Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #31
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I don't think anyone has said this except maybe you...
And the WH

In response to a question about what President Donald Trump would say to parents who have kids in school districts that may be online-only, McEnany said: “The president has said unmistakably that he wants schools to open. And when he says open, he means open in full, kids been able to attend each and every day at their school.

"The science should not stand in the way of this,” she added, saying it is "perfectly safe" to fully reopen all classrooms.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #32
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And the WH

In response to a question about what President Donald Trump would say to parents who have kids in school districts that may be online-only, McEnany said: “The president has said unmistakably that he wants schools to open. And when he says open, he means open in full, kids been able to attend each and every day at their school.

"The science should not stand in the way of this,” she added, saying it is "perfectly safe" to fully reopen all classrooms.
If you quote the rest of what she said, it appears to be quite the opposite of what your selected quote implies. Among other things she said that science supports the administrations stance. And that many other countries have opened the schools and that we are an outlier in that respect.

But that's the trick--make a headline out of a selected out of context quote to paint a negative picture. As in quote Trump as saying there were fine people on both sides but do not add that he also said in the same address that he was not referring to the Neo Nazis or white supremecists. And lots of other examples that we've already discussed.

But the trick works, so they keep doing it. And the anti-Trumpers gladly repeat it as the full and honest truth. And keep repeating it even after its been debunked. Gotta keep the narrative going.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #33
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Good argument oh but wait other countries flattened the curve and KEPT it there, there goes the rationale out the window.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Good argument oh but wait other countries flattened the curve and KEPT it there, there goes the rationale out the window.
The science she quoted was not based on the curve notion. Heck, Sweden never even locked down. She cited a JAMA article as evidence that science was on the side of opening the schools.

And, what I'm pointing out here is not whether it is right or wrong to open the schools, but that it is wrong, deceitful, a sort of lie, fake news, to select one line out of a full statement in order to distort the content into meaning the opposite of what it says.

And that is a recurring trick that anti-trumpers use over and over to make Trump out to be something he isn't.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #35
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

If you quote the rest of what she said, it appears to be quite the opposite of what your selected quote implies.
you caught skinny paul cheating again...
Old 07-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #36
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
The science she quoted was not based on the curve notion. Heck, Sweden never even locked down. She cited a JAMA article as evidence that science was on the side of opening the schools.

And, what I'm pointing out here is not whether it is right or wrong to open the schools, but that it is wrong, deceitful, a sort of lie, fake news, to select one line out of a full statement in order to distort the content into meaning the opposite of what it says.

And that is a recurring trick that anti-trumpers use over and over to make Trump out to be something he isn't.
1. Sweden's prime minister orders an inquiry into the failure of the country's no-lockdown coronavirus strategy
2. McEnany has lied too many times already, but people have taken that statement out of context. Tweety on the other hand, makes so many incoherent, incomplete and disconnected statements that it’s almost impossible to determine what he is saying or if it is anything at all. Read any transcript of his off the cuff speeches. No trick to it.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #37
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
1. Sweden's prime minister orders an inquiry into the failure of the country's no-lockdown coronavirus strategy

Sweden flattened the curve. Germany has lifted its travel restriction on Sweden. 90% of coronavirus deaths in Sweden were those over 70 years old, and mostly in elderly care centers.

2. McEnany has lied too many times already,

That's nonsense.

but people have taken that statement out of context.

Perhaps you didn't read what I said. The entire context, the entirety of what McEnany said showed that the statement meant entirely the opposite than what it appeared to mean when selected out of the entire of what she said.

Tweety on the other hand, makes so many incoherent, incomplete and disconnected statements that it’s almost impossible to determine what he is saying or if it is anything at all. Read any transcript of his off the cuff speeches.

That is switching the subject. The subject is what McEnany said.

No trick to it.
It was absolutely a "trick." The quote was selected out of the entire context in order to make it look like she was saying something opposite of what she actually said. It was a dirty trick.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #38
PaulS

Quote:

Hilarious trying to watch you constantly trying to defend Trump and your constant insults. Almost as hilarious as a non fisherman spending time on a fishing website debating politics.

Last edited by PaulS; 07-18-2020 at 10:17 AM..
Old 07-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #39
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
2. McEnany has lied too many times already, but people have taken that statement out of context. Tweety on the other hand, makes so many incoherent, incomplete and disconnected statements that it’s almost impossible to determine what he is saying or if it is anything at all. Read any transcript of his off the cuff speeches. No trick to it.
Remember the first time she spoke and she promised not to lie. What a joke. It's funny watching the Trump people make fun of Biden yet trump makes more incoherent statements than anyone and we're constantly told you have to understand what he means not what he says.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #40
detbuch

Quote:
Hilarious trying to watch you constantly trying to defend Trump and your constant insults. Almost as hilarious as a non fisherman spending time on a fishing website debating politics.
Your quoting McEnany selectively was a dirty trick unbecoming of the usually moral and better person that you are. I was defending her, not Trump.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #41
PaulS

Quote:
Your quoting McEnany selectively was a dirty trick unbecoming of the usually moral and better person that you are. I was defending her, not Trump.
See you can't help yourself
Old 07-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #42
detbuch

Quote:
See you can't help yourself
Are you helping yourself?
Old 07-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #43
spence

She makes no sense because her job is to spin the absurd. If it’s perfectly safe then there’s no need for science to get in the way. There is no science that says it’s perfectly safe, that’s why states are frantically trying to come up with a plan.

This is the biggest cluster#^&#^&#^&#^& since the bungling of the Iraq war.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #44
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

spin the absurd.

hahaha....your forte
Old 07-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #45
scottw

Quote:

Almost as hilarious as a non fisherman spending time on a fishing website debating politics.

be thankful someone is willing to converse with you....
Old 07-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #46
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
She makes no sense because her job is to spin the absurd. If it’s perfectly safe then there’s no need for science to get in the way. There is no science that says it’s perfectly safe, that’s why states are frantically trying to come up with a plan.

This is the biggest cluster#^&#^&#^&#^& since the bungling of the Iraq war.
Your opposing opinion is to be expected. As is you're opinionated exaggeration. It is not your opinion that I argue against. It is the motive behind most who spout such extreme absurdities. Get rid of Trump at all costs, lies, tricks, nonsense . . .

Getting rid of Trump at this point means defeating him in the election. Which would bring the Progressives to power. Which would, pardon my extremism, be the biggest Flustercluck since slavery.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #47
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I find it amusing people attempt to debate politics with the blue man, he is locked in and can’t view any other position as correct. He probably searched long and wide for an obscure political message board where he could pontificate with impunity, otherwise how does a Midwest non fisherman end up of a New England striped bass website with so few members and activity.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #48
scottw

Quote:
I find it amusing people attempt to debate politics with the blue man, he is locked in and can’t view any other position as correct. He probably searched long and wide for an obscure political message board where he could pontificate with impunity, otherwise how does a Midwest non fisherman end up of a New England striped bass website with so few members and activity.
ahhh....the cancel culture
Old 07-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #49
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

For me to be part of a cancel culture as it relates to our blue man, I would have had to support him and his opinions at some point, me thinks that little ditty just doesn’t apply. But hey it’s always good to keep trying, it’s important in the learning process.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #50
detbuch

Quote:
Being amused is a plus in life. I feel a small reward for adding some amusement in yours. However little, I like to help, if possible.

I view many positions, even some of yours, as correct. So I don't think my commenting on those positions adds anything.

I explicitly recounted how I ended up on this website. I wasn't searching long and wide for a political message board, didn't even know they existed. I suspect that there are many more people than you think who have found there way here while searching for something else. I have seen that there have been times when well over 300 viewers were tuning in to the political forum. But, since you claim you don't read my posts, I can see how you missed the little story of how I got here. And I certainly wasn't looking for a place to, as you put it, pontificate.

To me, having intelligent conversations is not pontificating. To each his own. I apologize for any minor conflict I may have caused for you--on the one hand amusing you, on the other irritating you (viewing something as pontificating is considering it "annoyingly pompous"). On the other hand . . . I really don't care.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #51
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I can’t recall a single position I have stated where you were in agreement, I must have had a senior moment for a day or two, otherwise I’d have cracked a bottle to celebrate a miracle.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #52
detbuch

Quote:
I can’t recall a single position I have stated where you were in agreement, I must have had a senior moment for a day or two, otherwise I’d have cracked a bottle to celebrate a miracle.
How could you recall something I didn't say. As I said above, when I agreed with something someone said, I didn't feel the need to say that I agreed, that it would add nothing. So, the vast majority of times, I made no replies to comments I agreed with. I don't recall offhand the times I agreed with something you said. But I know there have been several. It's really no big deal. I'm not who or what you think I am. But that's OK, and not important.

What I care about, as I've said many times, is not Trump or Biden or particular personalities with personal faults. Rather its what wdmso often refers to as the big picture. I care about the nature of the system by which we are governed. I still see the constitutional system we inherited as not only the best, but the danger to our liberties if we traded it for a Progressive government.

And that's the only real political conversation, I think, that is worth having. But we remain, how did you put it re your perception of me, "locked in" to making the issue about Trump. I could care less about Trump except only that if he loses and Congress is controlled by Progressives, then bye-bye constitutional order, hello brave new completely regulatory state.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #53
Sea Dangles

Quote:
you caught skinny paul cheating again...
👖👖👖🤷🏽#^&♂️

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #54
PaulS

Quote:
be thankful someone is willing to converse with you....
Think of it this way - when I spend 5 days in Newport recently I didn't text you
Old 07-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #55
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
👖👖👖🤷🏽#^&♂️
Do we have a fat slob emoji
Old 07-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #56
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Think of it this way - when I spend 5 days in Newport recently I didn't text you
Scott
Sorry for your loss👖👖👖

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #57
scottw

Quote:
You should have. Do you need my #
Old 07-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #58
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Scott
Sorry for your loss👖👖👖
I have some extra small waders for him
Old 07-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #59
scottw

Quote:

I must have had a senior moment for a day or two,

Ummmm...every day pretty much
Old 07-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #60
scottw

Quote:

For me to be part of a cancel culture as it relates to our blue man, I would have had to support him and his opinions at some point,

Not really