Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Tues 30th South MV Charter

Looking for a 4th to go on Riptide Charters (Terry Nugent) trip for mahi, yellowfin, whatever. Joe Higgins of Fished Impressions is also on board and will print your fish upon return to the dock. I will have 2 GoPros to capture the day's action and give everyone a DVD.

This is plastered on FB but really would like to find a 4th!

Tuesday, July 30th, likely $400

Likely to fill FAST and first come, first going fish!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Trip full. Hope to post pics and video on Wed.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
niko

nice buzzy, tues/wed are looking good. going to try and get back out there too. this #^&#^&#^&#^& is like crack

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
fish4striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
nice buzzy, tues/wed are looking good. going to try and get back out there too. this #^&#^&#^&#^& is like crack
Let's do it!
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
chefseany

Hey Paul!!!! I would love a Tuna Tutorial early this fall when I quiet down at work, early September. I will fly on my new ride!!! Let me know.
chefseany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
niko

Sure thing sean
Old 07-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Typhoon

Heading south on Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Heading to the dump along with 60 other boats.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
MakoMike

There is a big school of bluefins off the eastern LI shore right now, if things go "normally" they should be in the dump next week.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
Mr. Sandman

I know there are some fish out there but fishing has not gangbusters so don't get too jacked. A few mahi, small yf and albacore have been caught but nothing nuts. Action has not been what most would call hot. Several boats have come back with a lone fish for their efforts. I know of one that fished the breaks to the east (tylers)and got nothing and saw nothing...all day. I think some of the reports are slightly sugar coated. But it is probably worth the run if you want to do something different . It is always fun to go offshore when you have a nice day for it.

I also heard of 1st hand reports of YF within 10 miles of montauk... and fish at the mudhole , that was before the blow.

All that said, there have been years past when they were 5 miles s of nomans and I have even heard of them being caught just past the hooter but that was some time ago. It could happen again...(that would be a hoot)

The ocean is warmer than usual, august could be an exceptional year for the coastal offshore fisherman...lets hope it is starting.

I look forward to buzz's report with great eagerness. I will be fueling up today just in case.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Typhoon

We left Duxbury yesterday at 2:30am and trailered my buddys 25 Parker to Falmouth. The thunderstorms that were not forecasted had us questioning a long run offshore. As we pulled down the ramp, Mulberry Canyon got to the end of the harbor and turned around because of the lightning. When Johns turning around we're all scratching our heads. As soon as we got the boat off the trailer at the launch ramp next we discovered two dead batteries. Had to use a jump pack to get the boat started. That was strike 2. Most normal people would have called it a day right here. Not us.

So we blasted down Vineyard sound at 5am, made the turn at Noman’s land and headed South 40 miles in pea soup fog. We arrived at about 7 am to the dump. Water temps were 74. We had heard that there were fish on the cold side. Immediately we had a white marlin take a smash of our ballyhoo. He dumped line but missed the hook up. We got our bait back slashed by the bill. Followed by another 4 hrs of mindless trolling with not even a sniff. We decided to go radio fishing. We heard the Pt Judith boats on the radio on the SW corner of the dump. The hardest part was finding them in the fog. We eventually found them and as soon as we had our baits in the water we doubled up. First came a big mahi over the rail and then something dumped our 50. About 45 seconds into the run the tuna popped off. We think big yellowfin. The next 4 hrs was spent watching boats all around us doubled and tripled up with albacore and yellowfin tuna.It was maddening. The lures they were using were a red and black hex head. Of course we didn’t have one on the boat. Duck Soup went 6 for 7 in one wolfpack.

At about 2 pm, we had changed our spread multiple times with different bars and daisy chains with no luck. We were bobbing around in 8 ft rollers and were the smallest boat out there. Most of the 60 ft sportfishermen were heading back to the barn so we decided we didn’t want to be the last one left and headed home. It was tough leaving fish when you weren’t successful. We had 4 guys that know how to fish on board and we couldn’t get it done…this time.

It's good. Real good.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
I look forward to buzz's report with great eagerness. I will be fueling up today just in case.
Nice weather window Tues/Wed, sounds like you shouldn't wait for my report on Wed about Tues's fishing: PLAN TO GO, gas up and load the boat today! Go out and get some of the hex R/B's!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Mr. Sandman

plans set now. Heading to the edge leaving tue evening be back wed night.
What is a hex R/B?

do you mean hex head trolling lures in red/black?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
plans set now. Heading to the edge leaving tue evening be back wed night.
What is a hex R/B?

do you mean hex head trolling lures in red/black?
yes

Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Here's today's catch, only hoping tomorrow's as good or better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riptide 7.29.2013.jpg (131.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg riptide mako 7.29.2013.jpg (262.1 KB, 57 views)

Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Good luck out there!! Take lots of pictures!!
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Mr. Sandman

Was just down on the boat...beautiful day for heading offshore. Buzz should be good and bloody by now.

Leaving for Hydro tonight, hope to be there at daybreak , boat loaded to gills already and we have not left dock. will report back after I recover. (I find it really hard to sleep before a trip, I may as well be fishing)
Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
niko

I think buzzy had a good day

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
Old 07-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
big jay

Snug harbor sells those hex heads.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

White marlin, 2 mahi and a skip jack! I was #5 on the reel so watched and filmed everyone else reeling in a fish. I kept waiting for a tuna wolf pack which never came.

Here's link the the marlin fight:

Last edited by PRBuzz; 08-01-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
White marlin, 2 mahi and a skip jack! I was #5 on the reel so watch and filmed everyone else reeling in a fish. I kept waiting for a tuna wolf pack which never came.
Soon...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

I am still 0-5 trying to get a yellowfin into the boat!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
Mr. Sandman

a pile of longfin about 30# and a pick at yellow fin about 50# . We used the roffs service to outline a break east of hydro near that next smaller unnamed canyon...there were 3 other boats that I saw out there working the same break. One hooked up to a big blue marlin that put on an acrobatic show one hooked a big thresher by the tail as it tail slashed his trolling lure and landed it, and one of the other boats landed a "slob of a bigeye". This fellow was jacked and was having his best rip of the season and was hoping for a nighttime sword to top it off. The day started good. There at first light, after 30 mins of nothing one fellow mention he just got covered up with 5 fish on...he was a few miles away so we picked up and ran to the area, lines in, doubled up while letting out the 4th line. It was the wake up call i like to hear.
This one one of those trips where I did not see much. A little disappointed , very little weed, no birds no bait no surface action exception for the occasional pod of dolphin swimming by.
Time to rest up for the next trip.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #23
Sea Dangles

Nice, we ran south yesterday to the dump and then went west to the horns to find warmer water,there was none....Warmer water was east,wish I knew. I need a sea surface temp site.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
Mr. Sandman

the free one is rutgers, google rutgers sea temp. There are a number of pay or subscriptions sites. I have no idea which is the better site. The roff site we used for 70 bucks/pop can suggest spots to fish based on how many days temp breaks have been there. They also allow for a one time "subscription" and while that might sound pricey...considering we burned 520 gallons of 91 octane gasoline, it is dirt cheap if it puts you on fish. You can call and chat with the person who wrote the report and ask a lot of questions if you like.
I know of several subscription sites but have not joined any of them yet. I normally use the free site but probably will join one of the pay sites this year.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #25
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

I added the link to the white marlin fight if anyone is interested. see previous post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB301306.jpg (356.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PB301314.jpg (414.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by PRBuzz; 08-03-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
I am still 0-5 trying to get a yellowfin into the boat!
We should hook up...YF I can catch, but marlin seem to avoid me...but I keep trying !
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #27
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
We should hook up...YF I can catch, but marlin seem to avoid me...but I keep trying !
I am available 24/7!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #28
MakoMike

FWIW, I used oceantemp for year and liked their service. IMHO Rutgers is garbage.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 08-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
Mr. Sandman

I had been looking at oceantemp and it seems decent and the price is reasonable. I think I may pull the trigger. Rutgers is free, so for nothing it is OK but there is a big difference between the pay sites and the free one. I have never subscribed to an SST service but everyone I have fished with does so I kind of mooch on their intel but I think it is time I subscribe.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
MakoMike

The big problem IMHO with Rutgers is that the scales is way too big, makes it almost impossible to find the temperature break. I've used Oceantemp for the last five years or so and before that offshore services.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor