Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Chris in Mass

Location: Recently relocated to the shores of Rhode Island - East Bay!
Bees in the BirdFeeder

Today, about 15-20 bees are taking over one of my feeders. It has just the regular (inexpensive) songbird food. Started in the middle of last summer and never had this happen. Is this temporary or do I need to take action?

They are not messing with the black oil sunflower. Any help from the crossover gang is greatly appreciated.

CK
Chris in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Raven

sounds like hornets

take them away from the house at night
when its cold
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
basswipe

What type of feeder?

Suet feeders will definitely attract bees,especially berry and peanut butter blends.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Chris in Mass

Porthole feeder. There knocking the seed out and going inside to make it there home. Birds are freaking. I'll do what raven said and go out tonight when it's cold, knock'em down and refill so there is no air space between the food and the top.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Mass View Post
Porthole feeder. There knocking the seed out and going inside to make it there home. Birds are freaking. I'll do what raven said and go out tonight when it's cold, knock'em down and refill so there is no air space between the food and the top.
Ah,I see.

Raven's advice is good as always.

I've had bees swarm my suet feeders as they did yesterday and today.The grackles don't seem to mind though.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Clammer

they got into the largest birdhouse I HAD .. only a few ........did everything to get the birds back / even took it completely apart / cleaned it in case there was a bee scent ... didn,t matter ... they never went into it .. it actually rotted away >>empty ><><<

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Chris in Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
they got into the largest birdhouse I HAD .. only a few ........did everything to get the birds back / even took it completely apart / cleaned it in case there was a bee scent ... didn,t matter ... they never went into it .. it actually rotted away >>empty ><><<
That blows.

Well, Just came back from some errands and there all gone. Friggin weird. So I went out and topped'em all off.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

bees or wasps? I am sure they are just trying to stay warm at this point.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Chris in Mass

Bees. Since they were all gone without a trace, makes sense - Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Raven

Bees and Wasps

both do a spiral dance whose movements are a GPS signal

directions.... (the spot burning dance)
for others in the nest on Locations... or SPOTS

then others know where to go later....or the next day
whether it's a sugar source or pollen source or housing

so when you move a place they're interested in...
it messes them all up because ...it's no longer there

all my tube feeders i inherited were loaded with them
so i took them down for one season...

this season i can put them up again...........
all the original wasps are now dead
Old 03-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Makes sense. Honey bees I suspect, as all wasps die in the winter except for mated females with do overwinter, hibernate. Also all bumblebees die in the winter except for the mated queens who find a way to hibernate also till spring so probably some honey bees looking for shelter or food as they probably left nest with the mild temps we had. Can't imagine they would stay in the feeders very long.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 03-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Chris in Mass

Definitely looked like honey bees. Some were doing some funky dances in the port holes of the tube feeder. And now that you guys have added some color, other bees just seemed to want to get in the housing between the food and the top. I'm guessing to keep warm. On another feeder, I have some higher grade stuff (mostly sunflower and cracked nuts, etc). There were a gang of bees hanging on that one and they seemed to be in one spot and focused on the feed. If they come back tomorrow, I'll be looking to move things around.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
cape2fish
Ahi

They were most likely honey bees. They will fly anytime the temperatures are over 50 and sometimes down to 40. Today would have been perfect for them and they are just coming out of their reduced winter stupor. They are most likely looking for pollen that they use for a protein source in the grain dust and I have heard of them getting into bird feeders for this before. Honey bees are very worthwhile as they indirectly help in the pollination of most flowering plants including your vegetable and flower garden. They generally don't bother you and if one stings you it dies. You should try to find out whether there might be a honey beekeeper in your area. They will fly up to a 2 mile radius from their hive but just like us they will take the shortest and easiest route to find food and water so there might be a hive and a keeper in your neighborhood. The honey bees will also visit hummingbird feeders to drink the sweet water and also visit bird baths because they need a source of water.
cape2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I have never had a problem with bees in my feeders. Strange. Like stated i think they are just anxious to get moving and maybe they were trying to keep warm. They are pretty lethargic this time of the year if they are out and about. I have had problems with them in hummingbird feeders in the summer because of the sugar water but mostly yellow jackets, wasps as there is plenty for the honey bees to be forging for so no need to hit the sugar water. but your problem is new one to me. Another problem you can get with honey bees is they can take over a birdbath when it is hot out and no water is close by. A hive can drain the thing in a day or 2.

LOL I type too slow. The above gentleman knows what he is talking about

Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
Chris in Mass

Cool stuff guys. I'll be paying close attention and looking to move them on naturally if they come back.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Honey bees are one of the most interesting creatures going. As a kid my best friends dad raised them. Had a hive right outside the back door. None of us ever got stung. Over the years I took 2 different 7 week courses with the intention of raising them but never found the time, but I throughly enjoyed learning about them. I am an avid gardener and know of the necessity of them for most anything we eat. Without them we would be %$%$%$%$ out of luck. Problem is they are under siege of health and environmental problems. There really is no longer any wild honey bees anywhere on this continent. Most people rely more on bumble and mason bees nowadays unless you have a bee keeper in your area. It is the main reason most of my apple crops have failed over the last several years. Poor pollination.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #17
Clammer

F #$%^&*( THE BEES >>I JUST MORE BASS

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #18
Raven

no bee's

and the scientists predict we're doomed to extinction in just 4 years.

in japan they have "people bee's" that have to climb the fruit tree's
and pollinate the flowers with a paint brush by hand...