Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #31
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
What kind of tone does Obamoron have in the literary world?
It may depend on the soundtrack in your head.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It may depend on the soundtrack in your head.
Usually the Benny Hill Theme.......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Plagiarized from Wickipedia (but not cut and pasted, so presumably ok and suitable for PaulS to read):

"Tone is a literary technique that is part of a composition, which encompasses the attitude toward the subject and toward the audience implied in a literary work. Tone may be formal, informal, solemn, somber, playful, serious, ironic, condescending, or many other possible attitudes. . . . All pieces of literature, even official documents, have some sort of tone."

When PaulS accuses ScottW of being one of the least classy people on this site, that has a formal, serious and condescending tone.

Condescension is one of the least classy tones.
it's OK, I don't take it personally...I think PaulS is funny and I'm sure he's a great guy....and VERY classy.....everytime someone mentions "classy", for some reason, all I can think of is Will Farrell dressed up in a bad 70's outfit....if that's classy, I'm cool w/not being that

TDF sets his "tone" with his avatar, everytime he drops an amusing one-liner observation I glance at Archie and laugh my ass off...good stuff
Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #34
PaulS

Quote:
Plagiarized from Wickipedia (but not cut and pasted, so presumably ok and suitable for PaulS to read):

"Tone is a literary technique that is part of a composition, which encompasses the attitude toward the subject and toward the audience implied in a literary work. Tone may be formal, informal, solemn, somber, playful, serious, ironic, condescending, or many other possible attitudes. . . . All pieces of literature, even official documents, have some sort of tone."

When PaulS accuses ScottW of being one of the least classy people on this site, that has a formal, serious and condescending tone.

Condescension is one of the least classy tones.
I never said C&Ps, I said C&Ps from biased sites and I don't consider Wikiepedia biased. I've agreed some of my posts prob. are condescending. I still rather be cond. than outright rude and insulting.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Usually the Benny Hill Theme.......
Benny Hill Theme and Obamorons--very apt connection.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #36
JohnnyD

In hopes of derailing the schoolyard battle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
This is ridiculous and scientifically inaccurate.

I went to the CDC website (Healthy Weight: Assessing Your Weight: Body Mass Index (BMI) | DNPAO | CDC) and used their height/weight method of calculating BMI and it came out to 22, which puts me in the middle of Normal with regards to body fat. The problem with this height/weight method is that body type and fitness level are not included.

Every month or so I have my body composition checked at my gym. They have a machine that uses electrodes on the foot and wrist to measure % body fat, % water, % muscle and other. The last time I got checked, I was at 4% body fat - I believe the range for Normal is 19-24.

Now, we all know where this is going. Doctor's will have to include BMI (which can already be calculated based on the height/weight measurements they take) and insurance companies will start using that number to adjust policy rates. If I succeed in my goal of putting on 15 more pounds of muscle, it will place me on the line of Normal and Overweight with regards to body fat even though I'll still be around 4-5%.

One other example, I looked up Tom Brady's height/weight - 6'4" 225lbs. The standard BMI calculator say his BMI is 27.4, dead center of the Overweight category. Anyone think that's accurate.

At the same time, don't some of you guys try to use the above as an excuse. If you can't see your own toes, the numbers are probably correct.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #37
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I never said C&Ps, I said C&Ps from biased sites and I don't consider Wikiepedia biased. I've agreed some of my posts prob. are condescending. I still rather be cond. than outright rude and insulting.
Paul, You and I may differ on which sites are biased. Personal opinion on what is or is not biased is, in itself, a bias. Actually, I consider all sites, including Wikiepedia, and all people, including me, biased.

Though I don't know you personally, I sense that you're a decent, well-meaning person with strongly moral views. But I am a bit confused by your rather being condescending than outright rude and insulting. To me, condescension is a form of rudeness and is quite insulting. Do you mean that because condescension is a more subtle form of rudeness and therefore not as "outright" it is not as bad as other forms.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #38
PaulS

Agreed, all people are biased and prob. all sites are biased b/c someone has to write the articles and those people come with a biased view. But I'm sure you agree that certain sites favor the extreme left/right and some try to maintain an "unbiased view".

Your right it is more subtle and I don't think it is insulting as using morons or idiots when making a post like some posters. I'm sure some of your posts can be viewed as condescending (as prob. everyone's can) but I don't recall you using the words idiot/moron, etc. when discussing people/policies you disagree with.

And I view my Nantucket reds as classy.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #39
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Benny Hill Theme and Obamorons--very apt connection.
Last administration it was this....

......who knows what the next one will bring.

looking at the cast of characters getting propped up for it......it will probably be this....

Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #40
detbuch

Quote:
Last administration it was this....

Very classy stuff. I'm sure you have more of the same for the administration before the last one, and before that, and before that, all the way back to the first one. But that's all kind of old now, isn't it. Hope that soundtrack in your head isn't getting stuck on oldies or stupid. You got one of these for the present administration?

......who knows what the next one will bring.

looking at the cast of characters getting propped up for it......it will probably be this....

More very insightful, classy, cacophony with that elegant tone which mixes very well in a blaring, screechy way with the Benny Hill theme and a dash of Archie Bunker. One can learn a great deal from posts like these.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #41
JohnnyD

Listen guys, let's put our differences aside, grab some beers and head out for a good ol' fashioned pig race...

Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #42
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Listen guys, let's put our differences aside, grab some beers and head out for a good ol' fashioned pig race...

I like it!! But I'm not sure I have a jock cup strong enough to protect the jewels.

On the other hand, the guy in your video seems to be having a hoot. A case where drinking while driving is a good thing.

Last edited by detbuch; 07-17-2010 at 11:04 AM..
Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #43
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
More very insightful, classy, cacophony with that elegant tone which mixes very well in a blaring, screechy way with the Benny Hill theme and a dash of Archie Bunker. One can learn a great deal from posts like these.
I thought we had agreed on Benny Hill for the current admin....

Maybe this would be great for the Clinton Admin....

Quote:
Oh I forgot where I was....political forum....check your sense of humor at the door. 1st one to stick a lump of coal up there a$$ and turn it into a diamond wins....sorry....won't make that mistake again

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #44
detbuch

Quote:
Oh I forgot where I was....political forum....check your sense of humor at the door. 1st one to stick a lump of coal up there a$$ and turn it into a diamond wins....sorry....won't make that mistake again
Yeah . . . I see . . . when you asked RIJimmy how a typed message could have tone, you (obviously being a master of the technique) knew very well how it could. You were just being humorous. And when you asked me what kind of tone Obamoron has, again, you knew the answer . . . you were just being funny.

Oh, I forgot, you're TDF, the razz man. You're allowed to be sarcastic . . . er . . . funny. Beware the fool who would throw some back at you lest he be attacked by a flurry of you tube videos.

The first one to stick a you tube video up his a$$ and turn it into a joke . . . wins?
Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #45
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I thought mine and Jimmy's banter back in forth ended rather friendly....even threw in a group hug.....

My point about tone was that you can't really judge it on an internet board....although from your last post I'm pretty sure you got your panties in a twist......Unless I'm mis-reading it.

sometimes tone is all in how you read it....not how it was written.....this board has more chit started because people take, what somebody posts, the wrong way......they read it and insert their own tone which might not be the tone that the writer intended.....I'm pretty sure everybody has been bitten by that one time or another here.

If I agree with what your saying, or like you, I read it in a positive tone....If I don't agree with what you wrote or Don't like you (Sad, but it does happen here) I will read it w/ a negative tone....even if what you're writing might be something I agree with, but because so and so posted it I read it negatively......That happens a lot in this forum

And I like to be Sarcastic....er funny, because after all this is supposed to be fun. Everybody is all serious and gets nasty and I try to throw something wise-ass out there to lighten things up.....but, obviously humor is objective, so you obviously don't find my sense of Sarcastic humor funny. I posted youtube videos that picked on both parties so I wasn't picking on one over the other.....because they both pretty much are a Joke these days (hence the "That's All Folks" video)

and the Diamond crack was for everybody, because everybody in here is so tight-assed ......people need to lighten up.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #46
scottw

OK, so everyone lighten up...then please note that even the NY Times is admitting that Obama is a LIAR...lied about healthcare(just for starters).....please read...

Changing Stance, Administration Now Defends Insurance Mandate as a Tax
By ROBERT PEAR
Published: July 16, 2010

WASHINGTON — When Congress required most Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a penalty, Democrats denied that they were creating a new tax. But in court, the Obama administration and its allies now defend the requirement as an exercise of the government’s “power to lay and collect taxes.”

And that power, they say, is even more sweeping than the federal power to regulate interstate commerce.

Administration officials say the tax argument is a linchpin of their legal case in defense of the health care overhaul and its individual mandate, now being challenged in court by more than 20 states and several private organizations.

Under the legislation signed by President Obama in March, most Americans will have to maintain “minimum essential coverage” starting in 2014. Many people will be eligible for federal subsidies to help them pay premiums.

In a brief defending the law, the Justice Department says the requirement for people to carry insurance or pay the penalty is “a valid exercise” of Congress’s power to impose taxes.

Congress can use its taxing power “even for purposes that would exceed its powers under other provisions” of the Constitution, the department said. For more than a century, it added, the Supreme Court has held that Congress can tax activities that it could not reach by using its power to regulate commerce.

While Congress was working on the health care legislation, Mr. Obama refused to accept the argument that a mandate to buy insurance, enforced by financial penalties, was equivalent to a tax.

For us to say that you’ve got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase,” the president said last September, in a spirited exchange with George Stephanopoulos on the ABC News program “This Week.”

When Mr. Stephanopoulos said the penalty appeared to fit the dictionary definition of a tax, Mr. Obama replied, “I absolutely reject that notion.”

you also need to read the details of the enormous chnges in the scope and powers of the IRS pertaining to this new healthcare legislation

good thing this adminisrtation understands it's limits...scary times
Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #47
PaulS

Does everyone like my nantucket reds?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #48
detbuch

Quote:
I thought mine and Jimmy's banter back in forth ended rather friendly....even threw in a group hug.....

Yes it did end rather friendly, even to the point of Jimmy admitting he comes across as an arrogant ass and you agreeing. I was impressed, and must admit am now humbled by your reasoned response to my snotty comeback. I have learned not to evah mess wit da razz man agin cause he can stick you wit da jokes o' bring you down yo knees wi' sugah.

My point about tone was that you can't really judge it on an internet board....although from your last post I'm pretty sure you got your panties in a twist......Unless I'm mis-reading it.

I think you usually can. The tone is usually intentional (consciously or unconsciously) and easily discerned (unless the speaker is inept). On the other hand . . . yeah, you sort of did mis-read it. I guess I did as well. I thought YOU were the one whose panties were gripping your stuff too tight, and was enjoying the banter, looking forward to more sarcastic one-liners to see if I had enough moxie to get you back. As you say, this is supposed to be fun. I have to admit, your pretty good at it and have a strong alpha male personality (might be misreading that) and it is a bit daunting to go at it with you. But the challenge, to my twisted mind, is inviting.

sometimes tone is all in how you read it....not how it was written.....this board has more chit started because people take, what somebody posts, the wrong way......they read it and insert their own tone which might not be the tone that the writer intended.....I'm pretty sure everybody has been bitten by that one time or another here.

Sometimes it is in how you read it. Obviously, then, sometimes it isn't. Again, much tone is intended, and ALL writing or communication, according to Wicki, have some form of tone. If the reader is wrapped up in his views, he may see things that are not intended. If the writer is good enough, most readers will get what is intended. No doubt everybody has been bitten by the mis-read. But, I think, most of the time the truth comes across.

If I agree with what your saying, or like you, I read it in a positive tone....If I don't agree with what you wrote or Don't like you (Sad, but it does happen here) I will read it w/ a negative tone....even if what you're writing might be something I agree with, but because so and so posted it I read it negatively......That happens a lot in this forum

The art of discussion, of communicating, of getting your message heard in the way you wish, like any other art or endeavor, is honed by practice. The more we are mis-understood, the more we restate our opinion, the more we learn how not to be mis-understood.

And I like to be Sarcastic....er funny, because after all this is supposed to be fun. Everybody is all serious and gets nasty and I try to throw something wise-ass out there to lighten things up.....but, obviously humor is objective, so you obviously don't find my sense of Sarcastic humor funny. I posted youtube videos that picked on both parties so I wasn't picking on one over the other.....because they both pretty much are a Joke these days (hence the "That's All Folks" video)

It's not that I don't find your sarcasm funny . . . to a point. It's the never ending stream. And what is happening politically "these days" is not funny. It is very serious. And both parties being a joke is definitely not funny. If that could be fixed by bombarding them and us, the voters, with humor (sarcastic or otherwise) that would be a way to go. If political forums were just about having fun, not changing minds, the JOKE would be supreme.

and the Diamond crack was for everybody, because everybody in here is so tight-assed ......people need to lighten up.
OK. I'll keep in mind that when you poke and dig, it's with the intent of lightening up, but not to the point that serious intent is lost.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #49
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Does everyone like my nantucket reds?
Being from the Mid-west, didn't know what a nantucket red is. Thought it might be some kind of chicken . . . like a Rhode Island Red? Googled it and found pictures of red pants, long and short trousers. Is that an East Coast thing? Folks this way, for the most part, aren't into red pants, at least, not the men. Lots of the women have red pants. Seen some really colorful outfits on some black men at the golf course. They were also wearing some bling. Didn't play too well, but looked sharp. Uh . . . yeah . . . I think they're OK. Diversity is big nowadays.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #50
Raven

TONE equals inflextion of voice

and while writing there is NONE unless you point to it...
says Elmer Fudd.. as an example

to quote TDF

i sure have TDF

with inflextion....."of voice "

if you ask the question
VERBALLY SPEAKING NOW
are you going? with the range of tone going up so that the word "going" is emphasized in a higher tone.... like the English people talk...

it signifies interest, ambition, and positive replies....

but when you say it the opposite are you going? with the range of tone going down emphasizing on the are as the highest tone and going as the lowest tone....

it signifies distain that your going or jealous envy that you get to go, surprised that your going...
or not approving of .....that..... your going,,,,

this is what inflection of voice or tone does in conversation

which is totally lost in TEXT messaging unless you point to it
as in...........said like donald duck... or JOE BIDEN

the smiley's help to denote tone as an iconic symbol of laughter or disapproval....

or you have to read it thrice
and be well adept at imagining
what's written between the lines
Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #51
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

in music a "tone" is what you hear. A note is what is written.
So if you hear someone say - play an F note. Thats technically wrong. You can play an F tone, the note is what you would write down.
Today's useless information provided to you by RIJimmy.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #52
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
in music a "tone" is what you hear. A note is what is written.
So if you hear someone say - play an F note. Thats technically wrong. You can play an F tone, the note is what you would write down.
Today's useless information provided to you by RIJimmy.
You're confusing "tone" with "pitch"...a "note" is the written form of "pitch".

If you play the same "note" on two different guitars they will have the same "pitch" assuming they're both in tune, but likely will sound different as the instruments produce their own "tone" based on the type and qualities of the individual instrument.

Someone so proficient at the guitar should know such things.

-spence
Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #53
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

You will no longer see RIJimmy on S-B.com
He is now a charter member of Fluke.com

As far as this thread...
I stopped reading after "Stay Classy San Diego"

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #54
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
You will no longer see RIJimmy on S-B.com
He is now a charter member of Fluke.com

As far as this thread...
I stopped reading after "Stay Classy San Diego"

I heard from a very reliable source this morning that Jimmy boated some barely legal fluke over the weekend. Now that you've converted him to a bottom fisherman, the stripers in the bay will be able to come out of hiding without fear of being caught by him.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #55
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

strange day when my 6yr old is telling fish stories about his old man.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #56
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You're confusing "tone" with "pitch"...a "note" is the written form of "pitch".

If you play the same "note" on two different guitars they will have the same "pitch" assuming they're both in tune, but likely will sound different as the instruments produce their own "tone" based on the type and qualities of the individual instrument.

Someone so proficient at the guitar should know such things.

-spence
tone and pitch and be used interchangebly

the distinct sounds when 2 guitars play the same tone is called timbre - tone quality
people frequently say "This guitar has a great tone" or " I love the tone when I play through Fender amps" Just because its commonly used doesnt make it right. Even though I say that all the time.

Music.
Tone - A sound of distinct pitch, quality, and duration;

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 07-20-2010 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #57
fishbones

Quote:
strange day when my 6yr old is telling fish stories about his old man.
Most kids exagerrate bigger when it comes to describing fish. I think your son underestimated the fluke. He said that it was delicious though and you are by far the best fisherman he knows besides himself.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #58
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Most kids exagerrate bigger when it comes to describing fish. I think your son underestimated the fluke. He said that it was delicious though and you are by far the best fisherman he knows besides himself.
he is bright boy and modest like his dad.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #59
spence

Quote:
tone and pitch and be used interchangebly

the distinct sounds when 2 guitars play the same tone is called timbre - tone quality
people frequently say "This guitar has a great tone" or " I love the tone when I play through Fender amps" Just because its commonly used doesnt make it right. Even though I say that all the time.

Music.
Tone - A sound of distinct pitch, quality, and duration;
Technically speaking they're not.

Timbre and tone can be swapped as they both describe sound quality, but pitch is about how the ear perceives the frequency.

-spence
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #60
fishbones

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS SITE?!?!

First a thread about a man losing his sex drive, and now this? An argument about tone v. pitch. You guys both need a timeout.

Jimmy - Get out on the boat and catch some fish.
Spence - Grab your pocketbook and go to the mall and buy yourself a nice pair of shoes.