Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 05-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #1
Surf Caster

Loaded NB Darters

A while back (some years ago) Chef Chris posted about loading the North Bar plastic darters (not bottle darter) and that he was pleased with the improved casting ability and limited impact on the action. Has anyone else tried this with success? If so, how much liquid did you use?

I’ve been a dedicated Super Strike guy but had some success on the North Bar last year and would like to try and load them to improve casting distance.
Surf Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:16 AM   #2
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

I played around with loading the NB darter when it first came out and was unable to come up with anything I really liked as far as casting or swim. I was surprised as I greatly prefer the NB bottle darter loaded with 1/2-ounce of liquid over the stock version. The NB darters ended up in a box of plugs for several seasons until last year when I dug them out on the suggestion of a friend. I gave them a shot once again in the unloaded form, and much to my surprise the unloaded version quickly became one of my top producers for 2021 with a handful of very large bass to their credit. For me they do not replace the Super Strike by any means but were a great compliment to them in certain scenarios.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
Higgie

Toby what are you using for liquid?? Been using bb’s in my redfins but don’t always want the rattle. I also started foam filling and thru wiring redfins and both seem to hold a place in the bag for certain applications.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:23 PM   #4
t_man7

If I were to invest some time into this I’d look into HG loading them. The air the body retains while gaining the desired loaded weight sounds to be the ticket for loading a darter.
t_man7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
Surf Caster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
I played around with loading the NB darter when it first came out and was unable to come up with anything I really liked as far as casting or swim. I was surprised as I greatly prefer the NB bottle darter loaded with 1/2-ounce of liquid over the stock version. The NB darters ended up in a box of plugs for several seasons until last year when I dug them out on the suggestion of a friend. I gave them a shot once again in the unloaded form, and much to my surprise the unloaded version quickly became one of my top producers for 2021 with a handful of very large bass to their credit. For me they do not replace the Super Strike by any means but were a great compliment to them in certain scenarios.
It was a similar situation for me. Super strike has always been my go to darter but for some reason last year I put an NB in my bag and caught a number of fish on it. It’s certainly not a replacement for super strike, but it was a nice addition - just wish they cast better.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:40 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Curious do You fish wooden darters? I much prefer a wooden darter over anything plastic but that’s me.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:35 PM   #7
Surf Caster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Curious do You fish wooden darters? I much prefer a wooden darter over anything plastic but that’s me.
I’ve been such a super strike darter addict that it’s been hard for me to pull any other darter out of my bag. I’ve caught more fish on an SS Darter than any other plug by far.

I have a bunch of wood darters from Beachmaster, surf asylum, and some other smaller builders but they rarely make it into the rotation. I’ve caught on some, but i keep going back to super strike.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

No doubt they are a super popular lure and many proven years as a mainstay darter. I was just curious. Always interested in what guys like to use and what they don’t necessarily use. Me personally I have never used one. I think I may have one somewhere. You obviously have great confidence in what you use and that’s half the battle. Keep
Up the good work and good luck this year. P.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Years ago I found one at Deep Hole. Blue and silver. I fished it for a long time and it was killer. Finally lost it to a Bluefish at the Fire Beach.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:46 PM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
I stopped using Gibbs darters when I had a few crack lengthwise. When I mentioned it (can't remember if it was here of the SOL), that chowderhead Dan from Gibbs got all bent and called me a liar.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #11
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgie View Post
Toby what are you using for liquid?? Been using bb’s in my redfins but don’t always want the rattle. I also started foam filling and thru wiring redfins and both seem to hold a place in the bag for certain applications.
I never use a full load of BB's as I am not a fan of the sound, but i have added a couple to my liquid mix to get just a touch of sound for certain applications. For liquid I either use mineral oil or HG, depending on what I am loading and what I want it to do as they act differently with same loads of different liquid. I think that Dave did an article for SJ a while back comparing different load liquids and had some interesting results.

Quote:
As much as I fish in rocks I stopped using wooden darters aside from the Mike's with the metal lip protector as I destroyed far too many of them. All it takes is one errant cast or dart and a wooden darter can be rendered useless. As it is the lips on my plastic darters look like they were chewed on by a dog but they swim true longer.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #12
t_man7

As much as I fish in rocks I stopped using wooden darters aside from the Mike's with the metal lip protector as I destroyed far too many of them. All it takes is one errant cast or dart and a wooden darter can be rendered useless. As it is the lips on my plastic darters look like they were chewed on by a dog but they swim true longer.[/QUOTE]

Hate how true this is, all you can really do is use rock maple and make sure there’s a solid finish. Overtime I’ll repair with superglue but it’s never the same as the plug first was made. I am trying now soaking the head in ultra thin super glue, in order to make a solid head that’s more resilient to rocks. This is before sealing.
t_man7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:39 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

True. I put titanium lips on them sometimes if I feel motivated, I think Mike got the idea from me, but if trashed I just throw them away and make more. 😉
Old 05-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #14
Surf Caster

Quote:
True. I put titanium lips on them sometimes if I feel motivated, I think Mike got the idea from me, but if trashed I just throw them away and make more. 😉
This post is worthless without pics!

Btw another super strike benefit is that since it isn’t the deepest running plug, it can be an effective plug on big but shallow cobble stone bars!
Old 05-24-2022, 12:59 PM   #15
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Caster View Post

Btw another super strike benefit is that since it isn’t the deepest running plug, it can be an effective plug on big but shallow cobble stone bars!
and thus the reason I found it at Deep Hole on the "rubble bar".

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:20 PM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Caster View Post

Yes. Good point. Most all the darters I build are lighter than most because I fish boulders and sand beaches and thus don’t drag the bottom so much. If I want heavier ones I use heavier wood. That’s what’s great about building your own you can make what you need specifically. Unfortunately I can’t post pictures from my phone here and my computer died years ago.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 05-25-2022, 10:22 PM   #17
Surf Caster

Quote:
Yes. Good point. Most all the darters I build are lighter than most because I fish boulders and sand beaches and thus don’t drag the bottom so much. If I want heavier ones I use heavier wood. That’s what’s great about building your own you can make what you need specifically. Unfortunately I can’t post pictures from my phone here and my computer died years ago.
I think I’ve got a darter or two that you’ve made (beautiful plugs!). I’m curious if you prefer a more subtle or more dramatic darting action from a darter? The super strike is obviously very subtle and I like that about it, but recently (based on my north bar experience) I’ve begun wondering about when using a darter with a more exaggerated zig and zag might be preferable (full moon nights perhaps?)