Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
NIB

What paints.

With the warm temps over the weekend I broke out the airbrush for the first time in like 2 yrs.I love the gun but usin cans is so much easier.I started goin buck nutty mixin up colors.as my dual action didn't wanna co-operate an i had to go to a older cup gun.I got lazy cleaning it out an started getting some cool effects.Some of the pearlized colors didn't wanna spray. they worked ok when i was foolin around practicing on sat On sunday when i went to paint it was cooler an the paints didn't wanna work as well especially the pearly ones.had to constantly clear the gun an cup,I mostly use the createx air brush paints.they seem the most gun user friendly. i got some other cool stuffin little glass bottles all pearlized they sprayed well before but I think as I got to the bottom of the bottles they would get more pearly an they would jam up.What do u guys use for paints.does any body use the Auto Air line from createx?Do u think the cold also makes airbrush paint coagulate even though thinned.would a little electric heater in the immediate area help?who here mixes there own colors.I know BM does quite honestly he's the only one I ever saw that blends an fogs better than I do.I can only imagine what goes on during paint day in his cave.forget turning a Pike U wanna see him Paint.that would be a lesson in madness....
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

yeah the ink pearls youre talking about tend to settle as you paint, odd that they would settle on you while using a paint cup. I spray them outta a bottle and not the cup, but between plugs I shake the lights outta them. I use createx and I use the ink pearl stuff to, I forget what the name of that stuff is, I had a pack of three paints in my hands last night at the store I really like the copper color and their blue is awesome

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
NIB

I get like 3 shots with it an i imagine all the flakes settle to the bottom an jamm up

The glass bottle stuff is called Pearlescent Liquid Acrylic.Made by Permanance I guess. A UK company made in NJ.

Does anybody add the pearl Ex powder pigments.who sprays Oils.thats gotta be a pain cleaning with turps an all.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

What type of airbrush are you using? You may need a really good cleaning. I mess around with anything acylic and mix my own.
This weekend was perffect so you can blame the temps.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Jigman

When my brush starts missbehaving like that, I break it down and give it a good cleaning. Picked up some airbrush cleaning brushes a while back. Was surprized at the amount of crap in my brush the first time I ran them through even though I had "cleaned" it on a regular basis. Now I'll use the brushes pretty much every time I paint a run of plugs.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Backbeach Jake

When I get a pearl that settles like that I add a couple of BBs to the cup. Keep shaking and it keeps it mixed.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
NIB

I have 2 single action gravity feed badgers# 100.An one dual action siphon feed # 150.an array of bits a pieces swapped out just for the heck of it.I need to get a better gun in the worst way this week.Think in of the Pasche VL?the one BM uses. or the iwata eclipse thats what bernzy uses an i hope to be able to paint half as good as those guys...Jiggy Does dixie-art carry the brushes.are they compatible with most guns.which gun do u use. is it easier or harder to break down an clean than they Iwata.Which by the way i have no idea how it is to break down.

Can't blame it on the temp?Darn.

I finally have something to do with all my old bullets from my Red Rider.Gonna shoot ur eye out.Man that was a sick movie.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Those brushes should be fine. You gotta get that trigger finger back into shape.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
NIB

u know thier old an dirty an yrs ago when i got em i started messin with em an i don't even know where i am as far as parts an stuff i just wanna get a knew an start from scratch.I like the cup but i keeep knockin it out with my fingers.its cool for a quick mix of colors.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
Jigman

Dixie art carries the brush set. Thats where I got mine. A number of different sized brushes come in the kit, so should work for a bunch of different brushes. I've used the set on my single action Paache and dual action Iwata. Bernzy made me get the Iwata

Jigman
Old 01-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

NiBuLaH,
in the cold it sucks to paint, ya got to thin that chit.
I use a pashhe VL I got 2 ofem and I got to Iwa'tahS they both have a very fine tip some pearls are a pain in the arse for the most part a VL with the 3 tips is all you need.
for me to do hair lines I got to thin the stuff abit but it depends on how warm it is i thin also.
when your done shoot laquer thinner through em.
also make sure you got a water trap on ya tank.
its awsome to blend 8 or 10 colors on a plug
ive done some wild stuff to a white plug but it aint over bearing
gimme a plug

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:27 PM   #12
NIB

Dave maybe one day when i make something worthy u can catch on I'll send ya one.

jiggy which gun do u like betta.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:01 AM   #13
Jigman

Iwata got an eclipse. The paache was a cheap brush. The Iwata is dual action. Can get much better detail out of it. I still use the paache when I am just doing base coats or other large areas where detail is not important.

Jigman
Old 01-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #14
NIB

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #15
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

Nib, if ya want to buy Createx in pints and ,i think quarts, Pearl Paint in Woodbrdge has them.They have the biggest color selection iv'e seen in the small sizes.They also have most air brush parts in stock.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #16
Bernzy

Quote:
Originally posted by Jigman
Dixie art carries the brush set. Thats where I got mine. A number of different sized brushes come in the kit, so should work for a bunch of different brushes. I've used the set on my single action Paache and dual action Iwata. Bernzy made me get the Iwata

Jigman

I just bought my 3rd Iwata, another BCS Eclipse. I also have an Eclipse gravity feed with a finer tip for extreme detail work.

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #17
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

John,did ya Hug Your Airbrush today

You are waay ahead of us Bernzy,waay ahead

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #18
Jigman

NIB, another thing you might consider if your airbrush might be clogged from old paint is to pick up some airbrush restorer. Basically an industrial strength cleaner that will remove old paint. Soak it in that stuff for a bit then use the brushes to remove the rest.

Bernzy

Jigman