Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
9 Beer myths BUSTED!

enjoy...

Biggest Beer Myths | Men's Health

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Nebe

The part about bottles being better than draught. And vice versa.. I'm surprised that they did not mentioned bottle conditioned beers vs forced carbonated beers, as IMHO, conditioned beers yield a tastier beer.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Clogston29
xxx

i think the can thing is just based on the way things used to be. as can technology (liners) has improved, they've become the best system. But people hang on to what they now. Same is true with the cork vs. screw top wine discussion.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
i think the can thing is just based on the way things used to be. as can technology (liners) has improved, they've become the best system. But people hang on to what they now. Same is true with the cork vs. screw top wine discussion.
Absolutely. For example canned Sierra Nevada or Harpoon IPA, no difference in taste from bottled.

With regards to the cork vs screw top for wine, I was talking to a wine maker once and asked about it. She said it's a very simple concept: wine with a screw top is made to be drank and doesn't typically take well to further maturing in the bottle. Any wines that improve by being aged in the bottle will be corked.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I'll do Guinness draught in the can with the widget but not the bottles!
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Nebe

Apples and oranges buzz
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Saltheart

1) Depends on the beer. American rice beer is best ice cold. Any beer with real taste and body is better at "cellar" temps. Not warm but not ice cold either.

2)I disagree with the article. Bottled beer is better.

3) Draft beer must be fresh and dispensed through clean lines. I often get heartburn from the typical American rice beer served through less that clean lines. I'll take a bottle please. Fresh beer right at the microbrewery through a clean system is the exception.

4) Color has nothing to do with ale or lager. The difference is the yeast used and therefore the fermentation temp. Lagers are fermented colder by about 10 degrees or more. I love the crisp taste of lagers like pilsners. For darker beers , I think ales are as good or better because there are more ale yeasts to choose from to match the flavor profile you are going for.

5I agree with article. No corellation between beer color and alc content. However , if you brew a high alc beer , I think its easier to balance the taste of you have more unfermented dextrins so for high alc I like darker , full flavored beers.

6)Who knows?

7) If you drink enough and exercise too little you will get a belly. Of course that is the same with virtually all food and beverages

8)Beer should never be allowed to get "warm". Now Room temp is not "warm to me. Best bet is to get beer that has been kept at stable temps at or below about 65 degrees. Ideally , beer lives its whole life after brewing at about 50 degrees. Largers a little lower.

9) We have some great beer in the USA!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Slobapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Absolutely. For example canned Sierra Nevada or Harpoon IPA, no difference in taste from bottled.

With regards to the cork vs screw top for wine, I was talking to a wine maker once and asked about it. She said it's a very simple concept: wine with a screw top is made to be drank and doesn't typically take well to further maturing in the bottle. Any wines that improve by being aged in the bottle will be corked.
Completely agree. The canned Sierra might even be better then the bottle.
Slobapotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Apples and oranges buzz
Ya think?...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #10