Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
MotoXcowboy

OIL...YOU BETTER SIT DOWN FOR THIS ONE!

I found this on Craigslist/ * repost *

My question is...why are we drilling for oil 5000+ feet below the ocean, 55 miles offshore in the Caribbean when we could be drilling much safer wells on land? Read below and see if it make sense. Green is good, green is cool but oil is the stopgap we need to give the US time to develop other energy sources without punishing the nation.

OIL - you better sit down.

Here's an interesting read, important and verifiable information :

About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and one of the Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil does the U.S. have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more than all the Middle East put together." Please read below.

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota, and extreme eastern Montana ...... check THIS out:

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska's Prudhoe Bay, and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5.3 trillion.

"When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea." says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst.

"This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years," reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a formation known as the Williston Basin, but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and into Canada. For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves.... and we now have access to up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!

That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from 2006!

U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World

Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?

They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia

- 18-times as much oil as Iraq

- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait

- 22-times as much oil as Iran

- 500-times as much oil as Yemen

- and it's all right here in the Western United States.

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the world today, reports The Denver Post.

Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?

Got your attention yet? Now, while you're thinking about it, do this:

Pass this along. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you should stifle yourself the next time you complain about gas prices - by doing NOTHING, you forfeit your right to complain.

--------

Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you sent this to every one in your address book.

By the way...this is all true. Check it out at the link below!

GOOGLE it, or follow this link. It will blow your mind.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911
Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXcowboy View Post
I found this on Craigslist/ * repost *
I stopped reading right here.

-spence
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
MotoXcowboy

okay.

I never heard of this oil field until now/ the USGS link backs up some of the info.

- Moto
Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Nebe

gullible is not in the dictionary.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Nebe is the largest producer of natural gas in RI.
its on Craigslist.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
MotoXcowboy

well I am reading now the bakken is an urban legend on some other sites.

I just dont understand.. the usgs backs the oil is there.

...i am not an oil expert

just passing along some info found.

debunk it experts

help me understand this please
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
MotoXcowboy

craigslist is full of funny s every once in a while something interesting pops up.

I never heard of this before.

Like I said before, debunk it experts
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
spence

It sounds like there is a lot of oil there, and some of it is already being recovered. But your cut and paste is taking wild liberties with the numbers. At best it's an expensive oil to recover, and isn't the answer to our problems.

There are still big reserves in the Gulf, but they're deep and as we've seen, problematic.

The White Elephant in the room is the consumption of oil in the US, and this thread would be a lot better with some IG pics.

-spence
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
MotoXcowboy

I hear ya spence, that's what I read on other sites too, Perhaps at best me putting this up will help others avoid getting tricked bakken

knowledge is power

on a side note///

Did you hear BP stopped the oil spill?

They put a wedding ring on it and it stopped putting out almost immediately!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Nebe is the largest producer of natural gas in RI.
its on Craigslist.
Pull my finger
Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I have read this before and not on Craigs list. I never saw those kinds of figures in regard to the estimates mention of total barrells, but certain groups h ae been able to keep that oil from being tapped. Also I read that the drilling procedure, sideways drilling ???, through the shale was very difficult.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 06-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

My understanding is that it is 'technically' recoverable, but not 'economically' recoverable.

Just because me might be able to doesn't mean it will be easy or viable.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
My understanding is that it is 'technically' recoverable, but not 'economically' recoverable.

Just because me might be able to doesn't mean it will be easy or viable.
Well put. When's the last time oil was over $100/barrel?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

bite your tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Well put. When's the last time oil was over $100/barrel?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
bite your tongue
Ooops...
Old 06-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
Circlehook
$$

There is plenty of safer to drill oil in the gulf nearer shore than the deepwater wells, but just like the windfarm here, noone wants to see an oil well from the porch of their 10 Million dollar waterfront property.

Most of the mile deep wells are a product of the Clinton era bill to not charge royalties to the oil companies if they drill a certain distance away from the coast. This makes it much more profitable for the oil companies, but as we now see, much more dangerous.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

maybe they'll get Tony to suck the oil for them he needs a new job

Hayward relieved of managerial duties in BP shakeup - Yahoo! News
Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlehook View Post
There is plenty of safer to drill oil in the gulf nearer shore than the deepwater wells, but just like the windfarm here, noone wants to see an oil well from the porch of their 10 Million dollar waterfront property.

Most of the mile deep wells are a product of the Clinton era bill to not charge royalties to the oil companies if they drill a certain distance away from the coast. This makes it much more profitable for the oil companies, but as we now see, much more dangerous.
From what I've read, the trend towards deepwater drilling has less to do with environmentalists and coastal issues and more to do with the fact that that's where the bigger reserves are.

-spence