Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
FishnGrega

Tog fishing question

I've been having a very stressful and unsucessful time going tog fishing from shore. I use a Hi/Lo rig with blackfish hooks and 3oz bank sinker. Green crabs for bait. but My question is do you normally cut off the legs, and cut the crab in half? How deep of water should i fish during this time of year? Does tide matter high or low? Tog fishing is much more difficult then striper fishing, i would have believed to be saying that. Any bit of info would help. A lot of tips from the internet is all about fishing for them from a boat. I don't have a boat nor know anyone with one.
FishnGrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

Hi - Lo rigs are o.k from a boat when pulling them straight up. I use a single when shore fishing, to me the extra hook is just another snag but thats just a matter of preference. If the green crabs are big then I cut them in half and leave the legs and claw/s on. If they are on the smaller side then hook them near the back of the shell and take your sinker and crack the shell slightly to get the juices flowing. My bait of choice are the smaller Asian crabs which you can find by turning over rocks at lowtide. As far as tide as long as it's moving in or out you should be good. I hope this helps . Good Luck
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Slick Moedee

Frustrating fish

I was reading the tautog section from Bigelow and Schroeder's Fishes of the Gulf of Maine the other day, and the last paragraph on tog is very informative, and the last sentence is right on target...

"Tautog are not the easiest fish to catch on hook and line. When a tautog bites, it passes the bait back to the pharyngeal teeth to crush the shells before swallowing them, and in doing so it gives several distinctive jerks or twitches. This is the time to hook it. Many fish are missed by being struck too soon by anglers not experienced in the ways of the tautog."
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
FishnGrega

I've been very unsuccessful in my outings lately. countless hours and 1 maybe 2 bumps. If someone could PM me a fairly good place on Aquidneck Island for some tog that would be very very very appreciative!
FishnGrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
mizzle

the big issue is you have to locate togs first.
mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
the big issue is you have to locate togs first.
I did my first tog fishing this year (with Niko) and was very successful, beginners luck maybe. Setup in a spot and if no action within 20-30 min (or less) find a new spot as the tog are not there. Rocks are the key. Moving water also seemed to stimulate bite.

Good luck in the Spring.

Last edited by PRBuzz; 01-16-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Moedee View Post
I was reading the tautog section from Bigelow and Schroeder's Fishes of the Gulf of Maine the other day, and the last paragraph on tog is very informative, and the last sentence is right on target...

"Tautog are not the easiest fish to catch on hook and line. When a tautog bites, it passes the bait back to the pharyngeal teeth to crush the shells before swallowing them, and in doing so it gives several distinctive jerks or twitches. This is the time to hook it. Many fish are missed by being struck too soon by anglers not experienced in the ways of the tautog."

Yeah but that is why they are so much fun to fish for!! It is a blast when you go out there and you see an experienced fisherman missing them left and right and getting POed. Everyone starts laughing..Then it happens to you! It;'s like getting the "shanks" in golf.

There is a technique and once you master it they are a blast to fish for. I look forward to it every season.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
,,,If the green crabs are big then I cut them in half and leave the legs and claw/s on. ...

Personally, I don't like leaving the legs on the green crab. If only the legs are in his mouth as he repositions himself, when you try to "set", you ain't gonna hook em'. Also, give me the red-bellied greens all day....although an asian salad has it's place as well.

Sorry, iffen I wasn't much help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ingredients3.jpg (76.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg dcp_0096.jpg (139.3 KB, 66 views)

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Mr. Sandman

you should try the gulp peeler crab. Amazing. (its redish) Stays on the hook for lots of fish. It is amazing how rugged it is and how long it lasts. You can also put them back in the jar if it isn't lost and use again later. Costly by the bucket (like 40 bucks) but nice to have onboard, will last many trips.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote