Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #91
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
He said on Letterman last night that he won't commit anymore troops until he comes up with a plan. If I'm not mistaken, I thought he had a plan and already had more troops over there. WTF
When you head to the tuna grounds, and there isn't a sniff of life for miles, do you continue on with your plan because you "had a plan" already?

Situations change, and as such, so does the response. I'm sure the Generals of WWII had plans that needed re-adjusting after they got in the rough of it.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #92
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
When you head to the tuna grounds, and there isn't a sniff of life for miles, do you continue on with your plan because you "had a plan" already?

Situations change, and as such, so does the response. I'm sure the Generals of WWII had plans that needed re-adjusting after they got in the rough of it.
Sounds like the same thing you would say about Bush

The Generals have recommended a change and a plan. It's been sitting on his desk. While real men are losing there lives. He's too busy hitting the road selling Shamwow Health Care. Where is that outrage from the left???????
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #93
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Johnny, he's right.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #94
spence

Quote:
The Generals have recommended a change and a plan. It's been sitting on his desk.
I don't think this is accurate. To my knowledge there's been no formal proposal made to the President, rather an unclassified status report which says we need more troops was publish that caught the media's attention.

This doesn't mean the plan is sitting on Obama's desk and American's are dying because of it.

-spence
Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #95
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don't think this is accurate. To my knowledge there's been no formal proposal made to the President, rather an unclassified status report which says we need more troops was publish that caught the media's attention.

This doesn't mean the plan is sitting on Obama's desk and American's are dying because of it.

-spence
Remember the last time you called me out for not telling the truth
Old 09-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #96
spence

Quote:
Remember the last time you called me out for not telling the truth
Yes, and you were wrong then as well.

-spence
Old 09-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #97
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, and you were wrong then as well.

-spence
??? I was? Hmmm. I don't think so.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #98
buckman

Bloodiest year already for our troops in 8 years. What's the change?... not for better thats for sure.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #99
spence

Quote:
Bloodiest year already for our troops in 8 years. What's the change?... not for better thats for sure.
I think you just crossed the line.

-spence
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #100
JohnnyD

Quote:
A shift in focus from Bush's war in Iraq, where we never should have been to Afghanistan, where the real problem has always existed.

In one post, you complain that Obama doesn't heed the advice of the Generals in Afghanistan (the increase of troops, temporary outposts, moving into rural areas and establishing a longer-term presence all contradict your comment though), then, you complain that nothing has changed.

We all understand that you will seize even the slightest opportunity to make vague criticisms about any topic referring to Obama - you'd probably even criticize the way he takes a sh!t - but at least be consistent.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #101
buckman

The fact is we are now engaged further in Afganastan with no clear objective from our leader. I saw him stumble and bumble through this same question at the G20. It's a shame. I'm disappointed with the left. They assured us Obama had all the answers. At least his knew direction of dialog would make everyone love us again.
Here's a fact, in Iraq, Afganastan, Iran, North Korea and even here on our own soil we are less safe today then 1yr. ago. It's amature hour at the Whitehouse.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #102
spence

Quote:
Here's a fact, in Iraq, Afganastan, Iran, North Korea and even here on our own soil we are less safe today then 1yr. ago. It's amature hour at the Whitehouse.
If it's a "fact" then you should have no problem producing some statistics to back up your claim.

Have at it.

-spence
Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #103
striperman36
Old Guy

Regardless of our differences, the fact is that more of our armed services are dying in Afghanistan now, then anywhere else during this action.
iCasualties | Operation Enduring Freedom | Afghanistan

The Afghanistan people have been at war for centuries. How can we change the fundamental way of life. When the Taliban pay men to fight, kill those who are found or suspected to be against them, how, can anyone from outside change the way of life.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #104
Fly Rod

To many American men are dying for a war we will never win.

"Obama's War."
Old 09-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #105
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
To many American men are dying for a war we will never win.

"Obama's War."
Afghanistan is America's War.

Iraq (where more troops have died and has cost twice as much as Afghanistan) is Bush's War.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #106
JohnnyD

Quote:
As a fact, I am anxious to see evidence that backs it up.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #107
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Regardless of our differences, the fact is that more of our armed services are dying in Afghanistan now, then anywhere else during this action.

The Afghanistan people have been at war for centuries. How can we change the fundamental way of life. When the Taliban pay men to fight, kill those who are found or suspected to be against them, how, can anyone from outside change the way of life.
I agree, they are a tribal people and not prone to want to answer to a National government let alone a Western style government.
There has to be a desire on their part to want it and defend it. That doesn't seem to be the case.
Sending more troops will not change that, no way, no how.

Meantime they are waiting for the post election results with a NATO mandate to support the legitimate government of Afghanistan.
So if they are illegitimate what does that mean for the NATO mission??? Politicians don't seem to want to speculate on that.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #108
buckman

Quote:
What did you stop reading the news? Open your eyes. You and Spence are friggen joking right?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #109
JohnnyD

Quote:
What did you stop reading the news? Open your eyes. You and Spence are friggen joking right?
For the last week? Yes.

Even still, aside from the terrorists that have been arrested over the last week, there have been no events to articulate any change in how safe we are compared to a year ago.

I was no more nervous flying home from California on Thursday with the substantially increased airport security (due to the elevated number of FBI advisories) than I was last year.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #110
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Go through TSA in Dulles, I feel like I am in a third world country.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #111
spence

Quote:
Please be more specific.

-spence
Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #112
buckman

Even Muammar has grown a set of what I would refer to as "Obama balls". Reality is, the animals that want to hurt us and kill your kids, won one for their team when you guys put Obama in office.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #113
scottw

plenty of time for Letterman...but...

By Amanda Carpenter on Sept. 28, 2009

The military general credited for capturing Saddam Hussein and killing the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq says he has only spoken to President Obama once since taking command of Afghanistan.

“I’ve talked to the president, since I’ve been here, once on a VTC [video teleconferece],” General Stanley McChrystal told CBS reporter David Martin in a television interview that aired Sunday.

“You’ve talked to him once in 70 days?” Mr. Martin followed up.

“That is correct,” the general replied.

This revelation comes amid the explosive publication of an classified report written by the general that said the war in Afghanistan “will likely result in failure” of more troops are not added next year. Yet, the debate over health care reform continues to dominate Washington’s political discussions.

they'll probably try to destroy him now like General "Betray-Us" right?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #114
spence

Quote:
Even Muammar has grown a set of what I would refer to as "Obama balls". Reality is, the animals that want to hurt us and kill your kids, won one for their team when you guys put Obama in office.
Nice, so the free and fair democratic process is a win for terrorists?

How patriotic of you.

Acording to Obama's National Security Advisor - a retired US Marine General no less - we're actually killing more terrorists these days.

-spence
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #115
Joe

The Israelis all but said they we're going to destroy Iran's capacity to produce nukes last week in front of the U.N. General Assembly.
The Israelis don't bluff - they are not going to sit around and wait to be rubbed off the map.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #116
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The Israelis all but said they we're going to destroy Iran's capacity to produce nukes last week in front of the U.N. General Assembly.
The Israelis don't bluff - they are not going to sit around and wait to be rubbed off the map.
I think striking Iran would be a lot harder than Iraq or Syria. Iran actually has the ability to retaliate via Hezbollah.

That's not to say they wouldn't do it if they really felt threatened. Israel does have a reputation to maintain.

-spence
Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #117
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I'm surprised they've had as much restraint as they have shown.
I would have thought they would have done it a year ago before the US elections, not knowing how a new US administration would react.

US and World opinion or not, I have a feeling they are very close to the end of their restraint.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #118
JohnnyD

Quote:
Go through TSA in Dulles, I feel like I am in a third world country.
Just went through SFO in California on Thursday. Multiple checkpoints and random searches of people waiting at their gate - at least 1/3 people were having their bags checked after going through the scanners and seemed like at least 50% of people were being patted down. Security was pretty tight.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #119
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Just went through SFO in California on Thursday. Multiple checkpoints and random searches of people waiting at their gate - at least 1/3 people were having their bags checked after going through the scanners and seemed like at least 50% of people were being patted down. Security was pretty tight.
Dulles has everyone domestic and international go through the same security checkpoints, so many many languages being spoken.
Also alot of the people working TSA there are immigrants, women with face shrouds, men with turbans. I feel really weird going through security there.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #120
JohnnyD

Quote:
Dulles has everyone domestic and international go through the same security checkpoints, so many many languages being spoken.
Also alot of the people working TSA there are immigrants, women with face shrouds, men with turbans. I feel really weird going through security there.
It's been a while since I've been through. If I'm going to DC, the Acella trains are for me. When I have connections, Dulles is a last resort. That airport is a mess.