Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #91
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And are you sugesting that I'm part of the lunatic fringe? If so perhaps it's your eyes that are glazed.

-spence
No Spence, I think you are highly aware of the slant and bias put forth daily under the guise of "News".

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 09-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #92
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I guess thats a wacky interpretation of what she said. I would think the task (now) is to assist the Iraquis in securing their nation so that there can be peace and stability.
Ok, that's just spin...

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #93
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Ok, that's just spin...

-spence
Huh? The task of our military = kill people?

thats what they're doing right now?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #94
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I thought this is what we want our troops to do? Isnt this the 'task"

BAGHDAD - The U.S. military handed over security control of the Iraqi province of Anbar to local forces on Monday, although a top U.S. commander said the drawdown of Marines in the former insurgent flashpoint would be gradual.

The province was once a locus of the Sunni Arab insurgency, and the scene of some of the bloodiest battles of the Iraq war.

The handover marks a major milestone in America’s strategy of turning security over to the Iraqis so U.S. troops can eventually go home.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #95
spence

Spin, spin, spin, spin...

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #96
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you're a pretty lousy McCain supporter.

Why dont you just come out of the closet now, expose your pink panties and join Obama?

Change you can believe in!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #97
spence

Quote:
you're a pretty lousy McCain supporter.

Why dont you just come out of the closet now, expose your pink panties and join Obama?

Change you can believe in!
Because I don't particularly like Barak Obama. Biden I like, but Barak not so much.

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #98
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Didn't Charles Manson say god told him to kill?
Charlie also said, "'The fact of the matter is, I'm Jesus Christ, whether you chose to believe that or not is up to you."
I would have found that more profound had he not tattooed a swastika on his own forehead. But, alas, madmen, they're so impetuous.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #99
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Charlie also said, "'The fact of the matter is, I'm Jesus Christ, whether you chose to believe that or not is up to you."
I would have found that more profound had he not tattooed a swastika on his own forehead. But, alas, madmen, they're so impetuous.
rumor has it it was Buchanan that did the tattoo

Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #100
Joe

Yeah, he got G. Gordon Liddy to hold him down. You've read "Will," I assume, Liddy admired the Nazis a great deal. Those Nixon staffers - what a fun bunch!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #101
fishbones

Quote:
Another, albeit lesser known quote attributed to Manson is "real men use conventional reels - spinning reels are for sissies".
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #102
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Spence, I appreciate your argument, but maybe saying that Biden has "one of the lowest income levels among his peers" would have been a better choice of words. "poorest" is different than "poor", but it's a derivation af the same word and using it to decribe Biden is a little over the top.
I think most people would get the context. To say the usage is improper is bordering on pedantic isn't it?

And regarding his family. I'm not saying he's a super hero, but that the man has some fiber.

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #103
Joe

I think using "pedantic," is somewhat pedantic. I gotta go, my tee shirt machine is pre-heated now.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #104
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I think using "pedantic," is somewhat pedantic. I gotta go, my tee shirt machine is pre-heated now.
Vote Hard, Die Young!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #105
Joe

Hey, there ya go.
I was thinking about doing "01.20.17 Obama's Last Day"

Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #106
fishbones

Quote:
I think most people would get the context. To say the usage is improper is bordering on pedantic isn't it?

And regarding his family. I'm not saying he's a super hero, but that the man has some fiber.

-spence
Pedantic, shmedantic. $200K + is a lot of money no matter how you slice it. He's rich. He may not be Ted Kennedy rich, but he will not be standing in line at the soup kitchen when he retires. And he's a lot better off than the guy unloading freight from trucks or the woman who cleans houses for a living.

I agree about taking care of his family. Unfortunately, some people wouldn't have done what he did. That just speaks to where we've gone as a society.

I know you like him and are playing devil's advocate, but you have to at least agree that he is a lot more privleged than most people. And although he has a tough job, he works a lot less than most of us who work for a living.

I will admit that he's a sharp dresser. And his hair is beyond reproach. Could that be the real reason you like him? Maybe there is an unspoken bond there?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #107
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Hey, there ya go.
I was thinking about doing "01.20.17 Obama's Last Day"
You'd need to change that to 09.03.08, his last day was Palin's speech

Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #108
spence

Quote:
Pedantic, shmedantic. $200K + is a lot of money no matter how you slice it. He's rich. He may not be Ted Kennedy rich, but he will not be standing in line at the soup kitchen when he retires. And he's a lot better off than the guy unloading freight from trucks or the woman who cleans houses for a living.

I agree about taking care of his family. Unfortunately, some people wouldn't have done what he did. That just speaks to where we've gone as a society.

I know you like him and are playing devil's advocate, but you have to at least agree that he is a lot more privleged than most people. And although he has a tough job, he works a lot less than most of us who work for a living.

I will admit that he's a sharp dresser. And his hair is beyond reproach. Could that be the real reason you like him? Maybe there is an unspoken bond there?
I've heard he has hair plugs, don't know if it's true though...

And I wouldn't say that Senators simply because they're not in session aren't working pretty hard most of the time.

From what I know of his life, Biden has made it pretty much on his own. This may astound you, but according a review the Washington Post did last year Joe Biden's net worth stands at about 100-150,000

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...400305_pf.html

Quite a few people on this site with a higher net-worth than that. I guess he's not been engaging in much profiteering over his status and has outlayed a ton of cash for his kids educations.

200K might be a nice paycheck, but this hardly is deserving of the labels "rich" or "privilaged".

When you put him in context of the McCains, Clintons or even Obama there's a HUGE gap.

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #109
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

ouch, thats sad just on a personal note.
So how is that the guy that will get our economy back on track?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #110
fishbones

I read that his net worth was somewhere between $150K - $360K. That figure could be wrong, though. If he's making almost 200K a year and his net worth is that low, I'm a little concerned for him.

I'm not bashing the guy at all (except for earlier with the plagerism thing). I'm just trying to point out that to most Americans, he's not going to be a sympathetic figure because he's not a multi millionaire.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #111
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I read that his net worth was somewhere between $150K - $360K. That figure could be wrong, though. If he's making almost 200K a year and his net worth is that low, I'm a little concerned for him.

I'm not bashing the guy at all (except for earlier with the plagerism thing). I'm just trying to point out that to most Americans, he's not going to be a sympathetic figure because he's not a multi millionaire.
do senators have a pension? 401k? I would think after 30yrs he racked something up?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #112
spence

Quote:
do senators have a pension? 401k? I would think after 30yrs he racked something up?
It's possible they only factored in more liquid assets? I didn't read the entire piece to see if they included the process they used to calculate.

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #113
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
You'd need to change that to 09.03.08, his last day was Palin's speech

Jim I know your not one to parrot, but you have no I dea that you could not sound anymore like John "I'm a Tool who inflates his own ratings' Dipetro on WPRO...
he has been (figuratively) ball washing Palin for 3 days.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"