Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #91
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
From one of your links...

"It is certainly true that treated as a whole group, Asian-Americans appear to be doing well. Relative to other racial and ethnic minorities, they live in wealthier neighborhoods, have high marriage rates, high levels of educational achievement, and are successful in the labor market."

Proving me 100% correct.

"Asian-Americans are more likely to believe that academic achievement results from greater effort, rather than greater skill. This belief can in fact explain a large part of the superior academic outcomes for Asian-Americans, according to some studies. Believing that hard work pays off, Asian-American students work harder—and, for them, it pays off."

Also proving me 100% correct.

Did you not read these?

"Asian-Americans live near better schools. This explanation for higher achievement is of course a rather boring one, compared to appeals to culture. But it suggests that policymakers would do better to promote higher-performing schools than worry too much about promoting “Asian values.”

Idiotic (its not random that asians live near better schools, it's because they are wealthy), but even if you assume that's valid, its a great argument for school choice. Which party supports school choice, and which party opposes school choice, Wayne?

"But there are wide differences between different Asian-American groups. Many are struggling economically;"

Obviously true. No one ever said all asians are identical. We're making broad generalizations here. Not all blacks are identical, not all whites are identical.

"The Asian groups faring poorly are those living in areas with poorer quality schools—similar, in fact, to those in which African Americans live"

Again, a superb argument in favor of school choice.

Wayne, you think any of that proves me wrong somehow?

If you stay in school, work hard, don't have kids until you are married, then regardless of race, it's very very unlikely you will be poor.

If you don't like that fact, that's your problem. If racism was a big deal, the data would show that blacks don't escape poverty when they follow those rules. But the data is clear, blacks enjoy similar benefits when they make productive decisions. That doesn't mean there's zero racism, but it's not a big deal.
If you stay in school, work hard, don't have kids until you are married, then regardless of race, it's very very unlikely you will be poor.

That’s great but nothing close to what you’ve posted ..,

Maybe you should have just started and finished with that
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-28-2021, 08:35 PM   #92
wdmso

Texas House committee to investigate school districts’ books on race and sexuality

State Rep. Matt Krause, a candidate for state attorney general, asked school superintendents to confirm whether any books on a list of 850 titles are in their libraries and classrooms.

This is classic example of CRT
Old 10-29-2021, 04:14 AM   #93
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

That’s great but nothing close to what you’ve posted ..,

Maybe you should have just started and finished with that
i pretty much did. you missed it, because you had decided beforehand that i was wrong because i’m not a liberal.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:16 AM   #94
Jim in CT

Quote:
Texas House committee to investigate school districts’ books on race and sexuality

State Rep. Matt Krause, a candidate for state attorney general, asked school superintendents to confirm whether any books on a list of 850 titles are in their libraries and classrooms.

This is classic example of CRT
and what is it, when liberals ban To Kill A Mockingbird

There’s plenty of racism in that book. but what liberals somehow miss ( and you really have to be stupid to miss) is that the racists are portrayed as awful. the guy fighting against the racists,,is the hero of the book.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:19 AM   #95
wdmso

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1216652]i pretty much did. you missed it, because you had decided beforehand that i was wrong because i’m not a liberal.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/

Simplistic racial categories can also provide fuel for racial stereotypes. One of the strongest is the idealization of Asian-Americans as a “model minority”—hard working, studious, committed to family, and so on. There are a number of problems with this characterization.

Jim I just think you have simplistic solutions to complex problems
And having black be like Asians is one of them .

I don’t think anyone here wants any race or ethnicity to fail , however we can’t just buy nto the myth that in America everyone starts at the 20 yard line .
Old 10-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #96
wdmso

Quote:
and what is it, when liberals ban To Kill A Mockingbird

There’s plenty of racism in that book. but what liberals somehow miss ( and you really have to be stupid to miss) is that the racists are portrayed as awful. the guy fighting against the racists,,is the hero of the book.
school board’s decision

following concerns raised by parents over racism.

the main character his actions are not heroic “In reality, Atticus was an unwilling participant not a civil rights crusader;

I agree with you the book is full of racism ,

I don’t think the concern is teaching about racism

Parents concerns of CRT would be legitimate if it was actually happening

And this is the State looking to ban books huge difference

Krause sent a letter on Monday to the Texas Education Agency and superintendents of school districts around the state, asking each official to confirm whether their schools possess any books on his list, along with a detailed accounting of where they are and how much money was spent on them.

but his request mentioned several recent pushes to remove books from libraries and classrooms if they center on issues from transgender identity to critical race theory

https://www.marshall.edu/library/ban...a-mockingbird/

List all the ban attempts of the book not all are liberal areas one was over Challenged at the Brentwood (TN) Middle School because the book contains “profanity” and “contains adult themes such as sexual intercourse, rape, and incest.

Last edited by wdmso; 10-29-2021 at 07:53 AM..
Old 10-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #97
scottw

[QUOTE=wdmso;1216662]
Quote:

however we can’t just buy nto the myth that in America everyone starts at the 20 yard line .

it's a "historical fact" that everyone does not start at the 20 yard line....it's also a fact that it will never be the case...but great job arguing against something that no one ever said again
Old 10-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #98
wdmso

[QUOTE=scottw;1216666]
Quote:

it's a "historical fact" that everyone does not start at the 20 yard line....it's also a fact that it will never be the case...but great job arguing against something that no one ever said again
It’s called the American dream maybe you’ve heard of it
Old 10-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #99
scottw

[QUOTE=wdmso;1216668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

It’s called the American dream maybe you’ve heard of it
The American dream is a myth that everyone starts at the 20 yard line? Nope. Never heard that version…..and can’t imagine where you get this nonsense
Old 10-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #100
Pete F.
Canceled

The rhetoric and propaganda about critical race theory is bull#^&#^&#^&#^&. I might have said the same thing 5-7 yrs ago, but then I opened my eyes and listened to black Americans. What the right paints as critical race theory is nothing but a long overdue course correction in how we teach American history. It’s time for white America to listen for a change.

Telling the truth about history is not racist. Watering down and white washing history making this country look like saints (when we are FAR from it) is racist.

MURIIICAAA at it’s finest

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #101
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The rhetoric and propaganda about critical race theory is bull#^&#^&#^&#^&. I might have said the same thing 5-7 yrs ago, but then I opened my eyes and listened to black Americans. What the right paints as critical race theory is nothing but a long overdue course correction in how we teach American history. It’s time for white America to listen for a change.

Telling the truth about history is not racist. Watering down and white washing history making this country look like saints (when we are FAR from it) is racist.

you really need help....

funny...I see a remarkable number of very informed people of color that have serious issues with CRT...they probably don't count
Old 10-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #102
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you really need help....

funny...I see a remarkable number of very informed people of color that have serious issues with CRT...they probably don't count
The threat to American democracy has increased exponentially over the past five years or so when mediocre people of meager talents realized they would never have to work a straight job again as long as they could terrify a nation of right-wing nitwits about the end of "Real America."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #103
Pete F.
Canceled

What does the rightwing think is wrong with white kids in America that, if they learn accurate US history, they won't love our country?

I have more confidence in America's children of all colors and the American Dream than to think true patriotism requires ignorance.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #104
wdmso

Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., told Newsmax that this country's current education system is ''indoctrinating'' young people to hate the United States.

CRT nationalism the hate of the media Jan 6th all being spewed by the right Trump and his followers…

Sure their just being patriotic .that the excuse . they are the real clear and present danger to democracy!!
Old 10-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #105
Jim in CT

Quote:
school board’s decision

following concerns raised by parents over racism.

the main character his actions are not heroic “In reality, Atticus was an unwilling participant not a civil rights crusader;

I agree with you the book is full of racism ,

I don’t think the concern is teaching about racism

Parents concerns of CRT would be legitimate if it was actually happening

And this is the State looking to ban books huge difference

Krause sent a letter on Monday to the Texas Education Agency and superintendents of school districts around the state, asking each official to confirm whether their schools possess any books on his list, along with a detailed accounting of where they are and how much money was spent on them.

but his request mentioned several recent pushes to remove books from libraries and classrooms if they center on issues from transgender identity to critical race theory

https://www.marshall.edu/library/ban...a-mockingbird/

List all the ban attempts of the book not all are liberal areas one was over Challenged at the Brentwood (TN) Middle School because the book contains “profanity” and “contains adult themes such as sexual intercourse, rape, and incest.
oh, atticus finch wasn’t a hero?

have you ever read the book? just because you can post a quote from some moron, doesnt make it true.

i’ve read it ten times. the only reason atticus expressed any concern over taking on racism, was his children. he felt bad that he had to expose them to the ugliness of the world. But he did it anyway. He did it generously, skillfully, and at great risk to himself.

jesus god almighty wayne.

Duh.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:04 PM   #106
detbuch

Quote:
I opened my eyes and listened to black Americans . . . It’s time for white America to listen for a change.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:34 PM   #107
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

have you ever read the book? just because you can post a quote from some moron, doesnt make it true.

i’ve read it ten times. the only reason atticus expressed any concern over taking on racism, was his children. he felt bad that he had to expose them to the ugliness of the world. But he did it anyway. He did it generously, skillfully, and at great risk to himself.

Duh.
Now do the Texas rep who has a list of close to a thousand books he wants to ban.

The rapid shift from "why is everyone an easily triggered snowflake participation trophy recipient" to "we gotta ban these books because my senior in high school had nightmares" is more indication that maybe the former was a bad faith operation all along

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #108
detbuch

Old 11-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #109
Pete F.
Canceled

So now you’re consulting YouTubers from an Indian foundation to justify not teaching American History in America, not sure what kind of shift that is from your other source from Brazil
Old 11-01-2021, 06:21 PM   #110
Pete F.
Canceled

This is how the Republican Party uses the fear induced with their latest bogeyman, Critical Race Theory

Greg Abbott, noting that parents across Texas have become “increasingly alarmed” about “extremely inappropriate” library books, is now calling on districts to remove them. Doesn’t cite specific books, but recent cases have centered on anti-racism, sex-ed and LGBTQ books.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #111
detbuch

Quote:
So now you’re consulting YouTubers from an Indian foundation to justify not teaching American History in America, not sure what kind of shift that is from your other source from Brazil
The perspectives I am introducing you to are very "diverse." Am I to suppose that you only support diversity if it suits your narrow agenda?

And the discussion in the video is between an American and an Indian both of whom have far more knowledge about CRT and its effects than you seem to have. You claim that "conservatives" don't even know what CRT is. I haven't seen you attempt a critique of what it is nor any attempt to discuss it.

And these videos are not about American history. From what I have gathered, CRT is not history per se, it is race theory.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:51 AM   #112
Pete F.
Canceled

Here is a short lesson on what critical race theory is, the rest is in the link

A Lesson on Critical Race Theory
by Janel George

In September 2020, President Trump issued an executive order excluding from federal contracts any diversity and inclusion training interpreted as containing “Divisive Concepts,” “Race or Sex Stereotyping,” and “Race or Sex Scapegoating.” Among the content considered “divisive” is Critical Race Theory (CRT). In response, the African American Policy Forum, led by legal scholar Kimberlé Crenshaw, launched the #TruthBeTold campaign to expose the harm that the order poses. Reports indicate that over 300 diversity and inclusion trainings have been canceled as a result of the order. And over 120 civil rights organizations and allies signed a letter condemning the executive order. The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF), the National Urban League (NUL), and the National Fair Housing Alliance filed a federal lawsuit alleging that the executive order violates the guarantees of free speech, equal protection, and due process. So, exactly what is CRT, why is it under attack, and what does it mean for the civil rights lawyer?

CRT is not a diversity and inclusion “training” but a practice of interrogating the role of race and racism in society that emerged in the legal academy and spread to other fields of scholarship. Crenshaw—who coined the term “CRT”—notes that CRT is not a noun, but a verb. It cannot be confined to a static and narrow definition but is considered to be an evolving and malleable practice. It critiques how the social construction of race and institutionalized racism perpetuate a racial caste system that relegates people of color to the bottom tiers. CRT also recognizes that race intersects with other identities, including sexuality, gender identity, and others. CRT recognizes that racism is not a bygone relic of the past. Instead, it acknowledges that the legacy of slavery, segregation, and the imposition of second-class citizenship on Black Americans and other people of color continue to permeate the social fabric of this nation.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...l-race-theory/

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #113
wdmso

Quote:

Duh.

Yes Jim when I read it I to was told how heroic he was by my teachers and in my limited experience in the real world it made sense .. but at 55 years old I read the same book and see a different reality, Just because I don’t see his as a grand hero in no way am I suggesting he is a villain, because he is neither to me he his a man that is in the middle of 2 different worlds and trying his best to give a man a fair trial Aka his Job
I see many people of history and characters in book in the same light
Age and experience tends to do that..
Old 11-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #114
scottw

Quote:
Yes Jim when I read it I to was told how heroic he was by my teachers and in my limited experience in the real world it made sense .. but at 55 years old I read the same book and see a different reality, Just because I don’t see his as a grand hero in no way am I suggesting he is a villain, because he is neither to me he his a man that is in the middle of 2 different worlds and trying his best to give a man a fair trial Aka his Job
you didn't read the book...did you?
Old 11-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #115
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

Am I to suppose that you only support diversity if it suits your narrow agenda?

ding...ding...ding....
Old 11-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #116
Jim in CT

Quote:
My God. I'm not sure you read the book. "The job" was supposed to go to the new lawyer in town but they wanted Atticus to take it because of who he was. He didn't want to be in that spot, he didn't want to expose his kids to bigotry, but knew he couldnt ask his kids to respect him if he didn't do it. He didn't just poke holes the the prosecution's case, he went WAY beyond that and spoke out against the evil historical sin of bigotry. He didn't want to have Bob Ewell spit in his face, didn't want to have to drive out to tell Toms wife that Tom was dead. He never pressured clients to pay, took payments in food if that was all they had, and he was glad to take it.

"His job"? Just doing his job? It was his job, when he heard that the racists were coming to hang Tom, it was his job to go sit on the front steps of the jail all night, to stand up without flinching to an entire mob, to tell them to go home?

You missed THE ENTIRE POINT. Do you recall the scene in the book and in the movie, when all the blacks in the courtroom stood up in respect when he was leaving the courthouse? The black reverend said to his daughter who was sitting on the ground, ":Miss jean louise? Miss Jean Louise? Stand up, your father's passing." She looked around and saw that all the blacks were standing in respect for Atticus. That's a scene that's supposed to give you goosebumps at what a selfless hero he was (often taking payments in food, often letting people take as long as they needed to pay, never hounding them for payment).

Christ almighty, stick to fishing.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #117
spence

Quote:
My God. I'm not sure you read the book. "The job" was supposed to go to the new lawyer in town but they wanted Atticus to take it because of who he was. He didn't want to be in that spot, he didn't want to expose his kids to bigotry, but knew he couldnt ask his kids to respect him if he didn't do it. He didn't just poke holes the the prosecution's case, he went WAY beyond that and spoke out against the evil historical sin of bigotry. He didn't want to have Bob Ewell spit in his face, didn't want to have to drive out to tell Toms wife that Tom was dead. He never pressured clients to pay, took payments in food if that was all they had, and he was glad to take it.

"His job"? Just doing his job? It was his job, when he heard that the racists were coming to hang Tom, it was his job to go sit on the front steps of the jail all night, to stand up without flinching to an entire mob, to tell them to go home?

You missed THE ENTIRE POINT. Do you recall the scene in the book and in the movie, when all the blacks in the courtroom stood up in respect when he was leaving the courthouse? The black reverend said to his daughter who was sitting on the ground, ":Miss jean louise? Miss Jean Louise? Stand up, your father's passing." She looked around and saw that all the blacks were standing in respect for Atticus. That's a scene that's supposed to give you goosebumps at what a selfless hero he was (often taking payments in food, often letting people take as long as they needed to pay, never hounding them for payment).

Christ almighty, stick to fishing.
You do realize many groups have opposed the book being used in schools for a variety of reasons? Racists segregationists didn’t like it, many on the right oppose the profanity and discussion of rape.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:22 PM   #118
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You do realize many groups have opposed the book being used in schools for a variety of reasons? Racists segregationists didn’t like it, many on the right oppose the profanity and discussion of rape.
the most common reason is the racist language, I haven't heard many other reasons.

So with CRT, liberals want to make sure kids are taught what whited did to blacks.

But with To Kill A Mockingbird, for some reason kids aren't capable of handling the historical context, even though it's accurate?

With CRT, the liberal rallying cry is not to whitewash history. Why doesn't that apply to this book?

Do you understand, that in this book, the racists aren't portrayed favorably? They're portrayed as disgusting.

"many on the right oppose the profanity and discussion of rape"

Not "many". I'm sure some puritans do, but hardly "many". I wouldn't have first graders read it.

Anyway, what do you liberals want? An accurate depiction of history? Or a whitewashed version? It's very hard to tell.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #119
scottw

I think CRT stands for create racial tension
Old 11-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #120
wdmso

Quote:
the most common reason is the racist language, I haven't heard many other reasons.

So with CRT, liberals want to make sure kids are taught what whited did to blacks.

But with To Kill A Mockingbird, for some reason kids aren't capable of handling the historical context, even though it's accurate?

With CRT, the liberal rallying cry is not to whitewash history. Why doesn't that apply to this book?

Do you understand, that in this book, the racists aren't portrayed favorably? They're portrayed as disgusting.

"many on the right oppose the profanity and discussion of rape"

Not "many". I'm sure some puritans do, but hardly "many". I wouldn't have first graders read it.

Anyway, what do you liberals want? An accurate depiction of history? Or a whitewashed version? It's very hard to tell.

CRT only exist in your imagination Jim you've been brainwashed to think it's everywhere .. by some secret liberal organization who even installed it in red states ... So all these parents suddenly got educated about CRT .. Ya ok that's how it happened , and these same parents think Trump won the election ..

yet you and other can't show any public k -12 school where its being taught..

its just keep lying over and over to convince the gullible and clearly uninformed