Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Are the conserv. allways talking about taking up arms? Is it empty talk?
I'm not sure of your point Paul
Obama has been the best thing for gun sales. I have no idea what that means either but it does indicate a loss of trust for the government and in people in general. I'm comfortable with well armed citizens. My neighbors are armed as am I . Crazy but I find myself sleeping better knowing that. I trust my friends and neighbors .
Conservatives tend to look out for them selfs and others. Despite how you would like to paint them
You can trust in the government ...,
I'll be a bit more cynical
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Are the conserv. allways talking about taking up arms? Is it empty talk?
"Are the conserv. allways talking about taking up arms?"

One of the more stupid questions i have ever heard...but I'll answer it (unlike you, you dodged my question about who yuo'd rather have across the street from your restaurant).

Conservatives do not talk about "taking up arms" every single time we don't get our way. Look at every single example of civil unrest in this country in the last 25 years. In most cases, you see liberal anarchists aren't getting what they want, and they respond by throwing temper tantrums.

When OJ got acquitted, I don't recall the right-wing law-and-order types staging riots.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #33
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Are the conserv. allways talking about taking up arms?"

One of the more stupid questions i have ever heard...but I'll answer it (unlike you, you dodged my question about who yuo'd rather have across the street from your restaurant)you mean some minor, fringe group vs. a mainstream political movement that has moved the whole Repub. party?.

Conservatives do not talk about "taking up arms" every singleDid I say "every single time" - they do say it quite a bit. Watch next week after the election. time we don't get our way. Look at every single example of civil unrest in this country in the last 25 years. In most cases, you see liberal anarchists aren't getting what they want, and they respond by throwing temper tantrums.

When OJ got acquitted, I don't recall the right-wing law-and-order types staging riots.I don't recall liberals rioting either. For you to use that as an example must mean that you equate the African Americans who rioted to liberals? So that is why I'm constantly reading things here and wondering who people are talking about? African American's = liberals. I got it. Now when people say liberals are always looking for handouts, they mean African Americans but are using code words. I finally got the conserv. code word key down.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up.
You don't recall the liberals rioting? Well, of course they didn't riot after OJ was acquitted, because that was what many liberals wanted. But do you not recall what happened after the Rodney King cops were acquitted? Your recollection needs a tune-up, it would appear.

If Obama wins, there will be no conservative riots, just like there weren't any in 2008. So you just keep making stuff up.

In the final days of this campaign, we see the Obama administration's indefensible reaction to the Libyan attack. And now, we see that unemployment is increasing again. Only 1 network will discuss either of these things, and what they clearly say about the incumbent.

I cannot understand why this is a close election.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
PaulS

Quote:
You don't recall the liberals rioting? Well, of course they didn't riot after OJ was acquitted, because that was what many liberals wanted. But do you not recall what happened after the Rodney King cops were acquitted? Your recollection needs a tune-up, it would appear.

I certainly remember the riots - How do you know it was "liberals" rioting? Your just assigning positions based on your views and prejudices. I thought OJ was guilty so that disproves your point that liberals wanted him acquitted.

I thought Raider Ronnie said Romney was going to walk away w/the election?

If Obama wins I think it is b/c Romney threw his lot in w/the most right wing of the party (see Ryan). From abortion to healthcare he has been willing to reverse his previous positions so that they match the party. He apparently will say anything to get elected.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #36
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

IMHO, the number of people who want free stuff and large Govt to put
their mittens on for them is growing.
What used to be the majority of people who took pride in their independence and
hard work are dwindling.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'm not sure of your point Paul
Jim is trying to make the absurd point that when liberals don't get their way, they resort to rioting. I'm making the equally absurd point that when cons. don't get their way, they talk about taking about arms.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
buckman

I agree with you Paul that the people who rioted were not liberals they were a product of the liberal agenda though
Your way off base and entirely hypocritical in your analysis of Romney
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
I certainly remember the riots - How do you know it was "liberals" rioting? Your just assigning positions based on your views and prejudices. I thought OJ was guilty so that disproves your point that liberals wanted him acquitted.

I thought Raider Ronnie said Romney was going to walk away w/the election?

If Obama wins I think it is b/c Romney threw his lot in w/the most right wing of the party (see Ryan). From abortion to healthcare he has been willing to reverse his previous positions so that they match the party. He apparently will say anything to get elected.
"How do you know it was "liberals" rioting? "

I know because I am objective and rational.

I'm not saying that all liberals are anarchists. What I'm saying is that when you see a good riot in the US, it's almost always to advance a liberal agenda (or to protest a conservative ideal)

"I thought Raider Ronnie said Romney was going to walk away w/the election?"

What's your point? Ronie is entitled to his opinion, but it's his opinion, not fact. I sure hope he's right...

"He (Romney) apparently will say anything to get elected"

As opposed to Obama, who said the following:

that he'd close Gitmo
that he'd cut the deficit in half
that unemployment would be less than 6%
that he would be a post-racial president (right!)
that he would be a post-patrisan president
that he would not have lobbyists around
that proposed bills would be online for us to see

Bill Clinton was one of the greatest flip-floppers in the history of the world (he governed like a Tea Partier during his second term). His flip-flopping on economic policy was one of the best things any president has ever done. I'll take a flip-flopper over a liar who abandons troops fighting for their lives (and refuses to discuss it), and who supports the killing of babies after they are born. And people say Romney's position on abortion is extreme...
Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim is trying to make the absurd point that when liberals don't get their way, they resort to rioting. I'm making the equally absurd point that when cons. don't get their way, they talk about taking about arms.
Excdept I can point to as many recent examples as you'd like, of anarchy taking place when liberals don't get their way.

Race riots, anti-war riots, Wesleyan students throwing condoms at Antonin Scalia, liberal college students storming the stage when Ann Coulter tries to speak at UCONN, liberal college students storming the stage when The Minutemen try to speak at Columbia, rioting when the Rodney King cops were acquitted, the Occupy Wall Street kooks, anarchy outside the 2008 Republican convention (hundreds of arests), rioting every time the economic group G-12 has a conference, liberals rioting in Europe when cuts are announced to entitlement programs...

Where are the examples of equivalent large-scale civil unrest when conservatives want to make a point?

Just because you don't like what I'm saying, doesn't make it false.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #41
Scuttlebutt
Guess what...

Speaking of the liberal occupy kooks....they spend weeks and week and weeks in tents for some lame-ass cause. Obviously they don't have jobs and are s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g off the government tit...do something productive with your lives...like get a real job...losers!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #42
wader-dad

Does not matter who gets in- Big Corporations operate under their own rules- tolerating government and not hiring anyone.

Big five Oil companies. projected profits this year 100 Billion. In 2010 big 5 had 11,400 less employees than in 2005. Actually will produce 5% less oil in 2012 Have 75 billion in cash that is not being invested in workers or production. Have not built a major refinery in the US in 40 years, decide to take down most major refineries for maintenance every spring just before driving season to jack up prices. 2.5 billion in tax breaks for intangible drilling costs. 25% of Profits used to buy back stock and compensation to executives. Pay small percentage of income taxes.

Congress does not have the courage to enact a flat tax and eliminate transfer price rules that allow multinational corporations to keep profits overseas. You do not want to know about what Apple does to almost eliminate their taxes.

It sucks that the regular guys get hosed and the Corporations and oil in particular are getting the corporate entitlements.

Who and what is going to change this?

don't get me wrong - I am all for capitalism. I am not a nut. But stuff like this is a rip off.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #43
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Dont forget obongo's fast and furious guns situation with the meskins and the dea... Question he dodged in the second debate btw.

He made history for sure etc but pretty much f'd up at every step. should gather whatever grace hes got left and get the #^&#^&#^&#^& out..

Domination takes full concentration..
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #44
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber View Post
Dont forget obongo's fast and furious guns situation with the meskins and the dea... Question he dodged in the second debate btw.

He made history for sure etc but pretty much f'd up at every step. should gather whatever grace hes got left and get the #^&#^&#^&#^& out..
Too bad the investigation didn't play that out.

Nor do the polls indicate a Romney sweep.

Question, do I pass the dutchie to the left hand side? I think some of you have had enough.

-spence
Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #45
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

The red skin rule predicts Romney victory
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #46
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Consrtuction jobs will tick up again after the election because of Sandy.
My son in law, union electrcian, went back to work again last week after
being out of work for 22 of the last 24 months. Busting his chops 16 hours
a day in all kinds of weather so he can pay 40% of it back to the Govt.
Big Govt, ya just can't beat it.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Consrtuction jobs will tick up again after the election because of Sandy.
My son in law, union electrcian, went back to work again last week after
being out of work for 22 of the last 24 months. Busting his chops 16 hours
a day in all kinds of weather so he can pay 40% of it back to the Govt.
Big Govt, ya just can't beat it.
Jobs in general will likely tick up after the election regardless of who's elected.

-spence
Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #48
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jobs in general will likely tick up after the election regardless of who's elected.

-spence
stupidest thing you've said on this site.
The country, regardless of the election is holding its breath with the pending "fiscal cliff". Is my estate taxed at 55% or ZERO? Are my taxes going up? Do I need to make less $ and get lower taxes?
What government programs are being cut, whats that mean? We have MANDATED changes happening in just a little over a month!
This is not BS, its reality. Who the hell is goign to hire in this environment?
get a clue spence. this is not science fiction,,,,

The potential, Fiscal Cliff fear factor will increase as the US gets closer to the year end. Will lawmakers rise to the challenge, or will they put things off again? As of last week, the US Treasury was $235 billion below the $16.4 trillion statutory ceiling on the amount it can borrow. That gives the Us Government enough funds to pay its bills, including interest on its debt and retirement health benefits, until the end of the year, the Treasury said, reiterating a forecast it made in August. If Congress fails to raise the debt limit, analysts expect the Treasury will run out of options to avoid a default sometime in the latter half of February. However, the forecast could change dramatically depending on how the administration and Congress deal with the massive tax increases and spending cuts due to go into effect at year-end. After Tuesday’s Presidential and Congressional elections, the US will have less than two months to find a solution to the so-called Fiscal Cliff – the $600 billion in tax increases and budget cuts that could fuel a fresh recession. Treasury officials, briefing reporters on debt sale plans, said it was urgent that Congress act to increase the nation’s borrowing authority, reported Reuters. “As we saw last summer, it is important that the debt limit is raised in a timely manner,” said Treasury Assistant Secretary Matthew Rutherford. A political fight last summer over raising the debt ceiling pushed the United States to the brink of default and prompted Standard and Poor’s to downgrade the country’s top-tier credit rating. A congressional watchdog agency said the battle also drove up Treasury’s borrowing costs

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #49
striperman36
Old Guy

I have been expecting a Layoff Notice this week, based on WARN Act requirements of 60 day notice of significant layoff action because this
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I have been expecting a Layoff Notice this week, based on WARN Act requirements of 60 day notice of significant layoff action because this
Dastardly WARN act, 'cept when it doesn't warn you.

Sincerely hope you are unaffected and sincerely hope the doom of sequestration doesn't happen.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #51
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Dastardly WARN act, 'cept when it doesn't warn you.

Sincerely hope you are unaffected and sincerely hope the doom of sequestration doesn't happen.
Thank you John, the week is young
Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #52
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Holiday season jobs always go up ... no ?

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #53
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Thank you John, the week is young
If you do get that notice let me know. I know your skill set is scientific in nature. I have a friend at Woods Hole

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #54
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
If you do get that notice let me know. I know your skill set is scientific in nature. I have a friend at Woods Hole
I'm ready now!!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #55
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
No, it's common sense.

There will be a resolution to the fiscal cliff. Not a permanent one at the end of the year but nobody wants to see it all blow up. It will be dramatic, lots of pundits predicting dire situations but in the end they will do something.

Mega trends trump partisan politics every time.

-spence
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #56
Van
zoom

I predicted this 10 months ago...
There aren't enough rich left in this country to vote in a republican.

AND I WON 20 BUCKS !!!!!!!!

Now we just gotta find all those millionaires that don't pay taxes.
I only know of 2.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #57
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
No, it's common sense.

There will be a resolution to the fiscal cliff. Not a permanent one at the end of the year but nobody wants to see it all blow up. It will be dramatic, lots of pundits predicting dire situations but in the end they will do something.

-spence
you are out of touch. most organizations I know are in stress test mode seeing if they can handle the dispruption over the next few months. This is stuff I am living, not something I read from Tom Friedman. You tie our fiscal cliff, tax increases and the euro debt crisis......sure spence, companies will be hiring. Get a clue.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #58
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

gee spence, lets see what this "pundit" says....

Gross: Fixing 'Cliff' Will Mean 'High, Higher' Taxes - Yahoo! Finance

sure companies will be hiring.....

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #59
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
I predicted this 10 months ago...
There aren't enough rich left in this country to vote in a republican.

AND I WON 20 BUCKS !!!!!!!!

Now we just gotta find all those millionaires that don't pay taxes.
I only know of 2.
any millionaires I know certainly DO pay taxes, and lots of them
I'm not sure how you can have an income above 4 or 500 g's and not pay taxes
wish I knew, maybe I could get more work.

pretty sad state the country is heading in
Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #60
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

[QUOTE=spence;967930

-spence[/QUOTE]

Ya mean like the downward trend of the market?

" Choose Life "