Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Movies, Classics to Less than Normal

Movies, Classics to Less than Normal By request - Grab your Popcorn. New Movie forum (for those that have given up fishing this year). (No P 0rn)

Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

A Clockwork Orange

Me and my son watched it last night....god I love that movie....gotta be Kubrick's best....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
basswipe

2001 was pretty damn good too!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Nothing beats Orange!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
luds
Night Stalker

I actually like Eyes Wide Shut too but those to movies were great. How about a little of the ultra violence.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Joe

Yes...a bit of the "ultra-violence" always brightens my spirits.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Nebe

naked lunch makes for a good double feature.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I have to watch it again, only saw it once years ago. I actually rented Full metal Jacket last week and watched it for the first time

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Great movie Kev ,, have seen it many times over the years .. That movie gave me an appreciation for classical music .. Bethovens 9th was featured .. Later learned he was loosing his hearing and was totally deaf , never actually hearing his 9th .. Welly welly well my little droooges ... the old,, in out .. What goes around comes around classic .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

I have to say, I have never understood why so many people like that movie so much. I was all excited to see something groundbreaking and disturbing and found it to be a dud. It's just excessive violence with weak symbolism. That's what I took from it anyway.

Full Metal Jacket was worlds better

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
I have to say, I have never understood why so many people like that movie so much. I was all excited to see something groundbreaking and disturbing and found it to be a dud. It's just excessive violence with weak symbolism. That's what I took from it anyway.

Full Metal Jacket was worlds better

It was edgy in 1971 ,, things have changed ,, no shock value .. I mean, dancing now is humping someones butt .. While she backs up into it .. yea ,, whats a movie with a little rape and violence .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

When did you see it? I'm guessing you weren't even born when it was released in 1971 .

When it was released, graphic violence was not part of main-stream cinema. People hadn't seen the Godfather yet, the Exorcist, or anything that was that far out there like a Clockwork Orange. and compared to todays standards for violence in movies....it is pretty tame.....but coming just a year or 2 removed from the Summer of Love.......it blew some minds. It was actually banned in England when it was released.

Once something is Ground-breaking.......it starts to lose that status as time goes by.

Did you read the book? Kubrick did a great job capturing the book on film. The only thing that didn't translate well to the screen was their age....in the book they were all 14.

1st half of Full Metal Jacket is awesome....second half, not so much

Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Raven

pre set your radio

to one station that plays only classical music
because it deflates the urge to give in to
road rage in a big hurry where as any other type
of hard rock and roll or heavy metal only
increases your thirst for revenge.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
mosholu
Mosholu

Clockwork Orange was banned in the UK after fears that it would incite hooligans to violence. Kubrick then decided he would not allow the film to be shown in the UK. There was a big deal right about the time he died in 1999 about showing the film commercially and whether his estate could still block the film. I believe it eventually was shown on UK cable. I did not understand Eyes Wide Shut as it kind of went over my head. The first part of Full Metal Jacket was great I thought once they got to Vietnam (or south London where it was filmed) it ran out of steam. My favorite is Dr. Strangelove which I think was funny and terrifying at the same time.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Joe

I'm heading down to the Corona Milk Bar.....Have some Milk-Plus.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
Canalman

I felt like the rape and violence were unnecessary, maybe even forced. Please know that I am not trying to debate anything with what I have said. Kevin, you are right about my not being born, my dad was a sophmore in high school in 1971!

Maybe I missed the point of the film, but I'm not really into rape

But what I really think happened was that there is so much hype surrounding this movie that it kind of got "Blair witched." I'm not sure half of the people that say "Dude, you have to see Clockwork Organge" could even give you a reason why!

Ed, to answer your question I saw it on my home television in 1995, I was 15 and smoking a lot of weed!

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
Canalman

Maybe I should ask you guys, why does this movie get so many points with the cult crowd? What did you see in it?

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
Canalman

For me, Full Metal Jacket really punched me in the gut. I have some family friends and an uncle who were in Vietnam and they are forever disturbed because of what they went through (and understandably so). It was one of the only movies that I felt like really gave you that sick feeling that war must give a person--and before any veterans jump on my ass about saying that--I will never pretend to understand what you must have gone through! I felt sad and sick for days after seeing that flick and I think that was the point.

-Dave

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe I should ask you guys, why does this movie get so many points with the cult crowd? What did you see in it?
some of the things I liked about it was how society as a whole was becoming degenerative. Sex permeated everything, from the decorations around the home, to the Karova Milk bar. and people were becoming de-sensitized by it all.

These were 14 year old kids stealing, raping women, beating innocent people. and they were Society's problem....not the parents. (Hmmm...Sound Familiar to what's happening today). The parents couldn't be bothered. Just put them in the system and let them fall where they may.

I though the violence was necessary for this movie.....because it was a complete cycle of violence and people needed to understand that. This wasn't West Side story, where the gangs danced around the streets and nobody got hurt....this was supposed to disgust you when saw it.

The Kids were Ultraviolent....until the murder, then he is incarcerated and what is the cure....a therapy in itself that embraced violence. Not Physical, but mental.....as well as medicinally brought about. Now when he is put in a situation that would usually escalate to violence.....he feels "Deathlike".......pretty violent in a non-violent way.

So he gets out and is immediatly, violently set upon by all the violence that he perpetrated in the past. His main cohorts in crime....who themselves were just as guilty as him are now The Authorities....Society now puts the criminals in charge of keeping the criminals in order.

and what cures him again in the end....more violence as the writer tries to make your humble narrator "Snuff It" and he tries to kill himself....which he survives and is now Cured.....which means what.....He is now free to commit more violence.

all this while the government tries to cover it up in time for the next elections.....because its not about whats right or wrong....its about the popular vote

I thought Malcom McDowell was brilliant as Alex.....that scene where the minister is feeding him at the end and he has that "I got you by the balls" look on his face is priceless.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

here's a bit of trivia too

In the movie, the old writers Body Guard ends up playing a future Movie Villain.....does anybody know who he played?

Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I have to watch it again, only saw it once years ago. I actually rented Full metal Jacket last week and watched it for the first time
five dollah!!
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
For me, Full Metal Jacket really punched me in the gut. I have some family friends and an uncle who were in Vietnam and they are forever disturbed because of what they went through (and understandably so). It was one of the only movies that I felt like really gave you that sick feeling that war must give a person--and before any veterans jump on my ass about saying that--I will never pretend to understand what you must have gone through! I felt sad and sick for days after seeing that flick and I think that was the point.

-Dave
Hamburger Hill, Platoon and some parts of Apocalypse Now. Friggin place was sick
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #22
Joe

I think the movie was a commentary on how prevalent violence was destined to become. The rapes were there for shock value - to desensitize the audience. It works: through the use of gratuitous violence, we become more accepting of violence. We learn that with certain triggers we are just as capable of similar violence. When he is put into the system and brainwashed, we sympathize and begin to view Alex as a perverse hero, (Tony Soprano?) someone who remains true to their identity and unbroken by the system.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #23
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
here's a bit of trivia too

In the movie, the old writers Body Guard ends up playing a future Movie Villain.....does anybody know who he played?
That would be Darth Vader.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Yep....

Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #25
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
some of the things I liked about it was how society as a whole was becoming degenerative. Sex permeated everything, from the decorations around the home, to the Karova Milk bar. and people were becoming de-sensitized by it all.

These were 14 year old kids stealing, raping women, beating innocent people. and they were Society's problem....not the parents. (Hmmm...Sound Familiar to what's happening today). The parents couldn't be bothered. Just put them in the system and let them fall where they may.

I though the violence was necessary for this movie.....because it was a complete cycle of violence and people needed to understand that. This wasn't West Side story, where the gangs danced around the streets and nobody got hurt....this was supposed to disgust you when saw it.

The Kids were Ultraviolent....until the murder, then he is incarcerated and what is the cure....a therapy in itself that embraced violence. Not Physical, but mental.....as well as medicinally brought about. Now when he is put in a situation that would usually escalate to violence.....he feels "Deathlike".......pretty violent in a non-violent way.

So he gets out and is immediatly, violently set upon by all the violence that he perpetrated in the past. His main cohorts in crime....who themselves were just as guilty as him are now The Authorities....Society now puts the criminals in charge of keeping the criminals in order.

and what cures him again in the end....more violence as the writer tries to make your humble narrator "Snuff It" and he tries to kill himself....which he survives and is now Cured.....which means what.....He is now free to commit more violence.

all this while the government tries to cover it up in time for the next elections.....because its not about whats right or wrong....its about the popular vote

I thought Malcom McDowell was brilliant as Alex.....that scene where the minister is feeding him at the end and he has that "I got you by the balls" look on his face is priceless.
Alright, I see where you are coming from. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I'm glad you read my post how I meant it to be read. I thought about it last night and was worried that I had come across like I was challenging someone, but I genuinly wanted to know. Thanks Kev!

Official S-B Sponsor