Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #61
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I hate it when people get involved or vote in "Moral Issues", there's way too much morality around these days....
I would been happier if people had voted for GWB because they thought he would keep them safer from terrorists or better the economy or some other logical reason. Instead they voted for him because Tommy might want to marry Johnny or because some women want to be able to choose to have an abortion. Wow. what a terrible, terrible world that would be...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #62
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
So true..

For those against gay marriage- Dont marry your gay lover... Same goes for abortion.. against it... then don't have one. But don't tell other people how to run their lives.
Lets just vote on it!

That will settle everything. You guys are up for that right?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #63
Joe

I was helping my son with his religon homework last night and there was a part on Human Rights, down from the Right To Life (the most important human right) they were other rights: like the Right To Healthcare, Work, and Housing.....I did not know that was all part of the Catholic Belief System. Its strange how some rights are embraced and others are ignored.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #64
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
So true..

For those against gay marriage- Dont marry your gay lover... Same goes for abortion.. against it... then don't have one. But don't tell other people how to run their lives.
ahh, so nebe, your problem is really with governement, not religion.
Government does tell people how to run their lives! Dont make money, then dont touch mine, cant afford healthcare, dont make me pay for it, want to have 12 kids, you feed them, want to go to college" get a job.
And for the abortion issue, it looks like you also agree Roe vs Wade should be overturned, correct? That would put the decision of abortion on the states so that PEOPLE can vote, vs. the supreme court stating whether its legal or not.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #65
Nebe

No my issue is with people who push their beliefs onto others.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #66
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Lets just vote on it!

That will settle everything. You guys are up for that right?
Crickets....

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 10-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #67
LT. DAN 2

WOW!!!!!! Did I Do This??????????

Spence your right I needed to change the title to "Why a social conservative Christian can not vote for Obama."

The other reason is I am Catholic and thus agree with the Papal decrees .(TDT)On voting day the "Liberal" Jesus as you call him will be looking over my shoulder in that voting booth. He's never disappointed me and I'm not about to "Take the chance " that I will be disappointing him despite his liberal views.
Yes i know I'm in a Blue State and have no chance of making a difference but...
"You are where you are because that is where you choose to be.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #68
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Crickets....
it's been done Bronco, then a liberal activist judge legislates from the bench and overrules the will of the people...

Nebe: No my issue is with people who push their beliefs onto others.

How about this...the Right will keep their moral views to themselves in the Left agrees to keep their hands out of the Right's pockets....that'll starve most of the left out of existence...wait...is that moral??? OK, except what the Right agrees to give in charity which is pretty hefty when not being taxed to death....

don't usually get to play this much but the kids are home throwing up today...
Old 10-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #69
spence

What I find so ironic about so many who claim to be Republicans, is that their leadership for the most part displays the exact same contempt for free will that they claim Democrats embody.

Libertarians are usually a bit more true in this regard, except when they're making fun of liberals.

-spence
Old 10-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #70
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

Quote:

Nothing turns me off quicker than someone trying to convert my religious or political beliefs.

Our believes come from our life experiences and i believe the adage. "walk a mile in my shoes."

I betcha no one has ever changed their believes because of what has been posted here.

This forum allows us to have a modern day jousting contest, and a good one at that.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 AM   #71
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
What Leap??? This is exactly what was posted in the 1st post of the thread.

I'm pretty sure the whole basis of this post...and Thread is about basing your decision on your religious beliefs.
no, you assume that he can't vote for Obama because his religeon but in fact he won't vote Obama because of his "value system" which happens to be Christian in it's roots and a large part of who he is...

WHAT IS YOUR VALUE SYSTEM???
can you define it or do you just play it by ear...

I don't oppose abortion or gay marraige because my "religeon" instructs me to...I oppose them because I believe that they are wrong regardless of religeous influences....

Are you like Nebe and think noone should tell anyone else what to do or how to live their lives...talk about juvenile...a functional society dictates that this be done to some extent, the argument is all about where the lines should be drawn on various issues...much easier to tell those that disagree with you to keep their values to themselves than to have to debate the merits of your own....

this is the game that the secular left plays with the whole "Separation" thing....you need to leave your religeon at the voting booth door and therefore in many cases your value system out of your voting decisions???

Your secular value system is somehow more legitimate than my Christian based value system??? Oh, that's right...you use your brain and I don't think, I just do what I'm directed to do my my "religeon"....

I sit a few feet away from our Senate Majority Leader at church each week, we are not likely to agree on many issues and vote very differently in the voting booth and I assume we both vote based on what we deeply believe however different, the fact that we both vote in opposite directions tells me that our "religeon" has not dictated our decisions...I can't ever remember our Church giving any voting instructions.....but I bet Obama's church is giving plenty....

the left would say that our esteemed SML did not bring their "Religeon" into the voting booth and that I in turn did....this allows them to delegitimize my vote in their minds....sneer and look down their noses at those that they perceive as voting strictly as they are instructed to by their "religeon"....

DAD....."and I bet if I went to my Priest and said I voted for somebody that supported abortion and wanted to be excommunicated.....he'd try his best to talk me out of it.

This whole thread is about letting Religion dictate who you vote for"......

if you approach your Pastor and stick out your tongue and tell him you voted for someone that supports infanticide and want to be excommunicated...you very well might get excommunicated...
if you are honestly seeking forgiveness or counsel...you'll probably get that as well.....

lot's of religeous bigots out there...
Old 10-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #72
Nebe

scott.. could you please describe the GOP value system over the past 8 years please?

help me out here because if you think that the GOP has a value system that is worth voting for, then I am missing something

Unbelievable.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #73
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
scott.. could you please describe the GOP value system over the past 8 years please?

help me out here because if you think that the GOP has a value system that is worth voting for, then I am missing something

Unbelievable.
Neb, just throwing this out there, from what I've heard - the past 8 years
1. We have goven more $ to Africa fro AIDS than ever before
2. WE have had more minorites and women in senior level positions than ever before
3. Gulp...apparnelty we've had more poor people owning homes....

I agree Busk sucks, but when you throw stuff out there back it up, what "value" system has the GOP damaged in the past 8 years?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #74
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

BTW, McCain is done. There is no hope now. And with the market tanking, I'm goign to need Obamas charity as I'll most likely be unemplyed soon.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #75
Nebe

Im talking about 'family values' on a political level. The GOP runs their 'family' like a pack of white trash debutants...

Somehow I dont think Obama is going to win. Voter fraud will be rampant.

You'll see.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #76
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

ScottW, I don't even know where to begin....I'm dumbfounded as to where you got to there From what I posted here.

My value system is pretty well defined as far as I'm concerned.

Family 1st.....

Racism and Bigotry....I have no time for it, I try to instill in my kids not to judge a person by anything other than the quality of the person. (Don't really want to use the word judge here, but it early and my brain isn't working)

If someone needs my help.....I'll help them. "needs" being the key word and I try and instill this in my kids too as we do service projects for the community.

Abortion....Both me and my wife would never even consider it.

Gay Marriage....Both me and my wife would never even consider it (Although maybe he'd know enough to shut up during the game on Sunday...)

My Value system is also MY VALUE SYSTEM....not anybody elses.

and did you read my post here before you went on your tirade? I'm pretty sure that I said there's no problem voting with your religious beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Nothing wrong with following your religious beliefs when you vote, if thats what you want to do then thats your perogative....Its when those who are elected use their religious beliefs to dictate policy...Thats the issue that is scary

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #77
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Im talking about 'family values' on a political level. The GOP runs their 'family' like a pack of white trash debutants...

Somehow I dont think Obama is going to win. Voter fraud will be rampant.

You'll see.
Heard a very good non-partisan interview yesterday from a WSJ journalist. The major "machines" that own the voting in the big cities are all democtratically owned and have been for years. The recent ACORN stuff is the real deal and if not pure fraud, will cause a lot of issues around the polls with voter registration. The consensus was really the its the Dems in the large urban areas are the biggest contributors to the voting fraud. I'll try to track down the article.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #78
scottw

[QUOTE=The Dad Fisherman;631622]ScottW, I don't even know where to begin....I'm dumbfounded as to where you got to there From what I posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY
what does this have to do with the topic?
(DAD)This whole thread is about letting Religion dictate who you vote for......
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw
you are assuming that religeon dictates who people vote for and that's quite a leap.....
(DAD)What Leap??? This is exactly what was posted in the 1st post of the thread.

(DAD)Race and religion shouldn't come into play.....
Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 10-22-2008 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND
for all I care you can worship the Fonz, but keep it out of politics.
(DAD)Let Us AAYYY!

(DAD)and everything is open to interpretation.

you are indeed DUMBFOUNDED(not my fault)

gotta work so I can get some fishing in, hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #79
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Heard a very good non-partisan interview yesterday from a WSJ journalist. The major "machines" that own the voting in the big cities are all democtratically owned and have been for years. The recent ACORN stuff is the real deal and if not pure fraud, will cause a lot of issues around the polls with voter registration. The consensus was really the its the Dems in the large urban areas are the biggest contributors to the voting fraud. I'll try to track down the article.
2 words... diebold and florida
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #80
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

you are indeed DUMBFOUNDED(not my fault)
Still am...and yeah, it is your fault.

How did what I posted all of a sudden bring my values into question or label me a Religious Bigot....thats where I'm confused.

you are definitely reading into something that just is not there.....and I just don't see it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #81
Nebe

Old 10-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #82
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

Getting back to"why i won't vote for Obama."

Greenspan, financial guru?, denies he is responsible for the once in a century credit tsunami which has left him in a state of shock and disbelieve.

Meantime Biden says Obama will be tested in his first 6 months with a world wide crisis.

Now if Greenspan can't figure out what happened, how is a jr. Senator with 0 experience in finance going to know how to fix the economy?
Granted, Mc Caine said he didn't know a lot about economics, but at least he was honest.

Who would you trust to find the right people to get us out of this financial mess, a guy who's been around Washington for 35 years and knows everybody, or one around for 1 and 1/2 years who knows few if any economists?

Who would you trust to handle a world crisis as Commander in Chief, a guy who has spent his life serving his country in the military and senate, having visited and been in the trouble spots or one who has zero military experience and has only been out of the country twice?

" Choose Life "
Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #83
stripersnipr

Quote:

Like those that believe wealth should be spread around?

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #84
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Like those that believe wealth should be spread around?
Isn't that what our current tax system does? I'm sure you're not out to end taxes are you? (granted, it would be nice)

-spence
Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #85
Nebe

All the messiah wants to do is do away with bush's tax cuts..
Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #86
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
All the messiah wants to do is do away with bush's tax cuts..
and adding more to the current burden
Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #87
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
and adding more to the current burden
do you make more than 250 G's a year?? cause I dont. If not, Would you care to expound how your taxes will go up?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #88
stripersnipr

I wonder how many lay offs I'll have to make to compensate for the increased taxes.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #89
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
I wonder how many lay offs I'll have to make to compensate for the increased taxes.
Have you calculated the difference in tax burden for your business, or are you just talking?

-spence
Old 10-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #90
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Have you calculated the difference in tax burden for your business, or are you just talking?

-spence
If I had already calculated it I wouldn't be wondering.

The beatings will continue until morale improves