Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
hunan

broke out my waders today...

no it wasn't to wet a line, it was to waddle through the 3 plus feet of snow around my house so i could use the roof rake to get some of the tonnage of snow of my roof. i was laying in bed last night and heard a drip, drip, drip. not fun at all. there was a 6"x6" wall of ice where my gutters should be. melting snow just backed up under the shingles. gonna have to check to see if there is any water and ice protection under those shingles in the spring. until then, the snow rake is going to have to do. chipping ice on the roof with a hammer and screwdriver while standing on a frozen aluminum ladder is not a smart thing to do is it? hope all is well with you all.

no signature required.
hunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Wear your Korkers.....
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Re: broke out my waders today...

Quote:
Originally posted by hunan
no it wasn't to wet a line, it was to waddle through the 3 plus feet of snow around my house so i could use the roof rake to get some of the tonnage of snow of my roof. i was laying in bed last night and heard a drip, drip, drip. not fun at all. there was a 6"x6" wall of ice where my gutters should be. melting snow just backed up under the shingles. gonna have to check to see if there is any water and ice protection under those shingles in the spring. until then, the snow rake is going to have to do. chipping ice on the roof with a hammer and screwdriver while standing on a frozen aluminum ladder is not a smart thing to do is it? hope all is well with you all.
All the snow will cushion you're fall if it happened!!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
hunan

i don't have korkers as of yet and i had the ladder on the roof of the 3 season room and was chipping ice off the roof of the main house. if i would have fallen i would have landed flat on the roof about 8 feet down, slid about another 15 feet down and landed in the pool!!

no signature required.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I can relate I also live in lakeville and had to use a hatchet while standing on a ladder to chop up some of those 8' stalagtites hanging from the gutter. The ice is about 8" thick on the edge of the roof. Every house seems to be in the same boat. P.M.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Squid kids Dad

Same here...Used my waders to use the snowblower...Also have %%$#%^% ice in the gutters and water trickling in everywhere..DAMN!!!

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
hunan

hey p.m. where abouts are you in lakeville. i 'm in the big house on long pond. not the one on county but the one off 18 on the other side.

no signature required.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
hunan

hey s. q. d. you gotta get that ice off the roof. when the snow melts water backs up right under your shingles because it's got nowhere to go. went to home depot today and got that roof rake for 20 bucks. it's 17 feet long and works pretty good. if there's no snow then there's no ice and no water. be careful you guys and good luck.

no signature required.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Don't laugh---my driveway is on such a big slope that I often have to wear Korkers when shoveling

I was complaining last year to a guy who lives in upstate NY about the ice dams in the gutters--he asked me why I have gutters on the house in the first place---apparently, not many houses upstate in the real snow belt have them. It's something I never gave a lot of thought to--any idea on why gutters exist to begin with? (I'm assuming it has something to do with leading water away from the basement). Zoning or building codes?
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #10
hunan

hey mike p. my house doesn't even have gutters and when i went up there i couldn't believe the amount of ice on the roof. i had the ice dam and then under the snow there was about a 1" thick sheet that went about 6' up the roof. i raked the snow off and broke the ice up haven't had a problem yet. heard we're getting more snow beginning of the week, say it ain't so.

no signature required.