Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #121
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I actually took the time to read both articles. There's no contradiction. She is reporting on two interviews with different industry experts on two related subjects.
but they can’t both be true.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #122
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
but they can’t both be true.
in spenceworld the most ludicrous things are possible....he's like willy wonka for leftists
Old 11-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #123
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
in spenceworld the most ludicrous things are possible....he's like willy wonka for leftists
This party is disintegrating before our eyes. The nation sees gas prices, inflation, crime, open borders, liberals lying about a 17 year old kid in am attempt to literally ruin his life for political gain, liberals making EVERYTHING about race, liberal prosecutors giving $1,000 bail to a guy who ran over his girlfriend so he can subsequently kill 6 people including a child, the Afghanistan exit, democrats unable to do anything despite controlling the entire federal government, liberals more concerned about how we label "looting" than they are concerned with stopping it, liberals attacking police, liberals telling white kids they should feel guilty, liberals telling parents they aren't qualified to have a say in the education of their children, a liberal president with obvious dementia and a liberal vice president who is an obvious moron even by "Sweathog" standards.

If the woke progressives keep this up, we can get Sean Hannity elected mayor of San Francisco next year.

Who is advising the people who run this party? Aside from Bill Maher and James Carville, I don't think any of them see they have a problem. Clueless.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #124
Pete F.
Canceled

Imagine what conservative media and would be doing if the DNC were paying Biden's personal legal fees in a tax scam. "We're here talking to an unemployed waitress who gave $25 to Biden's campaign and now she feels...."

I’m fine with the RNC pissing away its war chest funding for the midterm elections on all these losing legal battles. Also, coming to Trump's rescue, it must register on some of the cult base that a man who needs rescuing financially is not a superstar business success.
But it’s hard to recognize the conman , when you're his mark
Old 11-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #125
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Imagine what conservative media and would be doing if the DNC were paying Biden's personal legal fees in a tax scam. "We're here talking to an unemployed waitress who gave $25 to Biden's campaign and now she feels...."

I’m fine with the RNC pissing away its war chest funding for the midterm elections on all these losing legal battles. Also, coming to Trump's rescue, it must register on some of the cult base that a man who needs rescuing financially is not a superstar business success.
But it’s hard to recognize the conman , when you're his mark
i see, the answer is, "but Trump!"

Pete, what is Trump getting from me, exactly? I don't like him, and I'm living my life and very rarely think about him. You don't like him, and you never stop obsessing about him, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When does is stop?

YOU'RE his mark, not me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trump.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	68582  
Old 11-24-2021, 06:00 AM   #126
Pete F.
Canceled

I’m not funding him, you and your “ilk” are.

Back in the day, people who had achieved great things would visit the President at the White House.

But now, in the upside down, MAGA maniacs worship a murderer, who makes a pilgrimage to Mar-A-Lago to visit the twice-impeached riot inciter with Kim Jong-Un on his wall.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #127
Jim in CT

Quote:
I’m not funding him, you and your “ilk” are.

Back in the day, people who had achieved great things would visit the President at the White House.

But now, in the upside down, MAGA maniacs worship a murderer, who makes a pilgrimage to Mar-A-Lago to visit the twice-impeached riot inciter with Kim Jong-Un on his wall.
im not finding trump.

but when people
like you go out there and spew your woke, progressive lunacy…that does fund the gop. because it incentivizes people to get behind conservatives

you’re a huge gift to the right.

now that the trump distraction is out of the picture ( everywhere except in your mind), people can focus their attention on what liberals are saying and doing. Sadly for you, people
are increasingly finding it weird and scary.

Close all federal prisons in ten years? let every single federal convict out within ten years?

saying that at the same exact time as the mass murder in WI? at the hands of a guy who should have been locked up a long time ago?

your party is imploding in front of america’s eyes. almost every impulse and instinct they have, drives people away.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #128
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
im not finding trump.

but when people
like you go out there and spew your woke, progressive lunacy…that does fund the gop. because it incentivizes people to get behind conservatives

now that the trump distraction is out of the picture ( everywhere except in your mind), people can focus their attention on what liberals are saying and doing. Sadly for you, people
are increasingly finding it weird and scary.

Close all federal prisons in ten years? let every single federal convict out within ten years?

saying that at the same exact time as the mass murder in WI? at the hands of a guy who should have been locked up a long time ago?

your party is imploding in front of america’s eyes. almost every impulse and instinct they have, drives people away.
Sure Jim
Americans kill more Americans than foreigners kill Americans so we should probably play it safe and not let any more Americans into America.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #129
Jim in CT

Quote:
Sure Jim
Americans kill more Americans than foreigners kill Americans so we should probably play it safe and not let any more Americans into America.
yes pete, i specifically said that it’s a good thing that americans kill each other.

more death!

according to your side, no cash bail,,defunding police, and closing federal prisons, are ideas that will result in fewer americans killing each other?

stick with that platform, especially right now, in a swing state like WI. that platform will be very popular in WI today.

so stupid.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #130
scottw

Quote:

I wouldn't go that far...he must be tons of fun at the thanksgiving table
Old 11-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #131
Jim in CT

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far...he must be tons of fun at the thanksgiving table
his mindset is a huge gift.

In the same moment that the nation is watching with horror what happened in Wisconsin, and realizing how horribly the criminal
justice system in america failed to protect seniors and children from this animal. IN THAT SAME MOMENT, you have AOC calling for further reductions to bail, and you have Rashida Talib saying federal prisons should all be closed in ten years and every inmate released.

that’s taking stupid and incompetence to evangelical heights.

That’s a huge gift to the gop.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #132
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
yes pete, i specifically said that it’s a good thing that americans kill each other.

more death!

according to your side, no cash bail,,defunding police, and closing federal prisons, are ideas that will result in fewer americans killing each other?

stick with that platform, especially right now, in a swing state like WI. that platform will be very popular in WI today.

so stupid.
Cash bail is one of the bigger drivers of recividism, Sam gets arrested for a petty theft committed because he’s broke or nearly so. Can’t post bail, loses his job.
When he gets out he’s broke, homeless and jobless.
Wonder what his choices are?

Police get called for a welfare check, autistic person they are checking on freaks, untrained cops freak, someone ends up dead.
Defunding was an unfortunate choice of words, changing the role of police is supported by police.

For profit prisons have zero incentive to reduce recidivism, who’s going to reduce their customer base. We imprison far more people than other developed countries, is that because Americans are more likely to commit crimes?

But be very afraid, because someone has found an extreme example and presented it as the norm.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #133
Jim in CT

Quote:
Cash bail is one of the bigger drivers of recividism, Sam gets arrested for a petty theft committed because he’s broke or nearly so. Can’t post bail, loses his job.
When he gets out he’s broke, homeless and jobless.
Wonder what his choices are?

Police get called for a welfare check, autistic person they are checking on freaks, untrained cops freak, someone ends up dead.
Defunding was an unfortunate choice of words, changing the role of police is supported by police.

For profit prisons have zero incentive to reduce recidivism, who’s going to reduce their customer base. We imprison far more people than other developed countries, is that because Americans are more likely to commit crimes?

But be very afraid, because someone has found an extreme example and presented it as the norm.
i don’t disagree that there’s a downside to cash bail, and that the downside effects poor people.

but there are other scenarios in addition to poor Sam there.

this guy in Wisconsin didn’t get $1,000 bail for petty theft. First, he ran over a woman with his truck. Second, he had an active warrant for him in Nevada for skipping bail
there in a sex crime.

that’s what angers americans. obviously setting bail isn’t an exact science, and obviously no one has a crystal ball.

but you’d have to be an idiot to give $1,000 bail
to this guy, in that situation. the optics could not be worse for democrats. the milwaukee states attorney is an avowed progressive, who is on record saying that people
he lets go will at some point kill someone else, but that doesn’t devalue the idea of leniency. boy oh boy was he right about that.

naturally you posted one scenario about a non violent guy. just stealing diapers and baby formula. Sam probably left an apology note too.

that scenario needs to be discussed pete, but so does the other extreme.

this is just the latest in a string of complete disasters for this ad
inistration, one after the other after the other after the other. a never ending conga line of embarrassment.

biden saying the rittenhouse jury spoke and that’s that. than an hour later he switches gears and says he’s angry. a president can’t do that. he is oo weak to not to it.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #134
scottw

Quote:

is that because Americans are more likely to commit crimes?

yup...especially in places of genius like San Francisco where they have essentially decriminalize stealing property and can't understand why there is so much theft and looting...it's brilliant stuff
Old 11-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #135
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
yup...especially in places of genius like San Francisco where they have essentially decriminalize stealing property and can't understand why there is so much theft and looting...it's brilliant stuff
Organized retail crime is real and it isn’t petty theft, but keep eating up what they feed you.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #136
detbuch

Quote:
Organized retail crime is real and it isn’t petty theft, but keep eating up what they feed you.
Where do you get your $hit info from, the Oracle of Delphi?
Old 11-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #137
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Where do you get your $hit info from, the Oracle of Delphi?
Wall Street Journal also read by the Oracle, of Omaha that is
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cvs-hom...me-11630505851

Last edited by Pete F.; 11-24-2021 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Add

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #138
detbuch

Quote:
Wall Street Journal
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cvs-hom...me-11630505851
I meant, in general, where do you get your info. Your "keep eating up what they feed you" sarc implies that Scott's sources feed him fake junk and you're sources don't feed you crap, but nourishes you with pure nutritious journalistic manna from the gods of truth.

As for your WSJ article, it doesn't discount what Scottw said. As in this quote from the article:
"Retail investigators blame changes in sentencing laws in some states for an uptick in thefts. In California, a 2014 law downgraded the theft of less than $950 worth of goods to a misdemeanor from a felony.

Also this WSJ article backs up Scottw's post: https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...te-11604361241

If you think the WSJ feeds you good stuff, would you like to discuss its articles on Critical Race Theory, or the Rittenhouse verdict?
Old 11-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #139
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I meant, in general, where do you get your info. Your "keep eating up what they feed you" sarc implies that Scott's sources feed him fake junk and you're sources don't feed you crap, but nourishes you with pure nutritious journalistic manna from the gods of truth.

As for your WSJ article, it doesn't discount what Scottw said. As in this quote from the article:
"Retail investigators blame changes in sentencing laws in some states for an uptick in thefts. In California, a 2014 law downgraded the theft of less than $950 worth of goods to a misdemeanor from a felony.

Also this WSJ article backs up Scottw's post: https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...te-11604361241

If you think the WSJ feeds you good stuff, would you like to discuss its articles on Critical Race Theory, or the Rittenhouse verdict?
So a 2014 law puts this in the news now?

Be very afraid

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #140
detbuch

Quote:
So a 2014 law puts this in the news now?

Be very afraid
Why are you asking me? I quoted the article YOU posted. Check with the WSJ.

If I were to attempt a guess, I would suppose it takes time to develop new strategies to changing circumstances. As those strategies seem to succeed, they proliferate over time. Until it becomes an obvious crisis and authorities react with new laws and greater enforcement. There seems to have been a confluence of loosening restrictions and cutting law enforcement. With the obvious results. So regulations and enforcement may change in another or previous direction.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #141
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Why are you asking me? I quoted the article YOU posted. Check with the WSJ.

If I were to attempt a guess, I would suppose it takes time to develop new strategies to changing circumstances. As those strategies seem to succeed, they proliferate over time. Until it becomes an obvious crisis and authorities react with new laws and greater enforcement. There seems to have been a confluence of loosening restrictions and cutting law enforcement. With the obvious results. So regulations and enforcement may change in another or previous direction.
Or maybe just like the cost of everything over time, it becomes ineffective to enforce laws for minor transgressions that cost $5K to prosecute for a $500 crime.
But those are very important and the IRS enforcing tax fraud that’s millions isn’t worth it

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #142
detbuch

Quote:
Or maybe just like the cost of everything over time, it becomes ineffective to enforce laws for minor transgressions that cost $5K to prosecute for a $500 crime.
But those are very important and the IRS enforcing tax fraud that’s millions isn’t worth it
I don't think it's so much that enforcing laws for minor transgression becomes ineffective, it's more a budget allocation thing. Which causes resentment in the community because government is deemed to cater to what and where it is more profitable. In that scenario, poorer sections are plagued more by "minor" transgressions because in the areas where the source of government funding is located, it is more financially rewarding to be more scrupulous about prosecuting ticky-tack crimes.

In my opinion, tending to the "minor" crimes as well as the major ones, can curb the growth of the bigger crimes. Letting the little ones go can be like letting a little cancer grow.

Comparing the IRS to local law enforcement is unfair. The federal government, in effect, has fairly unlimited funding. But it, too, no matter how much it tries to convince us differently, depends on the places that produce wealth. It can pretend to look after poor folks by passing nice sounding legislation and spreading sops into poor communities, or throwing big sums of money there which mostly goes to administration than to the people.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #143
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I don't think it's so much that enforcing laws for minor transgression becomes ineffective, it's more a budget allocation thing. Which causes resentment in the community because government is deemed to cater to what and where it is more profitable. In that scenario, poorer sections are plagued more by "minor" transgressions because in the areas where the source of government funding is located, it is more financially rewarding to be more scrupulous about prosecuting ticky-tack crimes.

In my opinion, tending to the "minor" crimes as well as the major ones, can curb the growth of the bigger crimes. Letting the little ones go can be like letting a little cancer grow.

Comparing the IRS to local law enforcement is unfair. The federal government, in effect, has fairly unlimited funding. But it, too, no matter how much it tries to convince us differently, depends on the places that produce wealth. It can pretend to look after poor folks by passing nice sounding legislation and spreading sops into poor communities, or throwing big sums of money there which mostly goes to administration than to the people.
Or let billionaires steal millions while chasing “peons” for dollars
Because the “unlimited” dollars can’t come from the people who end up with them, the serfs need to pay up for the privilege of having some trickle down to them

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #144
detbuch

Quote:
Because the “unlimited” dollars can’t come from the people who end up with them, the serfs need to pay up for the privilege of having some trickle down to them
Sounds like you're ready for a revolution. You should get an AR15 and lots of bullets.

Or you can rely on Biden.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #145
Jim in CT

Quote:
you just posted recently that the vast majority if those who run our economy, vote democrat. so take this argument up with the dnc.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:33 AM   #146
scottw

Quote:

this is true...an AR-15 is less expensive and more effective for preventing these transgressions...and you probably only need to prevent one to send a clear message that these transgressions won't be tolerated