Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
Jim in CT

wages up 3.2% year over year

that’s not a bad number, folks. biggest jump since 2009, not bad considering all the tax break wentnto stock buybacks and dividends and to help the Koch brothers purchase orphanages and evict the orphans. great economic news with the job gains. i know, i know, hitler also helped the german economy...
Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Go try to live on minimum wage, 3.2% of near nothing is still next to nothing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Jim in CT

i didn’t say that wal-mart greeters could
now buy houses on nantucket. But it’s the biggest increase in 10 years.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:04 AM   #4
Ian
Idiot

So what you’re saying is that Obama actually caused a larger increase in the job market? Good to know, not often you give him that kind of credit!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
So what you’re saying is that Obama actually caused a larger increase in the job market? Good to know, not often you give him that kind of credit!
iobama helped his economy’s stock market and unemployment ( i don’t think a potus always ‘causes’ such things, but they can influence them), by a greater degree than Trump did, sure. i give obama credit for that all the time, so try to be accurate if possible please.

obama
obviously helped unemployment and the stock market. trump is continuing to do so, and unlike obama, trump also cut taxes for the vast majority of us, increasing our net take home pay by far more than Obama ever did. that’s also true.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
wdmso

Not my wage .. does this count states who have raised the min wage and it's not going up for federal
Workers

June 2018 Median Household Income. According to Sentier Research, the median household income in the United States rose from $61,858 in May 2018 to $62,175 in June 2018, an increase of 0.5% over the previous month.Aug 1, 2.018

317 dollars does not look that glamorous once you see the real number rater then a % but still better than going backwards
Old 01-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Not my wage .. does this count states who have raised the min wage and it's not going up for federal
Workers

June 2018 Median Household Income. According to Sentier Research, the median household income in the United States rose from $61,858 in May 2018 to $62,175 in June 2018, an increase of 0.5% over the previous month.Aug 1, 2.018

317 dollars does not look that glamorous once you see the real number rater then a % but still better than going backwards
“not my wage.”

do you know what an average is?

i posted year over year results, which was an increase of 3.2%, the biggest bump
since 2009. if that’s such a pathetic increase, i wonder why the previous administration didn’t routinely do better.

biggest increase in 10 years, but it can’t be good news, because you don’t like trump.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
Nebe

What is the inflation rate? If you account for inflation and subtract that from the average wage increase you will find that you might be quite humbled Jim.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
PaulS

I can't recall anyone ever posting positive monthly statistics like this for Obama. LOL
Old 01-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
“not my wage.”

do you know what an average is?

i posted year over year results, which was an increase of 3.2%, the biggest bump
since 2009. if that’s such a pathetic increase, i wonder why the previous administration didn’t routinely do better.

biggest increase in 10 years, but it can’t be good news, because you don’t like trump.
again its a big picture thing ... only one pom pom waving for Trump is you seen alone it looks fantastic....

but add in inflation as mentioned the cost of borrowing , the price of housing , health insurance .. and how long it hasn't gone up significantly.. its trending in a positive direction .. its not game over Trumps fixed America thats all i am saying
Old 01-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I can't recall anyone ever posting positive monthly statistics like this for Obama. LOL
they were fake back then
Old 01-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
What is the inflation rate? If you account for inflation and subtract that from the average wage increase you will find that you might be quite humbled Jim.
probably not as high as 3.2%.

nebe, i’m not saying this ends poverty. i’m saying it was the highest annual growth in ten years. i’m truly sorry if it bothers you that it happened under trumps watch. but if you can’t celebrate good economic news unless you happen to like the current potus, that’s your problem. this is good news.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
first, the wage growth i posted was annual, not
monthly. second, for the millionth time, i give obama credit for helping get us out the mess he inherited.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #14
Sea Dangles

Quote:
first, the wage growth i posted was annual, not
monthly. second, for the millionth time, i give obama credit for helping get us out the mess he inherited.
Take a break Jim. These folks are incapable of seeing clearly so long as Trump steers the ship. Switch the names and take away party affiliations and then credit will be due. Only then. Very troubling to see but that is what it has become.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Take a break Jim. These folks are incapable of seeing clearly so long as Trump steers the ship. Switch the names and take away party affiliations and then credit will be due. Only then. Very troubling to see but that is what it has become.
You're right, it's probably a waste. They are totally, and I mean totally, blinded by hatred of Trump, it's all they see. You are spot on. It's not how you solve problems, we need to be able to admit what worked and what didn't, to evaluate all of the empirical evidence, not just that which supports our ideology.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
Sea Dangles

Unfortunately they take their cue from patriots such as LizWarren and Hillary.🤡
Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #17
PaulS

Mr. Irrelevant
Old 01-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
As usual, Nebe is right. Adjusted for inflation wage growth the last 40 years has been pretty flat. At the same time wealth inequality has continued to deepen and the new tax laws are just going to make things worse for the bottom half.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #19
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
As usual, Nebe is right. Adjusted for inflation wage growth the last 40 years has been pretty flat. At the same time wealth inequality has continued to deepen and the new tax laws are just going to make things worse for the bottom half.
The rich keep on getting richer and the poor keep in getting poorer. However, the GOP is doing an excellent job with the distraction game by making the poor think that the greatest threat to them is those less fortunate than themselves or people who hold different beliefs.
What you won’t hear is the GOP saying that the rich continue to pull the rug out from under the people in this country that are just getting by. The stupid wall could be abandoned and that money could be used to feed the homeless or fund public education.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
The rich keep on getting richer and the poor keep in getting poorer. However, the GOP is doing an excellent job with the distraction game by making the poor think that the greatest threat to them is those less fortunate than themselves or people who hold different beliefs.
What you won’t hear is the GOP saying that the rich continue to pull the rug out from under the people in this country that are just getting by. The stupid wall could be abandoned and that money could be used to feed the homeless or fund public education.

"The rich keep on getting richer"

How would you stop that? Would you pass a law saying that people can't add to their net worth after some point?

The wealthy have more disposable income to invest. So when the economy grows, they benefit more. That's just the math. How would you stop that?

"he GOP is doing an excellent job with the distraction game by making the poor think that the greatest threat to them is those less fortunate than themselves or people who hold different beliefs. "

Who in God's name is saying that?
Old 01-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #21
Nebe

Quote:
"The rich keep on getting richer"

How would you stop that? Would you pass a law saying that people can't add to their net worth after some point?

The wealthy have more disposable income to invest. So when the economy grows, they benefit more. That's just the math. How would you stop that?

"he GOP is doing an excellent job with the distraction game by making the poor think that the greatest threat to them is those less fortunate than themselves or people who hold different beliefs. "

Who in God's name is saying that?
Think hard Jim. You can do it. Bad hombres.

I’d heavily tax incomes over 1 million $ per year and impose a CEO pay rate cap. This would force reinvestment and higher payrolls.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

I’d heavily tax incomes over 1 million $ per year and impose a CEO pay rate cap. This would force reinvestment and higher payrolls.
OMG tax the rich more, not under Trumps watch.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:

Fine. But unless you tax them at 100% or more, they will still get richer. You don't understand arithmetic. I have an IRA, Bill Gates hs a zillion dollars in the market. If the market goes up 10%, he and I each gain 10%, but his is way larger than mine. Tax him more, he still increased the gap between him and me.

4th grade arithmetic Nebe.

I'm in favor of making capital gains and dividends taxes more progressive than they are. It won't stop the rich from getting richer. You cant stop that, and no earthly reason why you'd want to.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #24
Nebe

Quote:
Fine. But unless you tax them at 100% or more, they will still get richer. You don't understand arithmetic. I have an IRA, Bill Gates hs a zillion dollars in the market. If the market goes up 10%, he and I each gain 10%, but his is way larger than mine. Tax him more, he still increased the gap between him and me.

I'm in favor of making capital gains and dividends taxes more progressive than they are. It won't stop the rich from getting richer. You cant stop that, and no earthly reason why you'd want to.
Read my post again.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Read my post again.

I read it.

If you can show me where in the constitution you'd have the authority to limit what a CEO can make, I'd be very interested. If the company wants to pay him and the customers are willing to pay the prices necessary, it's none of your business and it's not hurting anybody. CEO pay isn't creating poverty, not in most cases. Sure it's obscene.

I did the math. If the CEO of Walmart worked for free, and donated every cent to the US workers (forget international employees), each worker would get about $30 a year. Whoop-dee-do.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #26
spence

Quote:

So if taxing the rich more will not prevent them from accumulating more wealth what’s the problem with generating more tax revenue to invest in things like infrastructure and education that benefit all Americans and make our country stronger?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #27
Nebe

Quote:
So if taxing the rich more will not prevent them from accumulating more wealth what’s the problem with generating more tax revenue to invest in things like infrastructure and education that benefit all Americans and make our country stronger?
Imagine universal healthcare for all. What’s so wrong about that?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #28
PaulS

Studies have shown that the highest marginal tax rate should be between 70 and 80% as this would still provide the rich with incentives to earn more and bring in more Revenue
Old 01-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
the problem is something you may have heard if, supply and demand and cost. when the cost of something goes up, the demand goes down. so at some point when you increasebtax rates, they suppress the economy to the point that tax revenue collected ( which is what matters), goes down. that’s rare i guess, but it’s happening in CT. we had a huge income tax hike, and tax revenue collected went down. that doesn’t help anybody, does it?

and i think it’s immoral to raise taxes if there’s still massive waste. cut all the fat first.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Imagine universal healthcare for all. What’s so wrong about that?
i have said
many times that we need expanded healthcare. i don’t have a clue how to pay for it. or to operate it. no clue.