Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
spence

Oh flock...

Quote:
Report: CIA threatened detainee families

WASHINGTON - Interrogators threatened to kill the children of a Sept. 11 suspect, according to a CIA report released Monday by the Justice Department.

The report, declassified as part of a lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union, examined CIA treatment of terror detainees following the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

According to the report, one interrogator said a colleague had told Khalid Sheikh Mohammed that if any other attacks happened in the United States, "We're going to kill your children."

Another interrogator allegedly tried to convince a different terror suspect detainee that his mother would be sexually assaulted in front of him — though the interrogator in question denied making such a threat.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32538742...more_politics/
They had said this new report wasn't going to be good, but I didn't think it would contain stuff like this.

-spence
Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
scottw

and the BIG difference between the horribly mean talking interrogator and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is that Mohammed WOULD ACTUALLY happily kill your children ...

I think we need to release some details of Al Qaeda interrogations...for a little of that "context" you're always yapping about

Last edited by scottw; 08-24-2009 at 04:10 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Hmm, timing an investigation at the peak of the HC dissent by the astro turfs,
could this be the old "broken wing" trick?

" Choose Life "
Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Fly Rod

We all know that the threats were frivolous. Spence, see if you could find out how many American lives were or maybe have been saved with the info from that type of interrogation saved.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
and the BIG difference between the horribly mean talking interrogator and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is that Mohammed WOULD ACTUALLY happily kill your children ...

I think we need to release some details of Al Qaeda interrogations...for a little of that "context" you're always yapping about
Right, because if they can do it, why shouldn't we?

With your logic, we should be able to abduct family members of possible terrorists and then send them videos of us beheading their loved ones.

Personally, I see no problems with the above CIA interrogation techniques.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Right, because if they can do it, why shouldn't we? I never said that, the threat from my standpoint and I assume yours is not likely to be carried out, simply meant to scare or intimidate...however, the threat from KSM's standpoint may sound entirely creadabile because he himself is capable of such a thing and in the culture that he is immersed in this is certainly a reality...

With your logic, we should be able to abduct family members of possible terrorists and then send them videos of us beheading their loved ones. you are really reaching....your imagination is scaring me, I cited context because again, verbal threats are hardly as severe as what KSM's folks are capable of...never suggested that we resort lowering to their level

but Spence and MSNBC are all "WEE, WEED UP" over words, just words......pretty sad

and yes, this was released to placate and coalesce the base that is wandering away from "God's Partner"....Panetta was hardly amused....

Last edited by scottw; 08-24-2009 at 08:36 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
but Spence and MSNBC are all "WEE, WEED UP" over words, just words......pretty sad
Yea, cause MSNBC made it all up...

http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politi...techniques.htm

Quote:
and yes, this was released to placate and coalesce the base that is wandering away fron God's Partner....
Perhaps the scariest thing you've ever posted. Thanks for showing your true colors...

-spence
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
If JohnnyD is OK with the techniques, I would guess that the "mainstream" would also have no objections. I would suspect that most Americans would expect this sort of thing, not be shocked or horrified by it. I, also, agree with JohnnyD.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
scottw

Perhaps the scariest thing you've ever posted. Thanks for showing your true colors...

-spence

what the hell are you talking about Hot Bottom?
I never said it was "made up", just that you are all "wee weed up"
JD IS mainstream

Last edited by scottw; 08-24-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Cool Beans

Quote:
and the BIG
You mean like the humane way they interogated Nick Berg?

If you search for it its there, but DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO!!! Once you do, you cant un-watch it... It will be stuck in your brain,,, hearing him scream and plead for his life.... There is a Huge difference between us and them.......

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 08-25-2009 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: The pictures were a little much for this site.....
Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
There is a Huge difference between us and them.......
Are you a complete idiot, or is tonight just a bad night?

-spence
Old 08-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Are you a complete idiot, or is tonight just a bad night?

-spence
Maybe in your eyes.....

What ever we did or do to those involved is perfectly fine with me, if it saved or saves live in the US....

You wanna jump on the "screw America band wagon" every chance you get... They did what they did, and we did what we had to.. ...

So is today, Spence's day to be a total "ass"? or are you having a bad day?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:

And operators will kill women and children.
A job is a job.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
You wanna jump on the "screw America band wagon" every chance you get...
That's just the lamest sort of BS there is. A weak cop out to avoid a little thought.

Force you to admit your %$%$%$%$ might stink the least bit and you just wrap the flag tighter around your own neck.

These images were created and published for YOUR CONSUMPTION in the hope that you might compromise what you claim to value most.

And you still don't see it.

-spence
Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
These images were created and published for YOUR CONSUMPTION in the hope that you might compromise what you claim to value most.-spence
You have stated something to the effect that you are not interested in what was working 70 years ago but what works for today. I don't know what TODAYS American values most, or claims to value most, but the founding of this country was based on the proposition that what was most valuable was life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Life was risked and lost for that proposition, and an attitude of "don't tread on me" was born of it. I don't know what the murderers of Nick Berg thought Americans value most, but the guy who did the cutting found that he stepped on the wrong folks. I don't know if he was some keen philosopher that had insight into the American psyche. Maybe, he thought all Americans are like you, and he published his horror in hopes that SUCH Americans would compromise whatever you all claim to value most. Obviously, since you don't approve of the CIA's methods, he didn't succeed. Most assuredly, he didn't scare us away because he didn't understand what the OTHER Americans value most.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You have stated something to the effect that you are not interested in what was working 70 years ago but what works for today.
Over my head; what do you mean "not interested in what was working 70 years ago?".

Last edited by EarnedStripes44; 08-25-2009 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: punctuation, formatting
Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
That's just the lamest sort of BS there is. A weak cop out to avoid a little thought.

Force you to admit your %$%$%$%$ might stink the least bit and you just wrap the flag tighter around your own neck.

These images were created and published for YOUR CONSUMPTION in the hope that you might compromise what you claim to value most.

And you still don't see it.

-spence
you are making absolutely no sense, but this is fun...Spence Alynski, why do you hate America so much, you clearly sympathize with the terrorists, thanks for showing YOUR true colors ????
Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You have stated something to the effect that you are not interested in what was working 70 years ago but what works for today. I don't know what TODAYS American values most, or claims to value most, but the founding of this country was based on the proposition that what was most valuable was life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Life was risked and lost for that proposition, and an attitude of "don't tread on me" was born of it. I don't know what the murderers of Nick Berg thought Americans value most, but the guy who did the cutting found that he stepped on the wrong folks. I don't know if he was some keen philosopher that had insight into the American psyche. Maybe, he thought all Americans are like you, and he published his horror in hopes that SUCH Americans would compromise whatever you all claim to value most. Obviously, since you don't approve of the CIA's methods, he didn't succeed. Most assuredly, he didn't scare us away because he didn't understand what the OTHER Americans value most.
What I find so interesting is that those who claim to hold their principals highest (i.e. the rule of law) also seem to be the first to cast them aside when it suits their interests.

We can't defend our freedoms if we have not foundation from which to fight. Always believing that the ends justify the means makes us just like them...

Re posting graphic images, in the hopes of influencing action without thought - is doing just that.

-spence
Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
What I find so interesting is that those who claim to hold their principals highest (i.e. the rule of law) also seem to be the first to cast them aside when it suits their interests.

We can't defend our freedoms if we have not foundation from which to fight. Always believing that the ends justify the means makes us just like them...

Re posting graphic images, in the hopes of influencing action without thought - is doing just that.

-spence
we can't defend our freedom if whiners like you get weak-kneed and wee weed because an interrogator yelled at a mass murdering terrorist...

is it against the law to yell at or threaten mass murdering terrorists?

if you can's see the difference and want to continue to draw some moral equivalence to the way that we conduct ourselves and the way that the radical islamists conduct themselves you are simply delusional...what's the matter with you?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #20
Duke41
got gas?

In this situation you do what you have to do. We are under attack. Every war the enemy is always demonized and made to be inhuman. This is nothing compared to the sick %$%$%$%$ that went on in WW2 or Viet Nam. It ALWAYS happens. ALWAYS. Thats why we should be dam sure before we delcare war on any other country. I say forgive and forget can't do anything about it now. When you release the dogs of war they all get released, even the ones in the special cages.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #21
Bronko

I hope this is in jest and you feel this is as foolish as I do... Verbal threats about violence to the family of the mastermind of 9/11... Firing a gun in the cell next to the bomber of the USS Cole and saying we will shoot you next... staging fake beatings...

You really have problems with this type of interrogation? Seriously?

Liberals bitched and moaned about things allegedly that went down Abu Grahib and then later whined about the use of water boarding, the "Physical" tools of interrogation.

Now you have problems with the "verbal" tools? Things like lies...completely contrived and absurd threats....Saying they are going to "get" a family member?

What do you think happens in an interrogation, how do you propose we cull life saving information form mass murderers like Sheik Mohammmed?

Egyptian Cotton sheets and truffles just aren't going to cut it comrad.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #22
PaulS

Quote:
you are making absolutely no sense, but this is fun...Spence Alynski, why do you hate America so much, you clearly sympathize with the terrorists, thanks for showing YOUR true colors ????
and why do you hate America so much that you'll throw 230 years of having the moral high ground away to be like a bunch of POS terrorists.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #23
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

PaulS, you just don't get it,
Because stooping down a level or two is OK, we're America...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #24
fishbones

Spence, you do understand why this story is being put out there for public consumption right now, don't you? You fell for it hook line, and sinker.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #25
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Yup, this story will beat to death to try and keep citizens distracted from HC.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
and why do you hate America so much that you'll throw 230 years of having the moral high ground away to be like a bunch of POS terrorists.
????? I believe the bar has been moved to accomodate a political attack for advantage from the radical left on this issue...read a little history beginning with George Washington, I think you'll find "threatening terrorists" to be fairly a fairly mundane incident in our past 230 years...which makes the reaction by some completely hilarious and disturbing at the same time...nothing more that a carrot for the whackos...
Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #27
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Liberals, in general, will take the high ground when it suits their
political agenda, but when it comes to late term abortion it's OK to take a life.

Will it be allowed to sneak up behind a captured terrorist and yell Boo?

" Choose Life "
Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #28
Raven

who cares....

they'll stop at nothing....

the suicidal explosives they are strapping onto
kidnapped children to blow up our citizens in the military
should allow us to use any means possible to
extract info out of them...
Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #29
buckman

This is being pushed by Jan Schanowky from Illinois. Enough said. If you can't admit that this is politcally motivated then you are an idiot ( no offense, it just seems to be a name people like to use here). And I'm sure we have not had the moral high ground for 230 yrs. We have aways had people that will do whatever it takes to save others.
It's as simple as " if your kid was burried alive" Those that say they would do nothing... well I'm glad Your not my parent.

s
Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
.. well I'm glad Your not my parent.
Is it claustrophobic underground?
What did your parents have to do?
I would have left you there

OF COURSE this was politically motivated, EVERYTHING that is not breaking news (i.e. released) FROM BOTH sides is timed for maximum efficiency. it is unfortunate that these games get played, but it doesn't change the story, it only changes the context of WHEN it was released.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"