Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
5/0
Eels

Olympus camera

There's been alot of talk about water proof cameras,olympus Stylus tough has been around for a while. I had the 8K but it is no longer with me.....The ocean had it's way with it
I had it for just about three years and before I parted with it,I was starting to dislike the pic quality,firework mode sucked(prolly just me) sport shot seemed blurry and over all pic's seemed so so.but I will confess that Macro mode was very impressive.
So my question is has anybody jumped in and bought the latest and greatest TG-1 iHS?
As always it looks like they've made some serious improvements with there design but how's the over all quality?

I was thinking about pulling the trigger and getting it but wanted to hear what you guy's found with it,Pro's & con's let's hear it!

Thank's in advance!

5/0

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

They look sweet, every year I think Of going to something different but love my fuji.

3 years old, spends all is time in the bag or on the shoulder strap, almost always wet, gets used every time im out. Barely rinsed, great battery life and small size.

Really happy with it, so can't jusify getting something else.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Sea Dangles

x2 with fuji. Always on sale at costco Bob.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
fishbones

Bob, my mom just bought the latest Olympus stylus tough and really likes it. I took some photos with it on vacation and they are much better quality than my older model. It also has better shutter speed and takes really good video. I would buy the new one, but can't justify the $370 price tag right now since my 3 year old model still works fine.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
iamskippy

I have the fuji as well
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Jenn

I bought an Olympus tough because I needed the "waterproof, freezeproof and shockproof" well the it still takes pictures in 30 below and the battery doesnt die as quickly as others so I would give it a good score in this category and so far I have not dunked it but it has withstood a considerable amount of moisture.

Now for the shockproof.....not so much. After a rough snowmobile trip it did not fair so well. The shutter "tweaks out" when taking some photos and forget about videos now

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I bought an Olympus tough because I needed the "waterproof, freezeproof and shockproof" well the it still takes pictures in 30 below and the battery doesnt die as quickly as others so I would give it a good score in this category and so far I have not dunked it but it has withstood a considerable amount of moisture.

Now for the shockproof.....not so much. After a rough snowmobile trip it did not fair so well. The shutter "tweaks out" when taking some photos and forget about videos now
My old one takes nice photos and video unders water. And it's been dropped a few times (twice on a concrete patio by my son) and it still works great. It just looks a little beat up now.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
JackK
Not Jack

My stylus 8k has been through the gamut of full continuous submersion, freezing temps, banged on rocks, etc etc, and still works without a hitch.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Bob, my mom just bought the latest Olympus stylus tough and really likes it. I took some photos with it on vacation and they are much better quality than my older model. It also has better shutter speed and takes really good video. I would buy the new one, but can't justify the $370 price tag right now since my 3 year old model still works fine.
John,I was reading the "non bios" review's and it was rated #1 on the editors choice for PC Mag the down fault's was,it lagged with the 610 led screen clarity and some other minor thing but that was pretty much it for a point and shoot durable camera.
This is the whole reason as to why I posted this thread,I know most of the guy's and gal's here and figured I would get truthful comments VS some Chump who get's massive kick back's to promo someone's product's...
As for the price yeah,it's pretty high.But the thing is I have $400 in Be_t Buy card's free from work,so this won't cost me one red cent
I would still like to make an educated purchase even if it's free.

Thank's FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post

Jen I hear yea! mine took a few rocky trips and it seemed that it took's it toll on it.When I need to select a mode I had to off set the selection in order for it to work in that mode...If that make's any sense

Video mode was completely compromised and was inconsistent with audio and PIC quality.........

I guess this whole mis-hap with my camera was a blessing in disguise.........

Last edited by 5/0; 08-07-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
My Stylus SW finally died. I'll be getting a new Tough.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
My Stylus SW finally died. I'll be getting a new Tough.
Glad too hear it,which one?

BTW F B not to be pretentious but the $400 is from work...Yea a blue collah workah finally get's some well deserved perks

Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post

BTW F B not to be pretentious but the $400 is from work...Yea a blue collah workah finally get's some well deserved perks
I saw it for $369 on the Olympus web site a few weeks ago. If it'd still on sale there, see if best buy will do a price match.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post

TG-820 most likely

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I saw it for $369 on the Olympus web site a few weeks ago. If it'd still on sale there, see if best buy will do a price match.
Yup that's the lowest price that I've seen I'm going to pick it up on Tax free Saturday,Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
TG-820 most likely
That's the one most people here have and had good success with,if you go with the newer 8K take a deeper look into it before you pull the trigger,like I stated earlier near the end it was losing it's luster

Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
5/0
Eels

All right tomorrow is the day I pull the trigger,is there anybody eles that has an indifference on this camera,pro's/cons?

I know that I'm not Mike Lap and the PIC's that I take aren't for mag's but and the price is a decent amount of coin for this I was hoping for a honest review on this.....

Buler....Buler.....Buler?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
the point

You'll enjoy the camera.
the point is offline   Reply With Quote