Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 01-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
Jim in CT

would you kayak fish in winter for holdovers in river

i have never fished from a kayak, but did a charter trip this weekend for winter holdover schoolies in a CT river. saw two guys in kayaks.

is that safe at this time of year? water temp was 35 degrees, river is only about 200 yards wide, very calm, almost no boat traffic at that time.

i could see buying a kayak specifically for that fishery, as the fish tend to be concentrated in a small stretch of the river, literally a couple of hundred yards from an easy launch site, so not a long pedal or paddle.

What do you think?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
PaulS

Many many people kayak there. And there are many spots to fish there
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

have you ever used a kayak? If the answer is no, then you should consider taking lessons on how to handle one. If it is a sit in then you need to know how to do the Eskimo Roll. It is not trivial and with 35 degree water you will need a wetsuit at a minimum.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Unless it’s a very narrow river not without a dry suit, that temperature water will incapacitate you in minutes, even if your a good swimmer.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
hq2

Fell in 32 degree water a couple of years ago up to my neck; don't recommend it. Remember, even if you get out before you get hypothermia someone still has to get you in when you're cold and wet
(could be an expensive call to 911; cost me more than 2K for the rescue, and was lucky my wet phone didn't go out). Should have a wet suit at the minimum, and if you're not familiar with it, may not want to go at all.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

A pretty basic tin boat, trailer and motor used won’t cost much more than a good kayak today
Craigslist or Facebook marketplace
And you can take the kids
You still have to be careful
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
puppet

Kayak choice and experience factor into safety. Even with experience and the best equipment the river can be a dangerous place to kayak. To me it would not be worth the risk to catch a few schoolies. I have never kayaked in water that cold, but i really doubt it is comfortable no matter the equipment. The few times i hooked into fish that were over 20# the fish took me for a ride, luckily the biggest fish pointed out to sea and not into the surf zone. In a river, i suspect an unexperience kayak angler could get into trouble.
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i have never fished from a kayak, but did a charter trip this weekend for winter holdover schoolies in a CT river. saw two guys in kayaks.

is that safe at this time of year? water temp was 35 degrees, river is only about 200 yards wide, very calm, almost no boat traffic at that time.

i could see buying a kayak specifically for that fishery, as the fish tend to be concentrated in a small stretch of the river, literally a couple of hundred yards from an easy launch site, so not a long pedal or paddle.

What do you think?
They were fishing?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

No.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:28 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
have you ever used a kayak? If the answer is no, then you should consider taking lessons on how to handle one. If it is a sit in then you need to know how to do the Eskimo Roll. It is not trivial and with 35 degree water you will need a wetsuit at a minimum.
I’ve only been kayaking a few times in the white mountains, in rivers, never fishing. would definitely practice a lot first. i’d probably get a sit on top Hobie. and i’d consider getting stabilizing outriggers and/or. dry suit.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
They were fishing?
yes, and doing very well. one of them looked like he had a trolling motor with spot lock, as the current was t moving him, he was vertical
jigging and doing well. another guy was trolling small umbrella rigs. looked like a ton of fun, on a clear day if it’s safe.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:59 PM   #12
zimmy

Quote:
They were fishing?
It is often the land of idiots. I have seen guys in kayaks with no wetsuit and no life jacket in February with ice floats in the river. All that risk to catch cold-sedated 14" bass.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:14 PM   #13
EliTheBeerGuy

As a guy that kayak fishes pretty much all year round, yes, it is possible to do it safely. There are lots of knuckleheads out on the water at all times of year, and in all kinds of kayaks and boats alike.

Personally, I've got a full drysuit, VHF radio, life jacket, and a PLB attached to my life jacket. We had some nice weather back in October and November and I saw guys in jeans and hoodies giving the rest of us a bad name. I'm wearing my drysuit generally mid-September thru late May. But I'll even wear it occasionally during the warmer months if the night time temps are going to be a little low, or on the rare occasion I'm out by myself.

Point being, yes it is possible to do it safely. I feel far more safe in my kayak with all my gear than I would in some of the little tin boats I see on the Sound. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the weather isn't uncomfortably cold, I'll fish if I have the chance (and the reason). Holdover winter stripers don't do it for me anymore, I'd honestly rather catch calicos, perch, and catfish as long as the spots aren't frozen over.

- EliTheBeerGuy
aka Elliot
Elliot@247Lures.com
EliTheBeerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliTheBeerGuy View Post
Holdover winter stripers don't do it for me anymore,
From someone who used to fish there 2-3 nights per week all winter, I feel the same way. Now people just hammer the fish, come from all over (NY, Ma, RI) and consider themselves a hero to say they caught 25 a night. It used to be more a social thing where you stop and talk as much as fish but not anymore.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #15
puppet

I agree with this especially in this fishery in decline. Sort of fine to cure the fishing itch, but I would rather fish in a managed fishery like for trout where this time of year as I often do not have to share the water with anyone. Winter is better served to catch up on home projects, tie flies, carve plugs, go skiing.

Bill Wetzel stated that striped bass were meant to take from the surf. I agree, and a bass of the same size taken in whitewater will fight ten times harder than any striper i have hooked in the river. Fishing the river can be fun but it is a placeholder for the real thing. Pretty easy to skip it and definitely not worth risking ones neck over.
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:19 PM   #16
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Now people just hammer the fish, come from all over (NY, Ma, RI) and consider themselves a hero to say they caught 25 a night. It used to be more a social thing where you stop and talk as much as fish but not anymore.
So what you're basically saying is that it's the Cape Cod canal but in the winter?

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
spence

Jim, I'd pick up a used kayak this spring and see if it's something you really want to do. I've only tried fishing from a kayak a few times but it's not always as glamourous as it seems like it should be. Most of the guys I see who are yakkers really get into it and have a lot of time on the water as well. I'd want at least a season under my belt before I invested in winter gear.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #18
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Jim, I'd pick up a used kayak this spring and see if it's something you really want to do. I've only tried fishing from a kayak a few times but it's not always as glamourous as it seems like it should be. Most of the guys I see who are yakkers really get into it and have a lot of time on the water as well. I'd want at least a season under my belt before I invested in winter gear.
What the hell happened to the 2 Pungos I sold you?

Old 01-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
What the hell happened to the 2 Pungos I sold you?
I still have one, the other was taken by you know who.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #20
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
I still have one, the other was taken by you know who.
Glad you have one. We really enjoyed them but we just got too old.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:56 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
very very smart advice.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #22
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
So what you're basically saying is that it's the Cape Cod canal but in the winter?
And the the fish are 12" and frozen

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #23
fishgolf

Smile

TLapinski, best line of the weekend
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #24
Clammer

not at this age <><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!