Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

He’s been on the phone with Rudy and Sean again or watching Faux
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
7m
Michael Cohen plead guilty to two counts of campaign finance violations that are not a crime. President Obama had a big campaign finance violation and it was easily settled!
Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
10m
A large number of counts, ten, could not even be decided in the Paul Manafort case. Witch Hunt!
Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
23m
I feel very badly for Paul Manafort and his wonderful family. “Justice” took a 12 year old tax case, among other things, applied tremendous pressure on him and, unlike Michael Cohen, he refused to “break” - make up stories in order to get a “deal.” Such respect for a brave man!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #32
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Looks like the witch hunt has eight more convictions and with that and Cohens remarkable comments which implicates Trump in the illegal campaign contributions, I think the risk of severe tweeter storms is imminent. Shelter in place people it’s going to get rough.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

He’s been on the phone with Rudy and Sean again or watching Faux

]
you REALLY need some new material
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you REALLY need some new material
I expect I'll have a new source before too long, hopefully not a Tweeter

Poor Donnie, he thought he was surrounded by drooling sycophants, but he's finding out they are actually salivating politicians

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #35
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Well if as he suggests and I'm no lawyer, that paying off two women to keep them quiet about a couple extra marital affairs isn't a crime and that were his only campaign blunder, well I'd say that's worth a legal discussion and debate. If it came out that they are two of many payments made over the years to many women, because Donald just isn't getting enough at home, well that's not much different than pulling a Bill Clinton. That's if that is all we were talking about, but as you know, that's just a small piece of a big pie.

I find it hard to believe a lawyer would plead guilty if it isn't a crime and risk 5 years in prison and time away from a young family. But if Cohen is playing "Russian" roulette with his life and putting that in the hands of a judge, maybe that's just another example of Trump hiring stupid people who can't be trusted and can't avoid getting caught.

I would suggest however that when you start adding everything he did to sway this election in his favor, it goes beyond the usual dirty politics. Begging Russia to hack the US on public TV is not only un-American, it too looks like a campaign violation, as he is looking to a foreign power and long time adversary of the US to aid in swaying the election. I won't get into the meeting at Trump tower, or the connections to Russia from multiple members of the campaign, there has been plenty of coverage. Then you have no tax returns and many questions about where the money is coming from and collectively, it IMHO appears to be a big time problem for DJT.

Patterns, intent, complicit behavior, cumulative evidence, it isn't about one man pleading guilty to a "non-crime" as is suggested. You may see a fin on the surface, the tip of an iceberg, neither tells you what lies beneath the surface.

I can't wait for it to be over, but it is like watching survivor; who is getting voted out at the next tribal.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #36
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Well if as he suggests and I'm no lawyer, that paying off two women to keep them quiet about a couple extra marital affairs isn't a crime and that were his only campaign blunder, well I'd say that's worth a legal discussion and debate.

No, it's not a crime. I don't like being deceitful to a spouse, or to anyone else, but especially to your wife and family. But that also is not a crime. In my little world I think it is a character flaw, but I don't live in the world of the Kennedys, Clintons, Trumps, high paid Hollywood and media types, billionaires who are openly and often offered sex for money, or for future consideration, or for the thrill of being intimate with the high and mighty. That world seems to have a different opinion on what is moral or of good character. If they deign, at all, to stoop to things as humble as morality.

If it came out that they are two of many payments made over the years to many women, because Donald just isn't getting enough at home, well that's not much different than pulling a Bill Clinton. That's if that is all we were talking about, but as you know, that's just a small piece of a big pie.

It seems that Bill was a bit more forceful, shall we say, in some of his dalliances than the Don. But none of it was deemed important enough to start an FBI and special counsel investigation into Bill's sex life involving confiscation of the files of Bill's lawyer.

And, legally speaking, Trumps hush money is not a piece of the pie at all.

I find it hard to believe a lawyer would plead guilty if it isn't a crime and risk 5 years in prison and time away from a young family. But if Cohen is playing "Russian" roulette with his life and putting that in the hands of a judge, maybe that's just another example of Trump hiring stupid people who can't be trusted and can't avoid getting caught.

Mueller probably has a lot more on Cohen that would stand up in Court. Who knows what kind of arrangement Cohen and Mueller agreed to in sentencing if he would say what he did. Trump has hired some outstanding people. He has hired some duds.

I would suggest however that when you start adding everything he did to sway this election in his favor, it goes beyond the usual dirty politics.

Well, campaigns are, after all, about swaying elections in one's favor. What is it, actually, that Trump has done beyond usual dirty politics? Not what accusations, or suggestions, or rumors, or innuendo's, or interpretations of, has Trump done or said that should recommend impeachment, removal from office, or imprisonment?

Begging Russia to hack the US on public TV is not only un-American, it too looks like a campaign violation, as he is looking to a foreign power and long time adversary of the US to aid in swaying the election.

It never occurred to me that Trump seriously meant that Russia should hack. It was obviously an attempt at some kind of sarcasm which was opportunistically characterized by his opponents as actual treason in order to make him look bad. You know, like usual dirty politics. If Trump wanted to collude with Putin, he would have done so by other means, not by doing it openly before an audience of millions of American people, and certainly not in front of his opponents.

I won't get into the meeting at Trump tower,

I'm still waiting for a definitive explanation of what confirmed collusion or conspiracy took place at that meeting.

or the connections to Russia from multiple members of the campaign, there has been plenty of coverage.

What is meant by "connections to Russia"? What "connections" have been proven to be conspiratorial?

Then you have no tax returns and many questions about where the money is coming from and collectively, it IMHO appears to be a big time problem for DJT.

Many questions that imply vague accusations. There seem to be a lot of that, implied evidence but not actually evidence of wrongdoing, of conspiracy or collusion.

Patterns, intent, complicit behavior, cumulative evidence, it isn't about one man pleading guilty to a "non-crime" as is suggested. You may see a fin on the surface, the tip of an iceberg, neither tells you what lies beneath the surface.

Patterns that could imply a lot of different things, good, bad, or indifferent. Only Trump knows his own intent. Association is not complicity, but it can be insinuated to be so. Not so much cumulative hard evidence, but cumulative suggestions, accusations, presumptions, or vaguely circumstantial evidence. There seems to be a concerted effort to build an iceberg by floating a bunch of tips. So many on the "right" are accused of conspiracy mongering. But, so far, the supposed Trumpian iceberg looks like a conspiracy theory.

I can't wait for it to be over, but it is like watching survivor; who is getting voted out at the next tribal.
Me too. I want it to be over. Trump is accused of not doing his job. That he spends too much time tweeting. Yet he has accomplished a lot. Much of which "Conservatives" and constitutionalists think is very important.

But what is actually unproductive, even un-American, bordering on treason, is the weakening, possibly destroying, the power and prestige of a President who is trying to impose the will of America and the Western world on dictators in North Korea and Iran to either denuclearize or to stop building nuclear capability. And who is trying to create freer trade relations with other countries. And who is trying to persuade nations like Russia and China to have productive relations with us rather than adversarial ones. Why listen to or bargain with someone who is being destroyed by his own country?

If Mueller knows for a fact that Trump has actually committed treason, then there is no need for the slow bleed of investigating and convicting others around him in order to try to FIND OUT if Trump has committed a crime. If there is no evidence, I mean EVIDENCE, that Trump has, there is no honest reason to look for a crime that is not known to exist.

If it does, and he is guilty, get it done NOW. Otherwise it looks like a political hit job, or worse. And it is damaging an opportunity to create a better, more productive foreign policy than we have had for several years.

Last edited by detbuch; 08-22-2018 at 07:43 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #37
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I expect I'll have a new source before too long, hopefully not a Tweeter

Poor Donnie, he thought he was surrounded by drooling sycophants, but he's finding out they are actually salivating politicians
Said the salivating #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-23-2018, 05:25 AM   #38
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

If Mueller knows for a fact that Trump has actually committed treason, then there is no need for the slow bleed of investigating and convicting others around him in order to try to FIND OUT if Trump has committed a crime. If there is no evidence, I mean EVIDENCE, that Trump has, there is no honest reason to look for a crime that is not known to exist.

If it does, and he is guilty, get it done NOW. Otherwise it looks like a political hit job, or worse. And it is damaging an opportunity to create a better, more productive foreign policy than we have had for several years.
exactly....

and recall...

we learned in 2017 about the sexual harassment settlements paid by Congress using a slush fund from taxpayer dollars, the leaders in the House of Representatives of both political parties are implicated by the $17 million in payments over a period of 20 years and at least 268 settlements.