Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

ouch

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
spence

Yawn...Biden and McCain have been long time friends so it should surprise no one that he'd speak favorably of him.

The irony here is that Biden, being a straight talker is willing to speak his mind rather than get caught up in petty partisan bickery.

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

obama part is pretty damaging no?
Your own VP (second in command) saying you're not ready?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
spence

They were running against each other...besides there's plenty of room for interpretation. Once might argue that by capturing the nomination there's a lot of political maturity earned in the process.

Yes, this is spin...but reasonable spin

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Nebe

I am sure I could find some lovely footage of GWB explaining how McCain is unfit for command..

The key right now is to look beyond all this crap and look at what each person has to offer.. look past all the hype.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
buckman

I Biden's a straight talker and speaks his mind, then how can we interpret what he said any other way but Obama's not up to the job. Nice spin Spence but I'm not buying it. Joe's a man of his word, right. Running for office now qualifies you for the job? Wow
Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I am sure I could find some lovely footage of GWB explaining how McCain is unfit for command..

The key right now is to look beyond all this crap and look at what each person has to offer.. look past all the hype.
You would have posted it if you could find it.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
Nebe

give me a minute
Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
buckman

I'm waiting. Frustrating ain't it.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

please find it Nebe, I'll then forward it to the McCain campaign and when they publish it, it will ensure McCains victory.

Would anyone, including Repubs care what Bush thinks?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Nebe

Im busy at work, but in few 2 minutes I spent, I found some nice clips of bush slamming mccain on all sorts of things.. Its out there though.. unless my memory is failing. perhaps it is..
Old 09-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
Nebe

http://bartcopnation.com/dc/dcboard....8&topic_id=522

not from bush's lips.. but this is what I was thinking back on.. My implications were more about Bush's side slandering McCain to make him look bad.. but you get the point..
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
buckman

Quote:
That's an understatment.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Nebe

I was wrong. How many times have you heard that from a politician
Old 09-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:

Not from GWB--the last thing he'd ever want to do is mention "command", given their somewhat disparate military experiences.

What you will find is a bunch of stuff from W's people suggesting that he was mentally unstable due to his war experiences, and that he fathered a black love baby.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #16
Nebe

its acts like that that have ruined the GOP.. Going negative trumps real issues with them. Palin's speech had more negative issues about obama than positive issues about Mccain..
Old 09-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
its acts like that that have ruined the GOP.. Going negative trumps real issues with them. Palin's speech had more negative issues about obama than positive issues about Mccain..
It's effective. From Willie Horton, to McCain's love baby, to margainalizing Gore as a liberal whacko, to Swift boating Kerry. The only time it didn't work was with Clinton, because as much as they tried to paint him as a liberal tax and spender, they couldn't make it stick. He ran as a moderate/centrist, and there was nothing in his record that bit him in the ass in that regard. Plus Bush 41 was a tax and spender himself. The other stuff, with the rest of the Dem candidates, stuck because, well, it had the aroma of truth regardless of whether it was factually true.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
The other stuff, with the rest of the Dem candidates, stuck because, well, it had the aroma of truth regardless of whether it was factually true.
Very true and something the Republicans have been very practiced at for some time. The old art of wrapping the lie in a little truth.

Did anyone catch Rudy's speech on Wed?

His ridiculing of Obama's "community planning" experience was incredibly insulting and condecending. Considering it came from the former leader of a large metro area who's accutely aware of inner city problems, quite hypocritical as well.

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
It's effective. From Willie Horton, to McCain's love baby, to margainalizing Gore as a liberal whacko, to Swift boating Kerry. The only time it didn't work was with Clinton, because as much as they tried to paint him as a liberal tax and spender, they couldn't make it stick. He ran as a moderate/centrist, and there was nothing in his record that bit him in the ass in that regard. Plus Bush 41 was a tax and spender himself. The other stuff, with the rest of the Dem candidates, stuck because, well, it had the aroma of truth regardless of whether it was factually true.
thats why they called him 'slick willy'
Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #20
stripersnipr

Yeah no negativity from the Democrats. Just Republicans. Blind hacks.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #21
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
It's different.

I watched a good amount of both campaigns and I didn't hear much personal negativity from the Dems, although they did attack a lot of policy. On the Republican side it was more mockery and ridicule of the people vaguely connected to the policy.

Look at how Republicans and Democrats attack each other in the primary and Congressional races and you'll see a lot of the same.

This would be a very interesting research project for a poly sci major.

-spence
Old 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #23
Nebe

Distract and divide... distract and divide.. If the GOP and McCain did not do that and focused solely on what THEY plan to do, what do you think the outcome would be?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #24
buckman

Are you kidding me. The Clinton's made the personel destruction of their opponents the way they play the game. The Dems just try to tie everyone to Bush. Are you watching the same campaign I am? They both go after each other. It's like watching Burgerking and Mcd's. or Pepsi and Coke.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #25
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Very true and something the Republicans have been very practiced at for some time. The old art of wrapping the lie in a little truth.

Did anyone catch Rudy's speech on Wed?

His ridiculing of Obama's "community planning" experience was incredibly insulting and condecending. Considering it came from the former leader of a large metro area who's accutely aware of inner city problems, quite hypocritical as well.

-spence
Rudy's speach was great and entertaining. Your taking The "community planning" line a little out of context. It is comical that a you would list that as a great achievement when running for President, RTM member maybe, but not President. Obama really has to dig deep to find some experience of value. Was he the class Treasurer when in high school. He should be able to run the federal budget no problem then.