Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #121
scottw

we need more politicians like President Obama, he of the famous middle finger who refers to his opponents as "hostage takers" and "enemies" who need to be "punished", who accuses the Cambridge Police of acting stupidly and then thanks the Sherrif in Arizona who is acting stupidly, who vows to bring a gun to the fight and implores his followers to get in people's faces and yell at them, who's former chief of staff once stabbed a table with a steak knife repeatedly, listing the names of his political enemies and shouting "dead...dead...dead" ....yes, we need more people like this to assume the high ground and call for civility and common decency...they've built so much credability along the way....I'm guessing the call for calm won't last long because Barry doesn't like it when he doesn't get his way and he can't resist a cheap shot or an opportunity to lob a (rhetorical)bomb....
Old 01-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #122
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Right.
I need a tank, a rocket propelled grenade, and an AR15 or 6, plus the latest in non-lethal weapons. Oh and chemical weapons. What aisle at Walmart has Mustard Gas again?
You know, during the good old days, private ownership of artillery and warships was encouraged.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #123
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
big guns

Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #124
scottw

what Obama should have done/said....

the problem with a lecture from a habitual offender is that is often met with appropriate skeptecism....

btw...the behaviour of the crowd at this "memorial" was really questionable from what I've read...Obama gave a stirring speech to a crowd that didn't quite know how to act appropriately in the moment...reminds me of the Paul Wellstone memorial which was turned into an exuberant political rally....ewwwww

anyway, if Obama truly wanted to set a better course for the next two years and recognizing that it may be a rocky road and needing to, as president, assume the mantle of leader going forward he should have begun with himself...

" recognizing that this event was not necessarily the result of heated political discourse but also acknowledging that the aftermath has been a sort of "wake up call" and has shown a level of tension exists that is not at all healthy for a great nation in difficult times and also realizing that I myself, have contributed to the degradation of the political debate though language and action that does not serve to further the conversation, as President, I pledge to, for the next two years, chose my words more carefully and use only language that reflects positively on the Office of the President of the United States and I will seek to lead by example and be accountable to the people that I am fortunate to serve, , I will ask those that I have influence over to do the same and I implore the members of Congress, media and the American public to do so for the good of our Nation."

always good to start with yourself...then work out one occasion, given the point being made..that "I" would have been appropriate, appreciated and probably brilliant...

I'd have a lot of respect for someone that said "I'm guilty too, but watch me lead by example"

oh, Spence...be gentle..I don't have a speech writer or a teleprompter from which to read

Last edited by scottw; 01-13-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #125
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpoopoo View Post

OOPS! Almost did not notice the gun.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #126
scottw

on second thought...maybe the speech that I wish Obama had given would have been more appropriate on say....Sunday night... to quickly squelch the tirades....then the "memorial" could and would have properly and exclusively been about the victims and void of any political statements or lecturing...
I think that's what a leader would have done...
Old 01-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #127
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
“Instead of asking these meaningless "gotcha" questions, how about answering one of my own? Do you really think, if we banned alcohol, that more people would be killed from illegal booze trade, then are saved by lack of drunk drivers? Do you really believe that?”

If we banned alcohol, Yes, I would agree that it would most likely reduce the amount of people killed from illegal booze. I’m in agreement with you but I don’t believe based off that that it should be banned. You have to look at the whole picture. In your argument, it sounds like you are saying that Alcohol is the common denominator and if it was removed from society the number of drunk driving accidents would be reduced (I agree). Distracted drivers (cell phone use/texting) is the number one cause of auto accidents in the US followed by speeding, DUI is third. So, if we make all possession and use of alcohol (even in a private home) illegal, we reduce the third leading cause of auto accident which reduces the number of deaths. Based off of that theory we should also make all possession and use of all cell phones (even in a private home) illegal. That would reduce the number one cause of auto accident since nobody would ever be in the situation of texting while driving. Again, base off that theory, the government should require all auto manufacturers to add governors to cars so they have a maximum speed limit. That would eliminate the number 2 cause of auto accidents, speeding. It’s not that I disagree with you, I just don’t think a very small number of the population’s actions should change the very large number of law abiding citizens.

“Once again, you regurgitate the NRA line without answering the question I'm asking. “

I’m not regurgitating anything. Those are my own thoughts and it’s how I personally feel. I’m not a member of the NRA and do not own a gun but feel strongly that that right shouldn’t be taken from me.

"You are right, guns are an inanimate object, and can't hurt people on their own. However, don't extended magazines and assault rifles make it EASIER to kill MORE people?"

Yea, they do. I never said they didn’t. I’m still not sure they should be banned completely. I have a friend (retired cop) that fishes Alaska every other year and gets dropped in the wilderness by a bush plane and fishes for a week before they come to pick him up. He brings an extended magazine pistol as well as a 50 caliber to protect himself from an attacking bear. Why should his right be taken away? I’d be interested to know what the percentage is of people that own these things that commit a crime with them. I honestly don’t know the answer. If it’s very high, maybe you have a point, if is very low then the law abiding citizens should not be stripped of the right to own. (again, these are my own thoughts, not “regurgitation”)

"Am I going too fast for you?"

No, not at all but thanks for your concern. That’s a kind of question that brings no value at all to your points. It’s counterproductive and comes across as elitist IMO. Why degrade your posts with that?

"If automatic weapons and extended magazines don't make it easier to kill more people, I wonder why this guy didn't bring a muzzle loader to Safeway."

I never said it doesn’t make it easier. But he could have hurt even more people if he drove a car straight through the crowd. We are normal level thinking people and can’t understand what went this lunatic’s head.
Jim in CT.......................no response to my post????????

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"