Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
spence

Firing Squad

I've said in the past I'm generally against the death penalty as I don't believe it's a practical deterrent to crime and there's no chance for appeal. Not that some people don't deserve it...

That being said, it astounds me that this happened in our country in 2010.

'His chest was pierced, he clenched his fist' - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

-spence
Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Hey, they gave the man what he wanted......and he got what he deserved. Sorry, I won't lose any sleep over it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

%$%$%$%$ing barbaric way to die.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Bronko

eh... shot, electrocuted, injected with poison, does it really matter? They are all just means to an end. I have a problem with the "last supper" these creeps get...lobster and a steak dinner? WTF?

Let's all guess who pays for that. Lets hope the cost of the meal and the bullets comes out of his canteen account.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Channeling Gary Gilmore here.

The only thing I have trouble with here is that you can only kill these people once. Some of them deserve to be killed many times over.

Last edited by Swimmer; 06-19-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 06-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I think it is a fairly practical deterrent and as deternts go, it is better to have a deterrent than not have a deterrent.

Inmates rights instead of victims rights, how's that working for us ???

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
PaulS

I waver between being in favor or against the death penalty (b/c sometimes I think being behind walls 23 hours a day for the rest of your life is worse).

He did the crime and has to pay the penalty.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Also don't forget.....he chose firing squad. They gave him the option of lethal injection or firing squad.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I waver between being in favor or against the death penalty (b/c sometimes I think being behind walls 23 hours a day for the rest of your life is worse).

He did the crime and has to pay the penalty.
I feel the same way until I think of paying for scum like that to have internet access, cable tv and 3 square meals a day,,,, Then I think we should speed up the process of execution,,,, just like that comedian said about Texas,,, put in an express lane,,,,,
Old 06-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
fishbones

Spence, is your problem with the fiing squad, or death penalty in general? This guy exhausted all his appeals, and admitted to the crime. It's not like there was a possibility that he was innocent.
And the firing squad is not even an option in Utah anymore. It was removed as a method back in 2004. Only inmates convicted before 2004 have the option of having it done.

I'm with the others here. This guys doesn't deserve to be alive on this earth, whether it's in prison or elsewhere.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
Circlehook
$$

I am in favor of the death penalty for the most part. The guy did kill 4people.

There is no 100% perfect way to execute someone. I think firing squad is pretty close to the quickest way.

I think the french had it right though (for once)

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Raven

who better

to clean up the oil spill....
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
JohnnyD

The death penalty isn't utilized enough. Iraq has the correct idea - once convicted, you get one chance at appeal and then you die within 30 days. This BS of being on death row for years or even decades is a joke.

A multiple murderer deserves no better. Death penalty for murderers and castration for rapists. The death penalty should be considered for any conviction of Life in Prison without the possibility of parole. If a person cannot be rehabilitated, why should they be allowed to live?

We need to go back to the times of public hangings for murderers, rapists and thieves.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlehook View Post
I am in favor of the death penalty for the most part. The guy did kill 4people.

There is no 100% perfect way to execute someone. I think firing squad is pretty close to the quickest way.

I think the french had it right though (for once)
The most effective method of execution would be TELEVISED!
We can all talk about "deterrents" and "rehabilitation", but in the end these animals (ONLY THOSE THAT HAVE ADMITTED KILLING, OR WERE FOUND GUILTY AND HAD EXHAUSTED THEIR APPEALS) need to set the example. No, the "insanity plea" doesn't matter either, because if you were crazy enough once, you sure as hell will be crazy enough again!!

What's more inherant of a civilization: abolish the death penalty, and "try" to rehab an animal just so he can do it again when freed, or set examples to deter others from following in their footsteps in the first place?

We kill animals that attack humans, and they don't know any better, but we will give a murderous POS a chance to repent and repeat, and they KNOW better!

Follow due process, and if you are found guilty, convicted and exhausted all appeals or you admit your guilt, you should pay the ultimate price. Remember, the deceased victims don't get an appeal, or a second chance, so with the ever increasing amounts of mental defectives committing murder in increasing frequency, if we do nothing to deter these animals, we'll be paying for them for the rest of OUR LIVES.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Follow due process, and if you are found guilty, convicted and exhausted all appeals or you admit your guilt, you should pay the ultimate price. Remember, the deceased victims don't get an appeal, or a second chance, so with the ever increasing amounts of mental defectives committing murder in increasing frequency, if we do nothing to deter these animals, we'll be paying for them for the rest of OUR LIVES.
Culling the herd.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Spence, is your problem with the fiing squad, or death penalty in general?
The firing squad. I know it's been outlawed, but the fact that they'd still do it just because it was on the books at the time is surprising. It's quite barbaric...

-spence
Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
Fly Rod

Firing squad was to good for him. Should have used a garrote around his neck, put him on his belly have a rope to his legs 16" off the ground and let him squirm.

And that BAS@#$% that just killed his two kids, wife and mother in law should get the same.

When there is proof positive of being guilty they should DIE! DIE! DIE!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
scottw

I'm really enjoying clicking and seeing

Firing Squad
Johnny D

Firing Squad
Spence

brings a little smile to my face
Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
FishermanTim

When you have a animal (because once you have wantonly and dicisively CHOSEN to kill another human being -*other than self defense and serving in the military*- you are no longer a human being to me, but just another animal that has acquired the taste for human flesh (in a sense).

I'm sick and tired of hearing how we should "get to know" and "try to understand" the mind of a killer. Heck, there will be plenty of time for that when his brain is in a bottle in the morgue!
Just how many prisons do we need to build and pay for before we can even begin to see a change in the pattern of a killers development? We've been "putting them up" at Cedar Juction (nice cute name for the prison, huh?) for decades and all that has changed is the number of inmates (increased).

Here's something I would like to see anylized: Ask the surviving members of families of murder victims if they would rather see the killer rehabitated back into society a free man, or buried six feet down (just like their victims)?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Hey, they gave the man what he wanted......and he got what he deserved. Sorry, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Neither will I.Actually I main gain some sleep.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I've said in the past I'm generally against the death penalty as I don't believe it's a practical deterrent to crime and there's no chance for appeal. Not that some people don't deserve it...

That being said, it astounds me that this happened in our country in 2010.

'His chest was pierced, he clenched his fist' - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

-spence

Sorry Spence but the death penalty is absolutely a detterent to crime.99% of every moron on death row fights it till the bitter end including this fool,20+ yrs of fighting it.If the death penalty was used for every perp that murdered another human being,the USA would be a much safer place...it just isn't used enough.

PEOPLE ARE SCARED OF DEATH.Including murderers like this idiot,why fight it for over 20yrs knowing you're guilty?HE'S SCARED OF DEATH!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Sorry Spence but the death penalty is absolutely a detterent to crime.99% of every moron on death row fights it till the bitter end including this fool,20+ yrs of fighting it.If the death penalty was used for every perp that murdered another human being,the USA would be a much safer place...it just isn't used enough.

PEOPLE ARE SCARED OF DEATH.Including murderers like this idiot,why fight it for over 20yrs knowing you're guilty?HE'S SCARED OF DEATH!!!
I don't agree, nor do I believe the statistics agree. I think we keep the death penalty in this country out of some fundamentalist Christian eye for an eye mentality...

Sure the perps fight it, but if it was a deterrent wouldn't why would they have committed the crime in the first place?

-spence
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
When you have a animal (because once you have wantonly and dicisively CHOSEN to kill another human being -*other than self defense and serving in the military*- you are no longer a human being to me, but just another animal that has acquired the taste for human flesh (in a sense).

I'm sick and tired of hearing how we should "get to know" and "try to understand" the mind of a killer. Heck, there will be plenty of time for that when his brain is in a bottle in the morgue!
Just how many prisons do we need to build and pay for before we can even begin to see a change in the pattern of a killers development? We've been "putting them up" at Cedar Juction (nice cute name for the prison, huh?) for decades and all that has changed is the number of inmates (increased).

Here's something I would like to see anylized: Ask the surviving members of families of murder victims if they would rather see the killer rehabitated back into society a free man, or buried six feet down (just like their victims)?
Amen!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #24
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I say, kill them all.
Speed up the process and use the guillotine instead of lethal injection, firing squad, electric chair ect......
Those methods all cost us $$$ (electricity,bullets, meds for injections ect...)
The overhead for using the guillotine has to be next to nothing !

Last edited by Raider Ronnie; 06-18-2010 at 08:16 PM..

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #25
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don't agree, nor do I believe the statistics agree. I think we keep the death penalty in this country out of some fundamentalist Christian eye for an eye mentality...

Sure the perps fight it, but if it was a deterrent wouldn't why would they have committed the crime in the first place?

-spence
If they would use my methods it would deter people that want to kill the innocents, not life in prison lifting weights, watching TV ,getting educated.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
buckman

How do you get on the firing squad?
JD look into it... I think we could put together our own and post pics in a thread.
or choice is yours punk!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #27
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Firing squad, electric chair, hanging......they all work for me!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Firing squad, electric chair, hanging......they all work for me!!!
yeah...whatever you do...just don't waterboard anyone!!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #29
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
How do you get on the firing squad?
JD look into it... I think we could put together our own and post pics in a thread.
or choice is yours punk!
he asked for it...still legal in Utah..something like 40 of their last 49 or so executions have been by firing squad with no shortage of volunteers...
Old 06-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #30
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Its not legal in Utah....they passed a law abolishing it but because he was sentenced before they abolished it they Grandfathered him in nd the courts allowed it! 1 bullet is cheaper than the gas or all the voltage it would have taken to eliminate the bastard......so lets save a few bucks!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!