Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Jenn

I really enjoyed this thread! Always wished I had such an ability but I don't we just had out kitchen remodel this year after 18 years of wishing! Its a modest small ranch and the kitchen wasn't just small and run down but dysfunctional even for its size. So happy with the new design (same size!) crazy how a better design and quality work can change everything! We are not carpenters so we saved money by doing what we could...ripping the old out and doing what we could ourselves. We were smart enough to hire carpenter to install cabinets and hire a tile guy....it certainly upped the budget but knew better than to attempt ourselves and screw it up! LOL! Have amazing respect for a good tradesman! Even more so now! Some things just are not worth trying to save a buck on and Im so glad we recognized that from the get go. I have friends that are better "do it your-selfers" but in the end wished they hadn't....

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I really enjoyed this thread! Always wished I had such an ability but I don't we just had out kitchen remodel this year after 18 years of wishing! Its a modest small ranch and the kitchen wasn't just small and run down but dysfunctional even for its size. So happy with the new design (same size!) crazy how a better design and quality work can change everything! We are not carpenters so we saved money by doing what we could...ripping the old out and doing what we could ourselves. We were smart enough to hire carpenter to install cabinets and hire a tile guy....it certainly upped the budget but knew better than to attempt ourselves and screw it up! LOL! Have amazing respect for a good tradesman! Even more so now! Some things just are not worth trying to save a buck on and Im so glad we recognized that from the get go. I have friends that are better "do it your-selfers" but in the end wished they hadn't....

Jenn....It's great that you finally got your new kitchen.....after 18 years! Small kitchen is not necessarily a bad thing.....could be a more efficient work triangle than a large spread out one....more counters just means more clutter and more to cleanup. Did you get all new appliances too? So whats next? Bathroom?

Once in a while we get a customer who wants to save a few bucks and do their own painting. I chuckle to myself...seen it many times....they way underestimate the amount of time and effort it will take......then settle for a job they would never accept if they paid someone.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Small kitchen is not necessarily a bad thing.....could be a more efficient work triangle than a large spread out one....
I used to be a hardcore home cook and definitely preferred a smaller kitchen where I didn’t have to move far to reach things. Also invested in work tables that could be multi function. A kitchen table that’s rock maple I could make pasta on or a side cart that has an electric burner in it. Hardly ever use it but when you need it it’s gold.

Quote:
Once in a while we get a customer who wants to save a few bucks and do their own painting. I chuckle to myself...seen it many times....they way underestimate the amount of time and effort it will take......then settle for a job they would never accept if they paid someone.
I’ve painted dozens of my own rooms and it’s just not worth it unless it’s a cheap starter house. I’ve got an awesome painter and they often spend more time prepping than painting, especially exterior. Always monitoring moisture levels and as clean as can be.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #4
Guppy
User

WTF, I cut it twice and it’s still short!
Click image for larger version

Name:	93B862E1-3769-4952-AAF3-BC748B6ACBC4.jpeg
Views:	1104
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	67639
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
WTF, I cut it twice and it’s still short!
Attachment 67639
Ray....it's worse than that...I could have gone around taking a bunch of pictures of the crap job they did.....gaps everywhere!!!(here's where improper use of a nail gun is to blame......nails go in but lumber is not driven together ....like with the last blow from a 22 oz hammer).....out of plumb studs....wall intersections hardly nailed.....headers sticking past the studs.....i could go on....horrible! Bottom line is they lack the intelligence and skill to understand the process.....and dont give a crap what I think anyway. I was framing houses "the right way" before any of these guys were born. But exposing them as butchers would not change a thing... whoever replaces them will be just as bad or worse.....seen it before. Boss doesnt want to hear it either......rant over
Old 01-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Hookedagain

Quote:
Ray....it's worse than that...I could have gone around taking a bunch of pictures of the crap job they did.....gaps everywhere!!!(here's where improper use of a nail gun is to blame......nails go in but lumber is not driven together ....like with the last blow from a 22 oz hammer).....out of plumb studs....wall intersections hardly nailed.....headers sticking past the studs.....i could go on....horrible! Bottom line is they lack the intelligence and skill to understand the process.....and dont give a crap what I think anyway. I was framing houses "the right way" before any of these guys were born. But exposing them as butchers would not change a thing... whoever replaces them will be just as bad or worse.....seen it before. Boss doesnt want to hear it either......rant over
Its just beer money for the week end...a job, thats all it it. They are not craftsmen at all.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
Guppy
User

How bout these..

Nailing off strapping by hand....
Miter cut wooden gutters with hand saw miter box....
Nailing the last few cap shingles after the suns gone down to finish the roof in the middle of February and you hit your thumb....
Staging plank snaps with u on it...
One of the monkeys removed a temp stay and a gust of wind blows the gable wall falls off the end of the frame........
Carrying 1 1/8” ply on a commercial job...
Your lunch left in the pickup didn’t thaw....
First day of deer season and no one shows for work.....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:30 PM   #8
Jenn

Quote:
Jenn....It's great that you finally got your new kitchen.....after 18 years! Small kitchen is not necessarily a bad thing.....could be a more efficient work triangle than a large spread out one....more counters just means more clutter and more to cleanup. Did you get all new appliances too? So whats next? Bathroom?

Oh you're funny "whats next"...whats next is paying off what we put on home equity to make it happen oh and the washer dryer combo is way overdue LOL! I almost feel like it's too fancy for the rest of the house now! HAHA! but I dont regret any of it...honestly it was our 20th anniversary present to each other! And I am no longer ashamed of what I called my dumpy kitchen! new range, hood and finally a dishwasher... kept fridge because it wasnt THAT old ... we had to got short a few years back to fit under old cabinets .. was not easy to find ...designer worked in space (removable panel)to fit common modern size when we need to upgrade which probably wont be long since every thing is made like crap these days...anyway everything new from tile up except fridge and we did not rip out plaster walls or ceiling (had skim coat put on ceiling though). I love the tile, under counter lighting, granite counter top, etc. I don't mind small kitchen itself but seating is limited to basically 4...not great especially with no separate dining room but as far as kitchen goes I love that I now have dishwasher, 3 times the counter space and ten times the cabinet space I used to have. Did not expand kitchen size at all but the space where the stove is now was bare wasted wall. To the right of fridge was the stove and as you can imagine counter and cabinet space was VERY minimal. Wish I had a good pic of crown molding it came out flawless especially for a 60 year old house! I feared it would be too much in such a small space but it wasn't , all in all the small is so much more functional (and beautiful) seating area stayed the same but over all we made better use of wasted space for higher function! I am too ashamed to show the before pics....but trust me the transformation was huge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen 1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	67675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen 2.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	67676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen 3.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	67677  

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:02 AM   #9
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Oh you're funny "whats next"...whats next is paying off what we put on home equity to make it happen oh and the washer dryer combo is way overdue LOL! I almost feel like it's too fancy for the rest of the house now! HAHA! but I dont regret any of it...honestly it was our 20th anniversary present to each other! And I am no longer ashamed of what I called my dumpy kitchen! new range, hood and finally a dishwasher... kept fridge because it wasnt THAT old ... we had to got short a few years back to fit under old cabinets .. was not easy to find ...designer worked in space (removable panel)to fit common modern size when we need to upgrade which probably wont be long since every thing is made like crap these days...anyway everything new from tile up except fridge and we did not rip out plaster walls or ceiling (had skim coat put on ceiling though). I love the tile, under counter lighting, granite counter top, etc. I don't mind small kitchen itself but seating is limited to basically 4...not great especially with no separate dining room but as far as kitchen goes I love that I now have dishwasher, 3 times the counter space and ten times the cabinet space I used to have. Did not expand kitchen size at all but the space where the stove is now was bare wasted wall. To the right of fridge was the stove and as you can imagine counter and cabinet space was VERY minimal. Wish I had a good pic of crown molding it came out flawless especially for a 60 year old house! I feared it would be too much in such a small space but it wasn't , all in all the small is so much more functional (and beautiful) seating area stayed the same but over all we made better use of wasted space for higher function! I am too ashamed to show the before pics....but trust me the transformation was huge!

Kitchen looks great Jenn! I admire your patience and attitude.

The proverb “all things come to those who wait” comes to mind.... if person is persistent and patient, they will finally achieve their goal.