Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 05-07-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
yacka

chum and bulk herring

Does anyone know a recipe for chum for Stripers and can anyone tell me where I can by fresh herring in bulk from a wholesale fish distributor? Thank you very much. Yacka
yacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
Fly Rod

Several of my friends and I just grind it upand freeze it till it is time to use it. I just ground up a full 5gal. bucket of fresh whole herring which will equall about 3gals. when ground. You should have a deep chest freezer. When you can buy your bait by the tote unless you are a rich person and buy it by the 5gal. bucket take a plastic bag put it in the 5gal.bucket or however,fill the bucket take the plastic bag with your bait and put it in the feezer for future use for chunking when there is no live bait around.

$15-20.00 for a tote= about4-5, 5gal. buckets per tote

$10.00 for a 5gal bucket.

Never ask for striper bait they some times charge extra.

Ask for lobster bait it's the same herring.

i see that you are from Boston. There is a Channel Bait Co. in Boston.

Do you know any lobster men in Boston? they can lead you in the right direction
Go and check out the Boston fish pier. Also if you see a boat taking out herring don't be shy ask if you can buy a tote or bucket. Sometimes the boat will fill your bucket for free.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:51 PM   #3
yacka

Hey, thanks alot for all the info. I'll let you know how I did. Good Luck to you.
yacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:11 PM   #4
Fly Rod

Yacka- if you come to Gloucester Mass. on a week day try the State fish pier known as the Jodrey fish pier now a days. Come all the way down #128 turn right at 2nd set of lights and sharp left stright ahead to state pier go all the way to end turn right at end of buildings and your there

Shouldn't say this because sandman gets upset when you talk commercial, but the plant processes up to 300,000 lbs. per day. when they have herring or mackeral.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:00 PM   #5
hooked

Try D&B at 54 Commercial in Gloucester.

Last season I stopped there for bait. The guy working there took a snow shovel and filled a 5 gallon pail full of hering. Then he said "$2.00".

Best deal I ever got.
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
Fly Rod

D&B must have had a kind heart that day!!!! Kinda forgot that place. Only go there when no one else has bait. quality isn't always that good, RED EYE!!! fish old STINKY fish ,fish very OLD

Last edited by Fly Rod; 05-16-2003 at 08:56 AM..
Old 07-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #7
Surfcastinglife

fly rod thats the exact place i get bait when i figh the lighthouse up in gloucester
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote