Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Snow clearing prices

So what do you pay? I have reached out to a half dozen other snow clearing contractors to ask what they are doing about this storm and pricing. We had 24 inches. Last week we had 6". It is a lot of apples and oranges since most of these guys are plow operators and I have snowblowers and shovels. Majority of them were going to charge for three passes, or three times the average storm. I am leaning towards twice my average price as it is pretty much in line with an hourly rate that I would go with if they were not already priced per "average" storm.... Think this is fair? Too steep? Leaving too much on the table? Only one of my clients would have been able to physically get their cars out of this on their own, never mind get the snow moved. Average storm I charge from 35 to 50 bucks, add on if salt needed. Look forward to your input.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
iamskippy

Giving the magnitude of storm and the effort it took i think 2x is fair. The one thing that may raise an eyebrow is the low gas prices as most dont understand wear and tear on the equipment and you.

But at the end of the day you know your clients best.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Guppy
User

Double sounds fair to me, I wouldn't expect to pay the same considering
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Fly Rod

I paid 50 bucks for 30 inches the other day and I have paid the same for 6 inches too...does not take that much to plow with a truck....use to do it myself....

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Is $50 about average for a plow? I'm looking at a house with a super long driveway, no way you could snow blow it, so would need to hire a plow. For $50 a pop, doesn't sound like an issue to hire someone
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
PaulS

I think double the price is fair. I would suggest telling your clients ahead of time that you are going to charge double for any storms over X".
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
buckman

Don't get caught up in billing only what you think you would pay and don't beat your equipment plowing snow that's too deep . Plow with the storm and bill per clearing .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
Cool Beans

All depends on how you worded the contract with your customers. If it lists a per clearing price and does not mention snow depth, you may have a few upset folks. Do you charge less than normal if its only 3 or 4 inches?
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
Is $50 about average for a plow? I'm looking at a house with a super long driveway, no way you could snow blow it, so would need to hire a plow. For $50 a pop, doesn't sound like an issue to hire someone
My driveway is around 800 feet long with a parking area and a circular turn around. $80 is average. That being said my guy couldn't finish it as there was too much snow for him to push with his truck so I ended up using my front loader.
I'd like to get rid of the guy but he's my wife's boss at the golf course and he cuts her some slack during the mowing season so I pay.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Raven

i've done billing for snow removal as a job
and their policy was to charge per 10-12 inches
so if you plow a 10 inch amount then come-back a second time
and repeat the process it's a "new" charge or bill
because HEY your spending the time as labor
and so is the equipment and of course expenditure of fuel

my drive way 100 feet this storm was 30 bucks but i'm going to tip
(my neighbor) snow plow guy when i see him next...
as he did a fantastic JOB
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Fly Rod

the snow that we had was powder....anybody that charged for 2-3 per swipe ripped off the client....
besides with that storm where were ya going(no place)my driveway is 40x70 feet and U can find plow guys that will come once after the storm and clear the yard very nicely....)

Noticed in my area some plow guys took the for sale sign down on their new truck....good for a couple payments.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
the snow that we had was powder....anybody that charged for 2-3 per swipe ripped off the client....
besides with that storm where were ya going(no place)my driveway is 40x70 feet and U can find plow guys that will come once after the storm and clear the yard very nicely....)

Noticed in my area some plow guys took the for sale sign down on their new truck....good for a couple payments.

Got to disagree.
A storm that last 30+ hrs who knows how much snow there will be piled up to move at the end of the storm.
Keep in mind, these fools on tv forecasting snow storms are the same fools forecasting wind & sea conditions for boaters.
I got done with my trucks being on with the state for 34 hrs straight, when I finally got home it took me 1 1/2 hrs to plow my own house with a 6 wheel dump with 9ft plow.
Had 4ft + banks high at the 2 different entrances I had from the streets being plowed.
Years ago I had 1 truck doing a big driveway route and 1 or 2 other trucks on with my town.
ONLY good thing about doing driveways is there was some cash involved getting paid.
Couldn't get me to do driveways again with bitching people, you didn't show up soon enough, you damaged my lawn, moving cars for them...
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
Fly Rod

friend of mine said he was going to get a plow....2 things I said....U best get liability insurance and take pictures of the driveways before ya plow for anybody.....it can kick ya in the butt.....my son plows for the city he did 3/ 12 hour shifts the last storm....

Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post

I did not state two or three times per swipe. I said two to three times average storm rate. I went double, which worked out to the same as the hourly rate. It took at least twice as long for the amount of snow we had to blow, not plow..... Don't know your particular neighborhood, but down here it was important to remove or place the snow well, with more snow to come. Had no complaints. Folks are happy to have their vehicles freed, as they were plugged... Not ripping people off here, thank you..... Actually getting referrals I cannot take on...

But the police logs are pretty funny. People are nuts.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I think double the price is fair. I would suggest telling your clients ahead of time that you are going to charge double for any storms over X".

AGREED,

i was speaking about commercial properties and yes an "explanation of rates" letter
was sent out well before the snow season covering the details.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #16
trevier

been plowing since 94, it's blood money. But that storm made me a 1k in less than 24 hrs of work. I'll charge my customers 2 1/2 times for that one and they'll pay. I've had some of my customers for 20 plus years. This next storm if it's over 16 inches they'll get charged 2 times. people that complain about there bills I tell them they can always buy a snow blower, get up at 6am and clean the driveway then get ready for work, or they can pay me and get up and go to work and not worry about cleaning it when they get home.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #17
Fly Rod

I have no problem with my plow guy....

Old 02-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #18
Fly Rod

just got my 2 bills for plowing...first storm 50 bucks....2nd storm 70 bucks ...after 2nd storm came back and pushed the banking back futher to get ready for next storm...very happy with my guy...