. There have been enough of those cases that if I was black, I'd be afraid.

The vast majority of the videos over the last year or so show that (in my opinion) the cops have been justified but I think that there are still enough showing some wrong doing and they should be cause for alarm. Just as their are bad lawyers, Drs. etc., there are bad cops.

Last edited by PaulS; 02-10-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Old 02-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Did that video that was posted have any blacks in it? Bc I'm gonna make a wild guess and say that it does.

You can say you don't want to bring race up into the discussion but look at your posts - who talks about blacks more than you? How many posts do you mention blacks?

Blacks don't commit the majority of crime (just as they aren't the majority of people on welfare). They do commit a higher proportion compared to their share of the population. Having less income has something to do with that. Since they don't committ the majority of the crimes, wouldn't that mean that if your house was robbed there was a greater chance it was by a white?

There has been videos blacks being shot by cops for no reason other then their running away (for minor crimes or traffic stops). The police reports filed by the responding officers states something else totally contradictory from the video. There have been enough of those cases that if I was black, I'd be afraid.

The vast majority of the videos over the last year or so show that (in my opinion) the cops have been justified but I think that there are still enough showing some wrong doing and they should be cause for alarm. Just as their are bad lawyers, Drs. etc., there are bad cops.
"You can say you don't want to bring race up into the discussion but look at your posts - who talks about blacks more than you?"

I concede there is a valid point in there somewhere, but my posts usually are trying to refute the liberal notion that republicans are out to get blacks.

"Blacks don't commit the majority of crime (just as they aren't the majority of people on welfare). They do commit a higher proportion compared to their share of the population."

Violent crime? i don't know. But certainly a disproportionate share. A huge amount of brutal, violent crime, takes place in urban areas. Therefore, more cops will be there, than in the suburbs, and those cops in urban areas will be more tense, with valid reason.

"Having less income has something to do with that."

Agreed 100%. One hundred percent. So when we address the needy, we shoud be referring to socioeconomics, not race. When we give preferential admission to schools, or jobs, all the things that affirmative action targets - it should not be about race, but about socioeconomic status.

"There has been videos blacks being shot by cops for no reason other then their running away "

And those cops usually get punished. But they need to stop running away!!! Because very, very few cooperative blacks are killed by police.

"there are still enough showing some wrong doing and they should be cause for alarm."

How many videos have you seen in the past year, which genuinely indicate that a cop committed murder? Three? Five? Out of millions and millions of police interactions with blacks?

If that's "cause for alarm", then how should blacks react to other young black men, who are a jilllion times more likely to murder a black citizen, than a white cop. I'd like to know, what percentage of black murder victims are killed by white cops, versus by young black men. Then we'll see what's true cause for alarm.

From one study I found...posted by Allen West, who is a black, conservative man.

"For every black man — criminal or innocent — killed by a cop, 40 black men were murdered by other black men. The, at most, 2.5 percent of the problem generates relentless rage. And, yet, it is rude-to-racist to mention 97.5 percent of the problem."

http://www.allenbwest.com/2015/11/cr...lled-by-cops/#!
Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
Jim in CT

And paul, we need to look into police behavior, because one murder is far too many. But we also need to be honest about what the problems actually are. Why not address the population that's 40 times more likely to kill blacks?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Violent crime? i don't know. But certainly a disproportionate share.I agree, as I said a higher proportion A huge amount of brutal, violent crime, takes place in urban areas. Therefore, more cops will be there, than in the suburbs, and those cops in urban areas will be more tense, with valid reason.

we shoud be referring to socioeconomics, not race. When we give preferential admission to schools, or jobs, all the things that affirmative action targets - it should not be about race, but about socioeconomic status. I agree. Giving a black preference so they get into Harvard instead of say Cornell shouldn't be the goal of affirmative action.

And those cops usually get punished if there is a video. Look at the innocence project and how many people have gotten off after in many cases being arrested/convicted bc of police misconduct. On all those cases where there was video, what happened if they took place 10 years ago?. But they need to stop running away!!! Because very, very few cooperative blacks are killed by police. I agree, but the ones who don't cooperate should not be killed. Running away is not cause to be shot in the back or beaten (unless that is the sentence our courts determine under the law.

"there are still enough showing some wrong doing and they should be cause for alarm."

How many videos have you seen in the past year, which genuinely indicate that a cop committed murder? Three? Five? Out of millions and millions of police interactions with blacks?based on the reaction by blacks it seems like there are enough. Plus, I'm guessing from the blacks perspective, other things which are wrong happen day in and day out w/interactions w/the cops.

If that's "cause for alarm", then how should blacks react to other young black men, who are a jilllion times more likely to murder a black citizen, than a white copWhat does the actions of a criminal have to do with the actions of someone who is suppose to carry out the law?. I'd like to know, what percentage of black murder victims are killed by white cops, versus by young black men. Then we'll see what's true cause for alarm.I view that argument as somewhat of a false analogy.

[/url]!
NM
Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
Jim in CT

All valid points, Paul. Good posts.