Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

God I cant stand her

Alien looking wind-bag...
Like Edwards or not what a self-righteous bitch

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
spence

She's a total hypocrite as well...thinks she can dish this stuff out and then breaks down and cries when she's heckeled.

-spence
Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I am curious what words someone can use and what words can't they use by your standards Rip and Spence?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I dont have a problem with her speaking her mind, but my sense is she does this for attention, and like spence indicated she can give be she cant take criticism, there have been numerous accounts and quotes of her freaking out when it is directed at her.

I do think using a slur is not appropriate for a public figure. I doubt she was calling him a cigarette or bundle of sticks.

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
basswipe

She's very good with dancing around actually calling him one without actually calling him one.She's a toad.Just as bad as Swillary.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I am curious what words someone can use and what words can't they use by your standards Rip and Spence?
She's free to say what she wants...the real problem is the company she keeps. You think this is going to cost her another spot on Hannity and Colmes?

It was a pretty lame swipe as well. Even I thought she had a little more in her...

-spence
Old 03-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Backbeach Jake

The real problem is that the bar is so freakin' low in this Country that things like this are spewed and then "reported" to death. No real issues just sensationalism. Britney shaves her head, Coulter calls Edwards a faggot, and on and on and on. Meanwhile the real problems in the good ol' USA are getting buried under this crap. This Country is going broke, no, being robbed, and we're looking at Paula and Simon. Reality Television? People in this Country can't handle reality!!!!!!!

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 03-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Raven

it's sooooo juicy tho.....
Old 03-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
stripersnipr

I thought it was funny as Hell.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
MrHunters
What was that!?!

john edwards =
Old 03-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
reebok

John should remove political threads from this site and the self-important delusional pontificators should go elsewhere. Yeah you.

I lived in the ex-Soviet Union for 2 years in the late 90's and knew this: The most political country of the 20th century was not the Soviet Union but the United States, as in this ideology OR ELSE.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebok View Post
John should remove political threads from this site and the self-important delusional pontificators should go elsewhere. Yeah you.

I lived in the ex-Soviet Union for 2 years in the late 90's and knew this: The most political country of the 20th century was not the Soviet Union but the United States, as in this ideology OR ELSE.
Guess you missed the small print under Political Threads that reads:

This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it
Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
Mr. Sandman

IMO this was way over reported AND in fact I think the press played right into her hands (again), and she must be loving all the air time. Big deal she (indirectly) called someone a name that wasn't PC. She may be accurate, who knows?...., who cares? If they would have just let it be it wouldn't be such a big deal but the press said "we'll get her now"...and gave her more air time then the President. If you are offended by this kind of thing then just wait until this election heats up...its gonna get nasty.
I can't wait to hear some of the stuff about hillary. Honestly, it has become a form of entertainment for me now. I dispise most politions, I gave up on them years ago and don't really care what happens to them. Watching them dig dirt on others, personally attack, make bad jokes, go out of control and generally self distruct and then try and spin everything to recover is actually fun to see now. This is why you can't get any decent people to run for office, it is hell....let them all burn.

coulter loves the attn and the press keeps giving it to her. The liberal press thinks they can squelch her and others by forcing other conservatives to comment on this kind of thing. They have to say "oh that was beyond line"...what line?, this is politics, there is no line, it is gonna get worse, much worse. I like her. I don't agree with everything she spews but most stuff I do. She can hold her own with the most whacko libs. We need more like her to stand up to the vocal no-nothing hollywood libs who voice their absurd positions.

How many other TV personalities make fun of and call really foul names of political leaders? Off the top of my head I can think of things said by:

Bill Mahar
Jon Stewart
Al Franken
Colin Quinn
Lewis Black
Rosie
and many others that have said FAR WORSE STUFF, really nasty and the press doesn't pick on them? And many of them are not joking either, they really hate these guys and really mean what they say. Ann Coulter makes a joke about going into re-hab if she uses the word faggot and the press has a field day...gimmeabreakalready.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
Joe

It's pretty played though - you have to admit....

Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Sandman, thats half my point. She is doing it for attention and book sales. As far as the people on your list. Some are entertaining, but I dont need them to tell me my opinion.

I just have a serious Ann Coulter dis-like. If it was Bill O-Riley or Rush it may have been funny, but they arent dumb enough to do that.

Bryan

Old 03-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #16
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Sorry--anyone who doesn't know that the word in question is taboo in a public discussion, in 2007, is living in a box.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #17
reebok

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Guess you missed the small print under Political Threads that reads:

This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it
Yeah I did. How did I get in here?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Is it politically incorrect to call her a whacked out shemale?

Quote:

I spent 40 hours in East Germany and 3 years in West Germany in the mid-80s, I won't squash any talk like that unless its just plain stupid or over the line.

Quote:
Yeah I did. How did I get in here?
- You were sucked in to the Spence Zone

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Actually Boss-man
I started this one!

I'll retreat back to the Nerderarium with the other Nerds now

Bryan

Old 03-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #20
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Actually Boss-man
I started this one!

I'll retreat back to the Nerderarium with the other Nerds now
No retreat... Otherwise I would not benefit from your wise thought

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #21
reebok

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I won't squash any talk like that unless its just plain stupid or over the line.
Do you mean in your capacity as an admin? Which part, the part about the most political country?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 AM   #22
JohnR

Quote:
Do you mean in your capacity as an admin? Which part, the part about the most political country?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you so I'll be more clear. I don't squash or censor talk unless it is really offensive, going to really flame someone, really rude, or just really really really bad (some of Mr Macey's "Big" Girls come to mind ).

Not about the country - I'm more than accustomed to people over there calling things over here bad...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #23
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
IMO this was way over reported AND in fact I think the press played right into her hands (again), and she must be loving all the air time. Big deal she (indirectly) called someone a name that wasn't PC. She may be accurate, who knows?...., who cares? If they would have just let it be it wouldn't be such a big deal but the press said "we'll get her now"...and gave her more air time then the President. If you are offended by this kind of thing then just wait until this election heats up...its gonna get nasty.
I can't wait to hear some of the stuff about hillary. Honestly, it has become a form of entertainment for me now. I dispise most politions, I gave up on them years ago and don't really care what happens to them. Watching them dig dirt on others, personally attack, make bad jokes, go out of control and generally self distruct and then try and spin everything to recover is actually fun to see now. This is why you can't get any decent people to run for office, it is hell....let them all burn.

coulter loves the attn and the press keeps giving it to her. The liberal press thinks they can squelch her and others by forcing other conservatives to comment on this kind of thing. They have to say "oh that was beyond line"...what line?, this is politics, there is no line, it is gonna get worse, much worse. I like her. I don't agree with everything she spews but most stuff I do. She can hold her own with the most whacko libs. We need more like her to stand up to the vocal no-nothing hollywood libs who voice their absurd positions.

How many other TV personalities make fun of and call really foul names of political leaders? Off the top of my head I can think of things said by:

Bill Mahar
Jon Stewart
Al Franken
Colin Quinn
Lewis Black
Rosie
and many others that have said FAR WORSE STUFF, really nasty and the press doesn't pick on them? And many of them are not joking either, they really hate these guys and really mean what they say. Ann Coulter makes a joke about going into re-hab if she uses the word faggot and the press has a field day...gimmeabreakalready.
Couldn't agree more Sandman. Well said.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #24
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I want to clarify that I wasn't commenting on the state of the media, the liberal press, etc..
I was emailed this, clicked the link and saw it.
I just don't like Ann Coulter, she could be a card carrying Dem and I would still think she is a jack-ass; or maybe a she-male as John suggested

Bryan

Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #25
reebok

John I thought it might mean you would censor the country thing. I'm glad that's not what you meant.

So okay, this is the political forum. Nevermind! (I thought it was a good one though).

(I got here like adware. The main forum said Scuppers and the last post was this and it brought me in here without warning. It would be great if you would turn on some sort of parental control on my account to keep me out of here.)
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #26
Raven

intellectual

is what they callem....

pay no heed...

and thank you truly JohnR

for the thought anyways...
(some of Mr Macey's "Big" Girls come to mind ).
Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #27
stripersnipr

It's funny that Coulters comments spark more outrage than this.

There He Goes Again

Posted Mar 5th 2007 1:17AM by Dinesh D'Souza
Filed under: Scandal, TV

Bill Maher is in hot water again. The last time, which was right after 9/11, I had something to do with it. Maher was then the host of "Politically Incorrect," which aired on ABC. On his first show after 9/11, Maher's guests were Arianna Huffington and me. There was also an empty chair for Barbara Olson, who was on her way to do Maher's show when she was killed in the 9/11 attacks.

Early in the discussion Maher asked me whether I considered the terrorists to be "cowards," as President Bush had suggested. I said no. The terrorists were willing to go to their deaths for their cause. I saw them as soldiers in a new kind of war. Maher enthusiastically agreed, and then went further. The real cowards, he said, were the folks in the U.S. military who sat in their comfortable offices in Washington D.C. while they fired bombs at people thousands of miles away.

This really set off the talk radio circuit and the veterans groups, and the ensuing uproar resulted in Maher's contract not being renewed by ABC. Maher then got a new show "Real Time" on HBO.

On Friday, Maher lit another fuse by suggesting that it was a pity that the Taliban's recent assassination attempt on Vice President #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney failed. "I'm just saying if he did die, other people, more people, would live. That's a fact." While I defended Maher the first time around, mainly on free speech grounds, I'm not going to this time. Then he was imprudent. Emotions were running high after 9/11, and Maher was being his outrageous self, forgetting that the American tribe had come together in the wake of 9/11 and was not in the mood to hear a smart-alecky jibe at the U.S. military.

But Maher's latest statement is way over the line, much worse than his earlier gaffe. Yes, critics of Cheney are welcome to believe that his policies are costing lives, but it's something else to suggest that killing him would save lives. It is a very short stop from believing this and saying it to actually advocating the assassination of the vice president.

Maher seems to believe that free speech means the right to say anything and not be held accountable for it. He should apologize, failing which the big boys at HBO might want to call him in for a little chat.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #28
Skip N

I guess its ok to hope the VP gets knocked off, but god forbid if you jokingly call someone a faggot!

Neither comment was neccesary, but Mahers is far worse. I dont think thats even debatable! Guys an idiot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #29
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Like Howie Carr said to someone that was yelling at him in Brockton at a function I was at, "its entertainment, thats all, enertaiment, relax will ya".

MikeP, I don't live in a box and have no reason to use the word faggot, but if I did I would. I find it disheartening again that another group of people are attaching themselves to the tail end of all the hard work african-americans have done to dispel or put aside feelings of racism that accompany the use of the N word by inventing another schism in our culture by hijacking a word that the group says creates animosity and/or discrimination against them. If gays want to be respected they can stop marching in jockstraps during thier annual parade in boston touching themselves and others in places that should only be touched while in private, or at least the back seat of a car.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
It's funny that Coulters comments spark more outrage than this.

There He Goes Again

Posted Mar 5th 2007 1:17AM by Dinesh D'Souza
Filed under: Scandal, TV

Bill Maher is in hot water again. The last time, which was right after 9/11, I had something to do with it. Maher was then the host of "Politically Incorrect," which aired on ABC. On his first show after 9/11, Maher's guests were Arianna Huffington and me. There was also an empty chair for Barbara Olson, who was on her way to do Maher's show when she was killed in the 9/11 attacks.

Early in the discussion Maher asked me whether I considered the terrorists to be "cowards," as President Bush had suggested. I said no. The terrorists were willing to go to their deaths for their cause. I saw them as soldiers in a new kind of war. Maher enthusiastically agreed, and then went further. The real cowards, he said, were the folks in the U.S. military who sat in their comfortable offices in Washington D.C. while they fired bombs at people thousands of miles away.

This really set off the talk radio circuit and the veterans groups, and the ensuing uproar resulted in Maher's contract not being renewed by ABC. Maher then got a new show "Real Time" on HBO.

On Friday, Maher lit another fuse by suggesting that it was a pity that the Taliban's recent assassination attempt on Vice President #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney failed. "I'm just saying if he did die, other people, more people, would live. That's a fact." While I defended Maher the first time around, mainly on free speech grounds, I'm not going to this time. Then he was imprudent. Emotions were running high after 9/11, and Maher was being his outrageous self, forgetting that the American tribe had come together in the wake of 9/11 and was not in the mood to hear a smart-alecky jibe at the U.S. military.

But Maher's latest statement is way over the line, much worse than his earlier gaffe. Yes, critics of Cheney are welcome to believe that his policies are costing lives, but it's something else to suggest that killing him would save lives. It is a very short stop from believing this and saying it to actually advocating the assassination of the vice president.

Maher seems to believe that free speech means the right to say anything and not be held accountable for it. He should apologize, failing which the big boys at HBO might want to call him in for a little chat.
I think you should check your obviously biased sources. This recent Maher story was set off by an online quote that Maher never said...and then the above is completely taken out of context.

Go billmaher.com and read the transcript of the show for yourself.

-spence