Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-27-2022, 09:04 PM   #481
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

Trump would have paved the way for Putin’s seizure of Ukraine

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
dumbest thing written anywhere today
Old 02-28-2022, 05:17 AM   #482
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump was pursuing a deal for his Moscow tower through his campaign and even into his first months in office…and lied to the public about it. Putin knew Trump had balls because he was holding him by them
Old 02-28-2022, 05:50 AM   #483
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The President doesn't have the authority to unilaterally decide who will be accepted into the intergovernmental forum. And, obviously, Putin didn't need being a member of the G8 to "pave his way."
So you would really argue that the West would have produced this level of organized response if Trump was in office and belittling allies, praising Putin, & denigrating international institutions-after extorting Zelensky and falsely claiming Ukraine interfered against him?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #484
Jim in CT

Quote:
So you would really argue that the West would have produced this level of organized response if Trump was in office and belittling allies, praising Putin, & denigrating international institutions-after extorting Zelensky and falsely claiming Ukraine interfered against him?
if that’s all so obvious, why didn’t Putin move when Trump was in office? you’re saying Putin would have been far better off invading then, so why didn’t he?

Have fun getting out of that one.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:18 AM   #485
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
if that’s all so obvious, why didn’t Putin move when Trump was in office? you’re saying Putin would have been far better off invading then, so why didn’t he?

Have fun getting out of that one.
Putin’s goal in 2020 just like in 2016 was to get Trump elected.
I’m sure if he had been re-elected and it came out that Putin had waited till after the election, you would be claiming “well, Obama did it”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-28-2022, 07:31 AM   #486
Jim in CT

Quote:
Putin’s goal in 2020 just like in 2016 was to get Trump elected.
I’m sure if he had been re-elected and it came out that Putin had waited till after the election, you would be claiming “well, Obama did it”
you’re saying it was more important for Putin to make Trump look good, than to invade at the optimal time.

Makes sense.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:54 AM   #487
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
you’re saying it was more important for Putin to make Trump look good, than to invade at the optimal time.

Makes sense.
Optimally, Putin would have it given to him.
Like Belarus

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-28-2022, 07:58 AM   #488
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

Makes sense.
Are you seriously questioning why we left leaning posters are focused on what Trump is doing? The GOP became the party of Trump, everything he does and says appears to point to him running again, so when we are in the worst European conflict since WWII, instead of showing support for Ukraine, the US or the EU, he lavashes praise on Putin and criticizes everything nato is doing. Trump continues to give Putin wonderful state media clips to bolster his image.

Trump gave Putin just what he needed while in office, undermining nato, legitimizing Putin’s views of Ukraine and his goals, attempting to withhold funding, it’s an easy argument to win on why Putin waited until now, knowing Trump was not in a position to help him further. Keep believing Trump isn’t influenced by Russia, I loved Mitt Romneys comments on both Trump and Green, spot on.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:17 AM   #489
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Are you seriously questioning why we left leaning posters are focused on what Trump is doing? The GOP became the party of Trump, o when we are in the worst European conflict since WWII, ineverything he does and says appears to point to him running again, sstead of showing support for Ukraine, the US or the EU, he lavashes praise on Putin and criticizes everything nato is doing. Trump continues to give Putin wonderful state media clips to bolster his image.

Trump gave Putin just what he needed while in office, undermining nato, legitimizing Putin’s views of Ukraine and his goals, attempting to withhold funding, it’s an easy argument to win on why Putin waited until now, knowing Trump was not in a position to help him further. Keep believing Trump isn’t influenced by Russia, I loved Mitt Romneys comments on both Trump and Green, spot on.
"Are you seriously questioning why we left leaning posters are focused on what Trump is doing?"

No, I'm not questioning it (I'm well aware of Trump Derangement Syndrome), I'm poking fun at it.

"he lavashes praise on Putin"

Is saying "Putin is cunning" the same as saying "I hope Putin wins"? I keep hearing democrats say that republicans and trump are "siding with Putin".

It's fait to speculate about what Trump would have done. But it's all you guys are talking about, you spend almost no time discussing what Biden is doing, and one can assume it's because you know this is another policy failure for Biden and you can't bear discussing it.

I'm with you, I don't want Trump as potus.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:24 AM   #490
PaulS

How come no word about the Turkish drones the UKR has? Wonder if they have been ineffective?
Old 02-28-2022, 08:25 AM   #491
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
"Are you seriously questioning why we left leaning posters are focused on what Trump is doing?"

No, I'm not questioning it (I'm well aware of Trump Derangement Syndrome), I'm poking fun at it.

"he lavashes praise on Putin"

Is saying "Putin is cunning" the same as saying "I hope Putin wins"? I keep hearing democrats say that republicans and trump are "siding with Putin".

It's fait to speculate about what Trump would have done. But it's all you guys are talking about, you spend almost no time discussing what Biden is doing, and one can assume it's because you know this is another policy failure for Biden and you can't bear discussing it.

I'm with you, I don't want Trump as potus.
Biden has been ramping up sanctions as has the EU, what would you have him do Jim, put boots on the ground in Ukraine? If anything I think both the US and the EU should have initiated sanctions earlier, although based on Russia's troop build up I think Putin wasn't stopping regardless.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #492
wdmso

Quote:
Biden has been ramping up sanctions as has the EU, what would you have him do Jim, put boots on the ground in Ukraine? If anything I think both the US and the EU should have initiated sanctions earlier, although based on Russia's troop build up I think Putin wasn't stopping regardless.

another policy failure for Biden

Jims just towing the Party Line ..

Only trump supporters and Haters of the Radical Left would Blame a Sitting U.S President for the invasion of another country 4,800 miles away ... By another Super Power it defies Logic or critical thinking
Old 02-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #493
detbuch

Quote:
Trump's so-called "belittling allies" was to a great extent pointing out that they needed a higher level of response to their own security. He did not see the need to spend so much of our resources to protect them if they did not do so themselves. We were spending tons of money and resources world-wide, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, south of our border, for our security and that of the rest of the world. Trump wanted others to pull some more of that weight. No doubt, that was not a popular message to those who would rather we ease their burden.

So now, Europe understands that he was right. Of course, they wouldn't put it that way.

And Trump's so-called praise of Putin was carefully diplomatic, as was his "praise of Xi and the "little rocket man." But he was also very tough on them. He was tougher on Putin than his predecessor was. He was attacking China's economy and putting pressure on NK.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:33 AM   #494
Pete F.
Canceled

Sure, tankie
I wonder if it occurs to Trump how useless he is becoming to Putin & his oligarchs now that there’s no more money flowing into USA to launder?
Given that no US, UK or EU bank is willing to lend to Trump Co, and Russia’s banks now appear off limits, that leaves only the Saudi’s to bail Trump out on the millions of loans coming due. Will they?
Old 02-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #495
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

PETE, THIS IS THE UKRAINE THREAD

Take your Trump hate and go elsewhere, or that thread.

The fact that Switzerland has broken with the past, and for the first time, frozen accounts, in line with EU sanctions is a huge development.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #496
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Scary that now Putin is really in a bad position and the influx of supplies and troops seems to indicate a renewed commitment to take the capital city. I certainly hope all the new sanctions and arms aid help them hold Russia a bay long enough for the impact in Russia to start to make him think twice about going further.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #497
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Only Biden supporters and Haters of the Conservative Right would Blame a Former U.S President for the invasion of another country 4,800 miles away ... By another Super Power it defies Logic or critical thinking
Fixed it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #498
Jim in CT

Quote:
Scary that now Putin is really in a bad position and the influx of supplies and troops seems to indicate a renewed commitment to take the capital city. I certainly hope all the new sanctions and arms aid help them hold Russia a bay long enough for the impact in Russia to start to make him think twice about going further.
agreed 100%.

i just worry that Putin is crazy and capable of anything if he senses his back is against the wall.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:30 PM   #499
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

The fact that Switzerland has broken with the past, and for the first time, frozen accounts, in line with EU sanctions is a huge development.
Never in my lifetime would i think that the Swiss would do that. Bravo to them.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:39 PM   #500
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:

Pete is the CNN of S-B
Trump hate 24-7-365 and if you don’t agree with him you’re a Racist

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 02-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #501
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Never in my lifetime would i think that the Swiss would do that. Bravo to them.
and i’ve seen congressional republicans say confidently that the global sanctions will clobber russia

seems like sanctions never do what we hope they’ll do, usually they pulverize the innocent citizens and don’t effect the leaders much who are wealthy regardless. would be nice if these sanctions hurt Putin.

scary stuff.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #502
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
How come no word about the Turkish drones the UKR has? Wonder if they have been ineffective?

Extremely effective. They need more of these than anything.

Quote:

^^^^ This

Quote:
I hope he does not retaliate or escalate. There is still a ton of #^&#^&#^&#^& he can do. Make sure you keep your heating tanks and gas tanks full, and have some cash when the ATM's don't work.

And for all of the No Fly Zone talk, enforcing it starts WWIII

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-28-2022, 03:08 PM   #503
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Extremely effective. They need more of these than anything.

^^^^ This

I hope he does not retaliate or escalate. There is still a ton of #^&#^&#^&#^& he can do. Make sure you keep your heating tanks and gas tanks full, and have some cash when the ATM's don't work.

And for all of the No Fly Zone talk, enforcing it starts WWIII
Only an idiot would consider a no fly zone as helpful.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:21 PM   #504
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

I don’t hate him, I see him for what he is and has always been.

You can watch the clips of him and his enablers being used by Russian State TV against Ukraine, great job

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/s...126618626?s=21

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #505
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
and i’ve seen congressional republicans say confidently that the global sanctions will clobber russia

seems like sanctions never do what we hope they’ll do, usually they pulverize the innocent citizens and don’t effect the leaders much who are wealthy regardless. would be nice if these sanctions hurt Putin.

scary stuff.
Unfortunately the only way the sanctions work is if they hit the Russian people, Putin owns the oligarchs, he gave them control of the means of production and has the upper hand. They can’t and won’t revolt.
When all the “peasants” are mad, no one can protect you.
A little Russian history would show you that.
Of course, if you think the Russians were better off with the Tsar’s benevolent rule…..you probably think Putin’s a good guy.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-28-2022, 04:47 PM   #506
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I hope he does not retaliate or escalate.
The way things are going today it looks like escalation is already underway. Maybe he just wants to extract a million pounds of flesh before declaring victory to the Russian people. Then he'll look for another target and wave his nukies in everyone's face for the next 20 years.

Did you see the video of the Ukrainian Ambassador reading the text from the soon to be dead Russian soldier? Pretty disturbing unless it was disinformation.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:49 PM   #507
wdmso

CPAC 2022: US conservatives show little interest in Ukraine

Some of the top Republican officeholders in the party, like Florida's Governor Ron DeSantis, Texas Senator Ted Cruz and Florida Senator Rick Scott, didn't mention Ukraine at all in their speeches.

Why is That

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60559403

and Here's another ongoing Lie from Our friends on the right

Rep. Andrew Clyde to Newsmax: Biden's Energy Policy 'Took Away Club' Against Russia

"This goes back to Inauguration Day when President Biden specifically targeted his own personal war on the United States' oil and gas industry,

"If the United States had a robust energy policy where we could be net energy exporters, then we could take away that leverage that Russia has," Clyde continued. "Russia never would have invaded Ukraine if we would have had that robust energy policy in place, because we could have crushed them immediately."

Clyde said. "He's the leader of the free world and he's going to lead, but he's not doing that very well."

seem the world disagrees
Question for him and for those who believe him.. 1st All this in under a year ?

What active oil pumping well did he shut down on Inauguration Day?

Why has No Republican Asked any us oil producers to do their part and increase oil output

no they do this
Senators to President Biden: Why Are You Favoring OPEC Oil over American Oil?

Stating the administration continues to block new federal oil and gas leasing at home.

More BS from the Right
As of January 2021, nearly half (47.4 percent) of the oil and gas industry's public land leases are sitting idle. These idle leases cover 9.9 million acres of national public lands in the West.

November 2021, which is the last data set available, the US imported 254,162,000 barrels of oil. It consumes a stunning 17.2 million barrels per day, much more than the just over 3 million of Russia.

The vast majority is from Canada, 136,090,000, making up over 50 percent of all imports. From Russia, 17,855,000 barrels were imported,

Below is what we have imported from Russia yearly since 2015
But But Biden

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le..._NUS-NRS_1&f=A

2015 135,247 2016 161,286 2017 142,011 2018 137,010 2019 189,786 2020 197,720
Old 03-01-2022, 07:08 AM   #508
wdmso

Russia is using controversial 'cluster munitions'

I did see some video a few days ago and said to myself that lots like A cluster Bomb

Fox has been showing Drone footage but with no commentary on whos it is Russian or Ukraine

And Much of the video of these attacked armor columns looks as if the had contact and the russians just opened the door and ran Off ?

not seeing many pictures of Dead or captured Russians after these engagements .. Just odd t me
Old 03-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #509
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Only an idiot would consider a no fly zone as helpful.

Well, there are a LOT of idiots out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The way things are going today it looks like escalation is already underway. Maybe he just wants to extract a million pounds of flesh before declaring victory to the Russian people. Then he'll look for another target and wave his nukies in everyone's face for the next 20 years.
Yes, it's bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Did you see the video of the Ukrainian Ambassador reading the text from the soon to be dead Russian soldier? Pretty disturbing unless it was disinformation.
That image was rumored generated on 4chan, so an unwitting amplification of disinfo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Russia is using controversial 'cluster munitions'

I did see some video a few days ago and said to myself that lots like A cluster Bomb

Fox has been showing Drone footage but with no commentary on whos it is Russian or Ukraine

And Much of the video of these attacked armor columns looks as if the had contact and the russians just opened the door and ran Off ?

not seeing many pictures of Dead or captured Russians after these engagements .. Just odd t me
Seeing a lot of dead russian units, not seeing much of ukraine. Also seeing some that are being claimed by both, and a lot of repurposed videos. Ukraine is certainly winning the public information war.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #510
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

40 mile covey coming I hope they received some more munitions they are goin* to need them.