Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #331
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
[B]

Ashley Babbit was unarmed,

. She was at the very front of the force about to breach the chamber...

would you say this "force" was more like Delta Force or Space Force?
Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #332
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I too am amazed at the restraint of the officers that day. She was a crazy woman.
I guess in future at "mostly peaceful protests" and riots it will be ok if the police bust out the live rounds and take down any un-armed protesters that get out of hand and start damaging stuff.....
Old 01-05-2022, 10:37 AM   #333
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

and whose life was in immediate danger if she breached the chamber?

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
you know that if she was protesting/rioting for a leftist cause these guys would be losing their minds over her senseless murder and condemning the police
Old 01-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #334
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I guess in future at "mostly peaceful protests" and riots it will be ok if the police bust out the live rounds and take down any un-armed protesters that get out of hand and start damaging stuff.....
You are better than this, aren't you?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #335
scottw

Quote:
You are better than this, aren't you?
I saw some...actually... a lot ....of very violent attacks on police and military members the summer prior and they didn't fire any bullets

this was an unarmed woman, and maybe she was mentally unstable, but I thought that was a reason not to shoot someone, particularly if they are unarmed

I'm not defending her, I believe what happened to her was the result of bad decisions she made that day just as many police shootings are the result of bad decisions made by those that get themselves shot...it's just amazing to see the response of some to her killing....
Old 01-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #336
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

This is worth watching. Frontline Season 2021 episode 7 American insurrection.

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-insurrection-ozor8y/

While I clearly saw the bias from the get-go, I feel it connects the dots enough to assign blame for the abject results of Jan 6. The justification of violence by these militias and far right factions are painting some of you in this discussion with the same broad stoke.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #337
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
would you say this "force" was more like Delta Force or Space Force?
You're a dope....and a gaslighter. The force that overran the Capitol Police, whose job it is to protect and defend the Capitol and members of Congress.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #338
scottw

[QUOTE=nightfighter;1220079

....and a gaslighter.

[/QUOTE]

this is already WAY overused....
Old 01-05-2022, 11:30 AM   #339
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
But Jan 6th was a Mostly Peaceful Protest.
What????? Seriously?

Old 01-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #340
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
this is already WAY overused....
Agreed. As are the arguments and justifications for actions we are discussing in these recent pages.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #341
scottw

Quote:
[B]

.. I would have been firing before the force reached the top of the stairs.

how many do you think you could take out?
Old 01-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #342
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I saw some...actually... a lot ....of very violent attacks on police and military members the summer prior and they didn't fire any bullets

this was an unarmed woman, and maybe she was mentally unstable, but I thought that was a reason not to shoot someone, particularly if they are unarmed

I'm not defending her, I believe what happened to her was the result of bad decisions she made that day just as many police shootings are the result of bad decisions made by those that get themselves shot...it's just amazing to see the response of some to her killing....
I just find it interesting how you are backing away, or quantifying
a statement made by Jim, that I took issue with...
She put herself in the line of fire. How many thousands of miles did she travel from her home? Her right to peaceful protest ended when she, as a member of the group, proceeded past police barriers, up the step, and breached the Capitol. She put herself there. What is so amazing about my response??? She asked for it.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #343
scottw

Quote:

I just find it interesting how you are backing away,

She asked for it.
from what?

"I'm not defending her, I believe what happened to her was the result of bad decisions she made that day just as many police shootings are the result of bad decisions made by those that get themselves shot...it's just amazing to see the response of some to her killing...."

I wouldn't say she asked for it, she certainly put herself in harms way...she was the only one shot that day...no question as to why only one officer fired a bullet that day despite all of the violence apparently going on particularly as you've said you'd have just opened fire?

you also dragged out the story about a car incident as if that's relevant? Ted Kennedy had a little car incident and still ran for president afterward
Old 01-05-2022, 11:59 AM   #344
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The officer did not have the benefit of her past history when he had to make his decision to pull the trigger.

I did have Ted's past history when I chose not to vote for him.

Connecting those two is a stretch... Only common denominator I can see is that we have the benefit of 20/20 vision when looking at their personal histories... and that both are dead.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:23 PM   #345
Jim in CT

Quote:
The officer did not have the benefit of her past history when he had to make his decision to pull the trigger.

I did have Ted's past history when I chose not to vote for him.

Connecting those two is a stretch... Only common denominator I can see is that we have the benefit of 20/20 vision when looking at their personal histories... and that both are dead.
What imminent lethal threat did she pose at the moment she was shot, that could possibly justify deadly force?

Those morons deserved to be punished, the same way all rioters/trespassers are punished. No more, no less.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:24 PM   #346
Jim in CT

Quote:
What????? Seriously?
The January 6 rioters killed exactly zero people.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #347
scottw

Quote:

this is correct...you brought it up for some reason
Old 01-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #348
scottw

Quote:

What imminent lethal threat did she pose at the moment she was shot, that could possibly justify deadly force?
weren't we told repeatedly afterward(I know I got a letter from the superintendent from my kids school telling be that if this had been blm marching through the capitol the police would have opened fire because they are police and therefore racist)....assuming they would be the same police protecting the capitol we are either supposed to laude them as heroes for restraint and surviving what they endured and not criticize any or one of them for firing a bullet and killing someone who "deserved it"....... or label them would-be racist killers who would have surely opened fire if they saw different skin color on the rioters...
Old 01-05-2022, 01:12 PM   #349
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Ross saw it was NOT mostly peaceful, which is why he reacted to John’s post. I had the same gut reaction, but I wasn’t sure if John actually believed that to be true or the post was sarcastic. Sorry anyone thinking that was mostly peaceful is blind, never saw a single video released or want to white wash it away like many on the right are attempting to do. Carry on with, as others have so accurately described this forum, the endless circle jerk.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #350
PaulS

Quote:
Police ended up dying and committing suicide shortly thereafter.

Lot's of people get charged w/murder when they participate in crimes even if they didn't pull the trigger.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #351
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Ross saw it was NOT mostly peaceful, which is why he reacted to John’s post. I had the same gut reaction, but I wasn’t sure if John actually believed that to be true or the post was sarcastic. Sorry anyone thinking that was mostly peaceful is blind, never saw a single video released or want to white wash it away like many on the right are attempting to do. Carry on with, as others have so accurately described this forum, the endless circle jerk.
John said the "protest," not the riot, was mostly peaceful. There were 30 thousand "protesters" there on Jan6. It was, by far, by numbers, a mostly peaceful protest.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #352
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
weren't we told repeatedly afterward(I know I got a letter from the superintendent from my kids school telling be that if this had been blm marching through the capitol the police would have opened fire because they are police and therefore racist)....assuming they would be the same police protecting the capitol we are either supposed to laude them as heroes for restraint and surviving what they endured and not criticize any or one of them for firing a bullet and killing someone who "deserved it"....... or label them would-be racist killers who would have surely opened fire if they saw different skin color on the rioters...
DON'T play the reverse race card on this.... That is low. The whole issue is low enough given its political nature of cause and effect.

DO play the S-B Powerball pool...

Old 01-05-2022, 02:02 PM   #353
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
John probably applied the same litmus test they used to describe the "Summer of Love" protests as "Mostly Peaceful"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-05-2022, 02:02 PM   #354
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
John said the "protest," not the riot, was mostly peaceful. There were 30 thousand "protesters" there on Jan6. It was, by far, by numbers, a mostly peaceful protest.
Yup like I said, that is the whitewashing going on.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:15 PM   #355
detbuch

Quote:
Yup like I said, that is the whitewashing going on.
Would it be truthful to label the vast, vast, majority of the thirty thousand protesters as violent insurrectionists, seditionists, threats to democracy, malicious attackers of police and destroyers of federal property, etc.?

If it was proper to refer to the destructive riots that occurred throughout the past two years as mostly peaceful (presumably because most of the protesters didn't participate in the rioting), then there is no so-called whitewashing to say that Jan6 was mostly peaceful.

And, anyway, John may have also been throwing some sarc back at how those protests were referred to as "mostly peaceful."
Old 01-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #356
scottw

Quote:

DON'T play the reverse race card on this.... That is low.

DO play the S-B Powerball pool...
that's what was said, almost immediately...I didn't say it....
Old 01-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #357
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

Would it be truthful to label the vast, vast, majority of the thirty thousand protesters as violent insurrectionists, seditionists, threats to democracy, malicious attackers of police and destroyers of federal property, etc.?
not many of "the forces" have been charged with trying to overthrow the country either....you'd think that would be a layup....
Old 01-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #358
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
John probably applied the same litmus test they used to describe the "Summer of Love" protests as "Mostly Peaceful"
do you think Maga Force has anything planned for the anniversary? I heard biden is going to try to read the teleprompter again...this should be fun....
Old 01-05-2022, 02:26 PM   #359
Jim in CT

Quote:
but the summer 2020 riots which resulted in many deaths and way more property damage, those were mostly peaceful. you have no problem with that description.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:28 PM   #360
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Police ended up dying and committing suicide shortly thereafter.

Lot's of people get charged w/murder when they participate in crimes even if they didn't pull the trigger.
one died of natural causes. natural causes.

i am aware that more than some committed suicide after. i’m not aware of their psychological
records, i presume you aren’t either so we don’t know why. but if they committed suicide because of trespassers, then we need stricter requirements for who qualifies for federal law enforcement.