Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Tiananmen Square

31 years ago today the Chinese Government attacked and killed their citizens protesting the totalitarian regime.

There was outrage worldwide, with virtually the only praise in the West coming from … Donald Trump.

“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it,” Trump told Playboy Magazine. “Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength.”

Weak men never change

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
31 years ago today the Chinese Government attacked and killed their citizens protesting the totalitarian regime.

There was outrage worldwide, with virtually the only praise in the West coming from … Donald Trump.

“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it,” Trump told Playboy Magazine. “Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength.”

Weak men never change
He was speaking of the necessity for government projecting strength, not weakness, when necessary.

“That doesn’t mean I was endorsing that,” Trump said. “I said that was a strong, powerful government. They kept down the riot, it was a horrible thing.”

At that time he said "Our country is right now perceived as weak."

He also has said “I think Putin’s been a very strong leader for Russia, he’s been a lot stronger than our leader, that I can tell you,” Trump said. “That doesn’t mean I’m endorsing Putin.”

Keep spinning old news. Shows what you're about.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
spence

Using federal prison riot police in unmarked uniforms...what could go wrong?
Old 06-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
He was speaking of the necessity for government projecting strength, not weakness, when necessary.

“That doesn’t mean I was endorsing that,” Trump said. “I said that was a strong, powerful government. They kept down the riot, it was a horrible thing.”

The Chinese Government killed and arrested its citizens to stop a peaceful protest.

At that time he said "Our country is right now perceived as weak."

He also has said “I think Putin’s been a very strong leader for Russia, he’s been a lot stronger than our leader, that I can tell you,” Trump said. “That doesn’t mean I’m endorsing Putin.”

“First of all, I don’t know Putin, have no business whatsoever with Russia, have nothing to do with Russia,” he said. All a lie

Keep spinning old news. Shows what you're about.
Keep believing in and spreading propaganda for a man who thinks citizens should not have the right to protest.

What "riot" occurred in Tiananmen?

A peaceful protest by the citizens of that country.

That is why all the non-authoritarians decried it.

Much like the one in Lafayette Square, the world is watching.

So far in this country they have only been arresting protesters.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Keep believing in and spreading propaganda for a man who thinks citizens should not have the right to protest.

He has stated their right to protest. Where do you get that he thinks citizens should not have the right to protest.

What "riot" occurred in Tiananmen?

I don't know. Maybe he knows something we don't.
Or maybe he mispoke. Or maybe he lied.

A peaceful protest by the citizens of that country.

That is why all the non-authoritarians decried it.

Trump didn't support it, said it was horrible. He used it as an example of how government strength, rather than weakness, is preferable. Poor choice of example. But I understood his underlying message.

Much like the one in Lafayette Square, the world is watching.

It's characteristic of the self-righteous, superior folks that they see "the world" as being that which reflects them. Anyone else is too ignorant to consider.

So it comes as a surprise when "the world" has a different opinion.

So far in this country they have only been arresting protesters.
Did the "protesters" do anything to get arrested? Did they steal anything, break anything that wasn't theirs, attack and injure anyone? Heard there have so far been 51 arrests for federal crimes.

I'm sure that our right thinking, compassionate white folks would disapprove of that as being oppressive, unless, of course, the 51 were white supremacists.

Actually, they arrested the four officers whose action "sparked" the protest. You'd think that should have been the goal, the way to minimize so-called systemic police brutality. Especially when even just about all the "conservatives" agree that the cop was guilty and should be punished to the extent of the law.

But if no white cops ever killed another black man, they probably wouldn't be doing their jobs. Unless there were never again any criminal black men. It really doesn't happen that much where it's not "justified."

We've seen this movie over and over, several times, white cop kills a black man, riots and burning, maiming, killing by "protesters" ensues--which don't seem to stop the white cops killing black men. Punishing the cops is never really enough.

Then comes the usual predictable deluge of understanding and important white folks, celebrities, politicians, speaking mea culpas for all white people--the entire privileged, racist, race of white people.

This time, we're going to fix it. First, for the umpth time, we white folks have to come to grips of how guilty we all are. Once we do that, it will be easy to realize what matter of reparations and how much money must be spent to once and for all, fix it.

If you make enough self flagellating, guilt ridden declarations, new symbolic laws or regulations, giveaways, wealth transfers, etc., the bad feelings will go away. For awhile.

Trump is different. He upsets the norm. He must be destroyed.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Did the "protesters" do anything to get arrested? Did they steal anything, break anything that wasn't theirs, attack and injure anyone? Heard there have so far been 51 arrests for federal crimes.

Out of how many protesters?

I'm sure that our right thinking, compassionate white folks would disapprove of that as being oppressive, unless, of course, the 51 were white supremacists.

Once again, you surmise.

Actually, they arrested the four officers whose action "sparked" the protest. You'd think that should have been the goal, the way to minimize so-called systemic police brutality. Especially when even just about all the "conservatives" agree that the cop was guilty and should be punished to the extent of the law.

Think of what it takes for one guy to do this and three others to stand by and do nothing? How many times have they played the game of push the perp in one door and yank him out the other and "keep" him pinned for trying to resist arrest? You think we are ahead just repeating this every few years? Many law enforcement professionals disagree with your militaristic viewpoint, history does also since your crush the demonstrators method has escalated violence in almost every occasion. But that is the objective, then you can claim that protesting is wrong.

But if no white cops ever killed another black man, they probably wouldn't be doing their jobs. Unless there were never again any criminal black men. It really doesn't happen that much where it's not "justified." So George Floyd's death was justified?

We've seen this movie over and over, several times, white cop kills a black man, riots and burning, maiming, killing by "protesters" ensues--which don't seem to stop the white cops killing black men. Punishing the cops is never really enough.
Is your view that many people believe all police officers should be punished?

Then comes the usual predictable deluge of understanding and important white folks, celebrities, politicians, speaking mea culpas for all white people--the entire privileged, racist, race of white people.

This time, we're going to fix it. First, for the umpth time, we white folks have to come to grips of how guilty we all are. Once we do that, it will be easy to realize what matter of reparations and how much money must be spent to once and for all, fix it.

If you make enough self flagellating, guilt ridden declarations, new symbolic laws or regulations, giveaways, wealth transfers, etc., the bad feelings will go away. For awhile.

Trump is no different than any other authoritarian, lots of people have played that game in this world. Just another weak man claiming to be strong.

Are you lost with Colludy in lala land?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
detbuch

Quote:

Out of how many protesters?

I don't know. Maybe out of all in the whole country, or from one specific location. But that was for FEDERAL crimes arrested by Federal officers. How many arrested by local police, I have no idea. But the number is probably a very small fraction of all that committed crimes. Are you assuming that the number arrested reflects how many acted criminally?

Once again, you surmise.

Absolutely. And I was being sarcastic too.

Think of what it takes for one guy to do this and three others to stand by and do nothing?

I have thought about it. Disgusting. But I don't know their individual stories of why.

How many times have they played the game of push the perp in one door and yank him out the other and "keep" him pinned for trying to resist arrest?

I don't know. I've heard that cops have those kinds of techniques they use regardless of race. I've heard, on this forum, that it's OK for the FBI to set someone up whom they have no evidence of committing a crime to make a misstatement in order to prosecute him for lying to the FBI. It seems like how some of us feel about a cop's dirty tricks depends on how we feel about the "perp."

You think we are ahead just repeating this every few years?

Repeating what? I don't think I've said we are ahead of anything in this thread.

Many law enforcement professionals disagree with your militaristic viewpoint,

what militaristic viewpoint are you talking about. Not sure I've stated a definite viewpoint up to this point in the post. But, if the many law enforcement professionals disagree with my viewpoint, I obviously agree with the other many law enforcement professionals who agree with me. No problem there. It's OK, and to be understood that is how life goes.

history does also since your crush the demonstrators method has escalated violence in almost every occasion.

I would like to take your word for it, but I don't find that to be reliable. So if history wants to disagree with me, then history should speak up and show me the errors of my ways.

Anyway, I haven't said the "demonstrators" should be crushed.

But that is the objective, then you can claim that protesting is wrong.

I have not claimed that to be the objective. Don't know what you're replying to here. Nor have I claimed that protesting is wrong.

But if no white cops ever killed another black man, they probably wouldn't be doing their jobs. Unless there were never again any criminal black men. It really doesn't happen that much where it's not "justified."

So George Floyd's death was justified?

Wha??? What did I say to influence you to ask that. I said
"when even just about all the 'conservatives' agree that the cop was guilty and should be punished to the extent of the law."

Is your view that many people believe all police officers should be punished?

No, I meant that for the mass of protestors that crop up after white cop kills black man, punishing the cops is never enough.

Trump is no different than any other authoritarian, lots of people have played that game in this world. Just another weak man claiming to be strong.

There a lot of different kinds and degrees of authoritarians. Trump is a threat to the establishment authoritarians who are our ruling class. And especially a threat to the progressive globalist authoritarians.