Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
FishermanTim

Harvard University to hold a "blacks only" graduation.

They graduates that attend this ceremony can still attend the "regular" ceremony with the remaining graduates when they have their ceremony.

Yeah, this just screams "unity and togetherness"...

You can bet your a$$ that they would NEVER , EVER be allowed to have a "whites only" graduation ceremony.

Just another example of what a waste of people and money that "school" really is.

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 05-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I know....its Snopes....but....

http://www.snopes.com/harvard-segregated-graduation/

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Snopes does not negate or debunk what Fisherman Tim said. It merely clarifies that the Black Graduation ceremony is not administered by Harvard, but was organized and run by Harvard Black students. It does appear, per the Snopes article, that Harvard is allowing it, and has not disapproved the ceremony which celebrates efforts and excellence based on race.

And the stated object of the ceremony, although it disclaims any connection to segregation, seems to aim at solidifying Black community and fellowship. Which is strange, since that already is the racial status quo, and liberal education supposedly is a means to transcend that insularity and invite one into the larger world. From the Snopes citation, the promoters of the ceremony say:

"Aside from studying and taking grueling tests, if you’re a minority, the outer pressures of society make the already challenging coursework even more difficult. Knowing this, Black members of the class of 2017 decided to form an individual ceremony. It’s the first of its kind at the school in recent memory and took nearly a year to plan.

The separate graduation is an effort to highlight the aforementioned struggles and resilience it takes to get through those . . . This is an opportunity to celebrate Harvard’s Black excellence and Black brilliance,”

Michael Huggins, a soon-to-become Masters graduate from Harvard’s Kennedy School, told The Root … “This is not about segregation … It’s about fellowship and building a community. This is a chance to reaffirm for each other that we enter the work world with a network of supporters standing with us. We are all partners.”

Would Harvard welcome, without a comment or disclaimer, a student sponsored separate graduation ceremony celebrating the excellence of white students based on their race? A ceremony which aims at solidifying fellowship and partnership and a community of whites? I don't know. Maybe it would. Would there be riots and protests by SJW types crashing the ceremony? I don't know.

It does seem to me, as Fisherman Tim implied, that this does not promote "unity and togetherness." It seems to accentuate differences. That's OK with me. It's just that when whites do it, it ain't considered cool.

Last edited by detbuch; 05-10-2017 at 09:48 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Snopes does not negate or debunk what Fisherman Tim said. It merely clarifies that the Black Graduation ceremony is not administered by Harvard, but was organized and run by Harvard Black students. It does appear, per the Snopes article, that Harvard is allowing it, and has not disapproved the ceremony which celebrates efforts and excellence based on race.
I didn't really post it to debunk it...I posted it to clarify it. that was my intent.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I didn't really post it to debunk it...I posted it to clarify it. that was my intent.
Thank you, I was initially commenting on what I saw on the Fox25 "news" website.

I should've known better...

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:17 AM   #6
Raven

put up a big sign

"no whities allowed "
Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Exactly what Martin Luther King would have wanted...