Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
DZ

Hammer Toe Surgery

Wasn't sure which board to place this question so here goes.
My wife will be having surgery for a hammer toe / bunion that is affecting her walking. Has anyone here had that surgery? Tell me what to expect? All I know at this point is that it's generally a 6 week recovery period.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
Jenn

Have not had it myself but literally feeling her pain a coworker had it done a few years ago and 6 weeks with crutches was her recovery. Also know an another acquaintance and aunt that had it done. Six weeks recovery is about what they both had. Coworker was on crutches that time but got around ok...just on crutches... so no major activity and somewhat limited but overall,ok. All of these people stated the "down time" sicked but neither regret it and say it was worth having it done and all wished they had done earlier....which makes me feel sort of like a fool in pain Not sure if this helped and I'm a bit envious as I'm too chicken to have it done. With that said everytime it causes me pain I cringe for not only myself but my mother 30 years older and never had it done (if you could see her barely walk you would understand).... have her do it, get through the 6 weeks of suck and then carry on with life without the pain!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Have not had it myself but literally feeling her pain a coworker had it done a few years ago and 6 weeks with crutches was her recovery. Also know an another acquaintance and aunt that had it done. Six weeks recovery is about what they both had. Coworker was on crutches that time but got around ok...just on crutches... so no major activity and somewhat limited but overall,ok. All of these people stated the "down time" sicked but neither regret it and say it was worth having it done and all wished they had done earlier....which makes me feel sort of like a fool in pain Not sure if this helped and I'm a bit envious as I'm too chicken to have it done. With that said everytime it causes me pain I cringe for not only myself but my mother 30 years older and never had it done (if you could see her barely walk you would understand).... have her do it, get through the 6 weeks of suck and then carry on with life without the pain!
Thank you Jenn - I keep mentioning to my wife it's about her future quality of life we both love to hike and walk. She is a Nurse Mid-Wife so she is on her feet all day. She's going to get it done in early February.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
FishermanTim

Can't speak from experience, but when you consider the six week average recovery time to how long they have been suffering from the condition, it doesn't add up.
I had knee surgery a few years back for a torn meniscus (cartilage) in my knee, and what would have been physically excruciating before is a joy now (walking/hiking).

Most people put off this things because of fear, but once they have it done they realize the fear is usually built up in their own minds.

Hope all goes well when the time comes!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
Clammer

mE JUST BEING STUPID ..........gotta make sure the shoes are the right fit ...etc, etc ...can,t play Hockey anymore ..tried a couple of weeks ago , Xl skate killed & the other foot dragged ...scared no .its the down time & the meds & the strong possibly of surgery on one or two knees .
I just keep tripping, stumbling , falling , want someone around to help me up ><> the Golden Years ...well just get pissed on / that what,s the golden years are at this age ........... try 17 to 22 yo fu cking everything & anything

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
mE JUST BEING STUPID ..........gotta make sure the shoes are the right fit ...etc, etc ...can,t play Hockey anymore ..tried a couple of weeks ago , Xl skate killed & the other foot dragged ...scared no .its the down time & the meds & the strong possibly of surgery on one or two knees .
I just keep tripping, stumbling , falling , want someone around to help me up ><> the Golden Years ...well just get pissed on / that what,s the golden years are at this age ........... try 17 to 22 yo fu cking everything & anything
Thanks everyone - no one answers a question like Clammer Hang in their buddy.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster

Bi + Ne = SB 2

Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Clammer

ADDDDDDD today to the fuster cluk .......... went digging today wind & cold was a new experience for me ............ the two of us nitwits ,got totally smashed by the wind ..we couldn,t even make it up a little grassy hill ................D U M B ........................got just enough for a tease to eat / good thing I don,t eat them ><><
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4674.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	64744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4668.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	64745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4676.JPG
Views:	114