Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-21-2022, 12:20 PM   #61
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
No, do you believe that no social progress is good.
At what point in time should it be halted or do you propose that we be time warped back to?
Are you like some here, wishing for the 50s and Eisenhower…..who identified as a progressive conservative(oops)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The manner of achieving social progress makes all the difference. And the definition of "progress," like the definition of all socially loaded words can be the propaganda that supports the method.

That's my fortune cookie wisdom. Take it or leave it.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #62
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
sure! conservatives HATE equality ( despite opposing slavery and jim crow), conservatives really despise women’s health. we really hate it when women are healthy.

just say “abortion”. if there’s nothing immoral about abortion, why do you feel the need to hide it in a euphemism like “women’s health”?

school equality? sorry, liberals adamantly oppose school choice.
No Jim,
Radical Republicans ended slavery, not conservatives.
And the end of the Jim Crow era with the aid of the Northern Democrats pushed Southern Conservatives to the Republican Party.

I don’t have any need to hide my views on abortion, I don’t think we’re required to believe in your religion.

Sorry but I think public education is important, not perfect but needed.
Left to their own conservatives would have no federal support for education.
And then if every state was as poorly educated as Republican controlled states, we’d have more Trumps and DeSantis’

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #63
detbuch

Quote:
No Jim,
Radical Republicans ended slavery, not conservatives.
And the end of the Jim Crow era with the aid of the Northern Democrats pushed Southern Conservatives to the Republican Party.

However it came about, many Southern Democrats, or at least their children, joined Southern Republicans to form majorities, and, in conjuction with those Republican majorities, the South gradually became less racist.

I don’t have any need to hide my views on abortion, I don’t think we’re required to believe in your religion.

So then, Jim wanted to know why the word abortion is so persistently replaced by euphemisms such as "women's health"?

Sorry but I think public education is important, not perfect but needed.
Left to their own conservatives would have no federal support for education.
And then if every state was as poorly educated as Republican controlled states, we’d have more Trumps and DeSantis’
Federal support for education, especially when it's used as a lever to dictate what and how is to be taught, is an unconstitutional power grab by Progressive authoritarians who are transforming us into an unlimited form of centralized government.

The public school teachers in the Republican controlled states graduated from the same Progressive education departments that dictate the programs of the vast majority of American colleges and universities. So the Republican controlled states are being educated just as well or poorly as the other states. Culture pretty much decides the amount and quality of what is learned. The quality of the learning of most black students in Democrat controlled states would be considered poorly educated. As well so for culturally backward whites. And the federal government has not provided an authoritarian solution to that problem. On the contrary, it seems to exacerbate the problem by not demanding, in its beneficent authoritarian way, that culturally backward families get their $hit together. Rather, it deems giving those folks more security and goodies will somehow transform their ways.

Of course, that gives the political power grabbers some statistical fodder to demand more power.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:43 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:

What a cowardly dodge, and you're smart enough to know it.

We don't differ in "women's health". We differ on abortion. You chose to hide behind a very benign-sounding euphemism, which is what your side does constantly.

Why? Why hide behind the label "choice" or "health"? Obviously, conservatives are in favor of choice and health. I'm not asking you to join my religion, I'm asking why you felt the need to be deceptive about your position.

It's all nonsense.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #65
wdmso

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1221059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

"the only indoctrinated person I see is you"

Yeah? i've said here, there are big issues on which I agree 100% with democrats. If you're a free-thinker and not a puppet, please tell us which big issues, you agree 100% with conservatives on.

Every single post you've ever made here, every single one, praises liberals and attacks conservatives. But you're not indoctrinated.

"Ya ok you said you were a teacher there goes that theory"

Except it was decades ago, I taught middle school not college, and I was a registered democrat then. Yeah, you really got me there Wayne.

"So who indoctrinated the millions of Americans who do go no go to college ? K-12 teacher s? Or all the school boards in America?"

Not all school boards. But most. Rarely do you hear of right-wing teachers indoctrinating students, it's almost always liberal teachers forcing their beliefs on students. Almost every single time.

The fact that you don't concede it, doesn't mean it's not true. We could fill the oceans with truths that you deny.

On college campuses, why is it always the right-wing speakers who got mobbed off the stage by liberal protesters? Never the other way around?
Not all school boards. But most

More nonsense and conspiracy
And you are shocked when you get push back against your madness
Old 01-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #66
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
What a cowardly dodge, and you're smart enough to know it.

We don't differ in "women's health". We differ on abortion. You chose to hide behind a very benign-sounding euphemism, which is what your side does constantly.

Why? Why hide behind the label "choice" or "health"? Obviously, conservatives are in favor of choice and health. I'm not asking you to join my religion, I'm asking why you felt the need to be deceptive about your position.

It's all nonsense.
Jim you’re lost in semantics again, if this was the period between 1591 and 1868 abortion before ensoulment would not be a sin in the eyes of your church.

In no logical world can Roe be overturned without obliterating the separation clause. To outlaw choice with arbitrary definitions of human life based on ancient mythology is to adopt a state religion. This is the real goal of the anti-choice movement. They accepted it long ago.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-21-2022, 02:42 PM   #67
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=wdmso;1221096]
Quote:

Not all school boards. But most

More nonsense and conspiracy
And you are shocked when you get push back against your madness
i like it when people push back, but it’s preferable when they do it with some truth and common sense.

why can’t you ever respond when i ask you which big issues you agree 100% with conservatives on? that’s the easiest way to see who is an open minded thinker, and who’s a thoughtless zombie

i think liberals are correct in gay marriage. i think the liberal idea that health insurance cover pre existing conditions, was brilliant and kind and decent. i think liberals are right to oppose the death penalty.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #68
scottw

this is worth the time...

https://youtu.be/2Kg0q82mFzI
Old 01-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #69
Pete F.
Canceled

Ah yes all truth comes from YouTube
There’s some good stuff on there
This guy
https://youtu.be/0ctJ6Lkjdi4
And this guy
https://youtu.be/zJKXeOgXa4Q
Or this guy
https://youtu.be/c2Oxw7B6E3c
Old 01-22-2022, 02:55 AM   #70
scottw

Quote:
Ah yes all truth comes from YouTube
There’s some good stuff on there
This guy
https://youtu.be/0ctJ6Lkjdi4
And this guy
https://youtu.be/zJKXeOgXa4Q
Or this guy
https://youtu.be/c2Oxw7B6E3c
I hesitate to click a link that you post.....but my link is an Opposing Views podcast that was done on CRT with some emphasis on how it has been inserted into our education system...the content is pretty interesting from both sides...can you handle an opposing view without losing your mind pete?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:28 AM   #71
Pete F.
Canceled

Sorry, but even you with a little help could post on YouTube

“I saw it on the computer” doesn’t come close to making it true
Old 01-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I can you handle an opposing view without losing your mind pete?
none of them can, not a one.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #73
Jim in CT

Quote:

“I saw it on the computer” doesn’t come close to making it true
that’s pretty rich, coming from the guy known for posting long essays he found on then internet.

I mean, did you intend that to be funny?
Old 01-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #74
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
that’s pretty rich, coming from the guy known for posting long essays he found on then internet.

I mean, did you intend that to be funny?
You think this is serious, that’s funny, sorta like these people

Tucker Carlson is upset that an M&M got new shoes

Ted Cruz was upset Big Bird encouraged kids to get vaxxed

Matt Schlapp was upset there’s now an Asian American Sesame St muppet

They were upset about Mr Potato Head & Dr Seuss

But a terrorist attack on our Capitol? No big deal

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:

pete, you were known as repeat, because of your tendency to cut and paste massive essays from the internet. you can’t deny you have a habit of doing that

then you say “just because you saw it on the internet, doesn’t make it true”.

you see no irony there? really?
Old 01-22-2022, 09:09 AM   #76
wdmso

I love the C&P argument .. as if the information presented is somehow irrelevante
because the person who Posted it didn't write it .. not sure why youtube videos here are not looked at in the same negative Light ?

here's a C&P you'll support ..

Florida’s Senate Education committee approved a new bill supported by Florida governor Ron DeSantis (R) on Tuesday that would ban the state’s schools and private businesses from making people feel “discomfort” or “guilt” in regard to their race, sex, or national origin.

But he Says it's to protect everybody ! LOL only his followers are that gullible
Old 01-22-2022, 09:53 AM   #77
Jim in CT

Quote:
I love the C&P argument .. as if the information presented is somehow irrelevante
because the person who Posted it didn't write it .. not sure why youtube videos here are not looked at in the same negative Light ?

Florida’s Senate Education committee approved a new bill supported by Florida governor Ron DeSantis (R) on Tuesday that would ban the state’s schools and private businesses from making people feel “discomfort” or “guilt” in regard to their race, sex, or national origin.

But he Says it's to protect everybody ! LOL only his followers are that gullible
if a democrat governor suggested the same exact thing, you’d love it.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #78
scottw

Quote:

is that Italian?..."I deem your ridiculous argument irrelevante' !"
Old 01-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #79
Pete F.
Canceled

Hey, has DeathSantis caught up to NYS yet?
Old 01-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #80
detbuch

Quote:

This response from a Democrat Senator is precious:

“This bill’s not for Blacks, this bill was not for any other race. This was directed to make whites not feel bad about what happened years ago,” said Sen. Shevrin Jones (D-FL), adding, “At no point did anyone say white people should be held responsible for what happened, but what I would ask my white counterparts is, are you an enabler of what happened or are you going to say we must talk about history?”

He doesn't say white people should be held responsible for what happened in the past, but he would ask whites if they are enablers of (i.e. responsible for) what happened in the past.

I understand how you can enable the actions that are presently occurring, but enabling the actions of a past before you existed seems that it would require one of wdmso's time machines.

And is he saying that we don't talk about history? Is he saying that our schools don't teach what happened, don't teach about our history of slavery and how awful it was? I don't recall a time in my life that we haven't talked about slavery and the plight of blacks. I certainly learned about it in the schools I attended. I remember it being repeatedly referred to and explained in our various medias. It has been a continuous topic and cause of legislation as far as I can remember. We've had a plethora books, articles, movies, newscasts, debates, laws, regarding the stain in our history.

I guess we have arrived at a time when we must not only know about it, we must feel it. We are in the time of needing, foremost, to feel. And so we have to feel bad about what happened years ago.

Sure, we're not responsible for what happened before we were born, but if we do not feel bad about it, no matter how much we did legally to correct our past adherence to a universal centuries old evil (which we inherited--love the "inherited" excuse we like to use--as a result of being a part of the human race), no matter all that, we must be made to feel bad about it. Otherwise, even though we are not responsible for that past, if we don't feel bad about it, we have enabled it.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-22-2022 at 10:55 AM..
Old 01-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #81
PaulS

Quote:

Selective outrage for the snowflakes.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #82
wdmso

Quote:
if a democrat governor suggested the same exact thing, you’d love it.
Jim cant love what wouldn't happen

So of use choose reason over fear

seem you choose fear lies and white guilt to justify these law changes Conservatives used the same methods to change Voter Laws they themselves approved before the last election

Calling it voter integrity.. when in fact it's agreeing that the Big lie happened .. and Just like CRT they insist it being Taught but can't prove it .. more conspiracy theories

Mississippi Senate passed a bill that would ban schools from teaching critical race theory.

The state superintendent of education has said critical race theory is not being taught in Mississippi schools and legislators have offered no evidence to show it is.

Jim you really dont live in Reality do you ?
Old 01-22-2022, 01:16 PM   #83
detbuch

Quote:
J
Mississippi Senate passed a bill that would ban schools from teaching critical race theory.

The state superintendent of education has said critical race theory is not being taught in Mississippi schools and legislators have offered no evidence to show it is.
From the way you put it, the superintendent is doing what the bill requires. The bill should help the superintendent to keep up the good work. Is that bad?
Old 01-22-2022, 03:39 PM   #84
PaulS

Jim, you lied.

From the article you linked.

The murder rate was estimated to be 6.9 murders per 100,000 people in 2021. The 1996 murder rate was 7.4.

So how is 6.9 higher than 7.4?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:13 PM   #85
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Jim, you lied.

The murder rate was estimated to be 6.9 murders per 100,000 people in 2021. The 1996 murder rate was 7.4.

Was 1996 not 25 years ago?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:18 PM   #86
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, you lied.

highest in 25 years. highest “since” 1996.

2021 - 1996 = 25.

i am sorry if i had a typo or something paul. the murder rate is the highest it’s been, since 1996. that was the last time it was higher than it is now.

In the early 1990s, crime was awful. So the country got serious about fighting crime. It worked. Crime dropped significantly.

here’s the difference between the two sides. After decades of tough anti crime laws and decreasing crime, a conservative would say “crime is low, which shows that what we did, worked.”

A liberal says “crime is low, therefore we don’t need all those laws, all those cops, all those prisons.”

They just don’t know how to interpret empirical results. which his exactly why liberals in Ct, every two years, say that “tax and spend is sure to work this time!”.

Liberals right now, have a softer spot for criminals than for victims. they will get judged for that. They may not like the outcome. it’s not a great time in history to decide that cops are the enemy, and that criminals are the victims. They made that bed, they can lie in it.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:11 PM   #87
PaulS

You're right I read it wrong and I apologize. Everything I have ever read says criminologist really don't know why the crime rate dropped from those historic highs in the 90s. Nor do they know why there has been a big increase in the last 2 years. The 2020 increase was gigantic and if I remember correct the 2021 is estimated to be another increase but its not as high percentage wise as in 2020. I thought I read that criminologist think the pandemic helped cause a decrease in minor crimes but an increase in Major Crimes. Again. I should not have said you lied and I apologize.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:22 PM   #88
Jim in CT

Quote:
You're right I read it wrong and I apologize. Everything I have ever read says criminologist really don't know why the crime rate dropped from those historic highs in the 90s. Nor do they know why there has been a big increase in the last 2 years. The 2020 increase was gigantic and if I remember correct the 2021 is estimated to be another increase but its not as high percentage wise as in 2020. I thought I read that criminologist think the pandemic helped cause a decrease in minor crimes but an increase in Major Crimes. Again. I should not have said you lied and I apologize.
no sweat.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #89
Jim in CT

Quote:
that’s not exactly the Stephen Hawking of criminologists who has no idea why crime dropped after we got tough on crime. when you put criminals in prison and keep them
there for awhile, how can crime not go down?

NYC was an absolute jungle. Guilliani got very tough in crime, crime went down. Deblasio undid that tough stance on crime, and crime increased.

those things could be a coincidence. common sense says there’s a connection, doesn’t it? ask parents, teachers, etc….sometimes guy have to get tough to stop unwanted behavior.

covid also likely plays a role as isolation doesn’t help
anyone’s mental health.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:13 PM   #90
PaulS

Crime went down across the country not just in New York