Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Tog Talk

Since getting into this game years back I’ve tried a number of traditional tog rigs and was never satisfied and about three or four years back I settled on my own method and since the change my hook up rate easily doubled.

Pretty simple 30lb power pro, 130lb spro swivel, 40lb seagar, to 6 gamakatsu octopus hook. Off the eye once the hook is tied in, I tie on a short length of 30lb mono and form a loop tight to the hook, usually within an inch.

Used Shimano Trevala 7ft spinning rod rated for 20-50lb braid and 55-135g weight and that rod is the balls, has power but even the small tog or sea bass are fun on it.

The weight swinging close to the hook easy to grab also eliminated the need for a net with all but those double digit slobs you don’t want to risk losing.

Today was killer, easy quick limit of big tog early and then just some fun fishing until we headed in before noon. I grabbed the deepest baking dish we own to bring the filets in from the outside table, but not quite deep enough, vacuumed sealed six bags and will eat the last filet tonight. Panko dusted with chef pauls blackened red fish magic, roll in butter cover with panko, side burner with skillet with hot, hot oil........yum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9530.jpeg (84.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1619.jpg (84.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Got Stripers; 10-25-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Been beached for several weeks now, it was great getting out there today with Niko,,,, awesome weather and fishies
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
RickBomba

I wish I could have gone out there today with you guys. Looked like amazing fish.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBomba View Post
I wish I could have gone out there today with you guys. Looked like amazing fish.
I was thinking of ya bud....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
PaulS

I went out with the yak yesterday for the first time blackfishing. We used Asian crabs. I ended up with only one keeper and lots of shorts. I probably was in 8 feet of water and used a 1/2 ounce jig.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:51 AM   #6
scottw

togging is odd....I enjoy it tremendously but I swear more often than I do fishing for any other species....and as everything else is slowing down it's great to be able to drop a crab and get tight, still finding some nice sea bass too....my buddy got his best tog the other day a little over 10lbs and we limited out pretty quick in 15 feet of water or less...I like the jigs for versatility and simplicity especially fishing in changing current....

this is pretty cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2816.jpg (147.9 KB, 14 views)
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Higgie

Did my first ever tog mission while on cutty a few weeks back. Turns out it’s a great tog spot from shore. Turn over a few rocks grab some crabs and toss out and hang on. Seemed like everyone and there brother were chasing tog out of Westport this am. Never seen so many boats
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Booked charter with paul deep thinker saturday and had a wicked fun time 😂 buddy was up for the weekend from nj. Ive never heard soo much smack talk 😂
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote