Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #61
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
good thing we have a fat First Lady and chainsmoking President for role models and they are REALLY expensive...
Great post. Don't forget about how we got to this mess. Ted Kennedy was another healthy role model responsible for this. "Do as I say, not as I do"

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #62
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Great post. Don't forget about how we got to this mess. Ted Kennedy was another healthy role model responsible for this. "Do as I say, not as I do"
incomplete thought though...meant to say how lucky we are to have these two who like to lecture us on such things...pretty sure Michelle was caught choking down a cheeseburger and fries recently...I think it was Teds dream that JD help pay for his and all fat people's medical needs...it takes a village you know..

Last edited by scottw; 10-27-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Old 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #63
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
You would approve of special bill to cover certain individuals?
It's already being done for the blind by tax credit.

I'd rather see tax credits to help uninsured individuals to help pay for their HC through private plans rather than completely changing HC for 3o8 million people.

We still don't know how many people don't have HC with estimates ranging
from 20 to 40 million.

Start cutting give a way programs and use the 640 Billion they claim will
be saved from Medicare fraud to make up the loss of tax income.

Obama- care, as seen in recent days, is opening Pandora's box for companies to drop their employees private HC.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #64
scottw

this should help too...400 million/year for "FOOD DESERTS" NOT "DESSERTS"

Mrs. Obama’s multi-million dollar anti-obesity initiative seeks to eradicate so-called food deserts. “Right now, 23.5 million Americans, including 6.5 million kids, live in what we call ‘food deserts’—these are areas without a supermarket,” Obama explained in May. “And as a result these families wind up buying their groceries at the local gas station or convenience store, places that offer few, if any, healthy options.” According to Obama, these “food deserts” lead to increased levels of obesity.

We’re creating a Healthy Food Financing Initiative that’s going to invest $400 million a year—and leverage hundreds of millions more from the private sector—to bring grocery stores to under-served areas and help places like convenience stores carry healthier options,” she announced.

But Jeffrey wonders if the situation is as dire as Mrs. Obama describes it and whether this new financing initiative is warranted. Pointing to a 2008 government study of “food deserts,” Jeffrey concludes the First Lady’s characterization of American “food deserts” is “fatuous at best.”

Lower-income Americans live closer to supermarkets than higher-income Americans.

Overall, median distance to the nearest supermarket is 0.85 miles,” said the Agriculture Department report. “Median distance for low-income individuals is about 0.1 of a mile less than for those with higher income, and a greater share of low-income individuals (61.8 percent) have high or medium access to supermarkets than those with higher income (56.1 percent).”

There are 23.5 million people who live in “low income” areas that are more than a mile from the nearest supermarket. But more than half of these people are not low-income, and almost everyone in these areas–93.3 percent—drive their cars to the supermarket. On average, they spend 4.5 minutes more than the typical American traveling to the supermarket.

“Area-based measures of access show that 23.5 million people live in low-income areas (areas where more than 40 percent of the population has income at or below 200 percent of federal poverty thresholds) that are more than 1 mile from a supermarket or large grocery store,” said the report. “However, not all of these 23.5 million people have low income.

“If estimates are restricted to consider only low-income people in low-income areas, then 11.5 million people, or 4.1 percent of the total U.S. population, live in low-income areas more than 1 mile from a supermarket or large grocery store,” it says. “Data on time use and travel mode show that people living in low-income areas with limited access spend significantly more time (19.5 minutes) traveling to a grocery store than the national average (15 minutes).

“However,” says the report, “93 percent of those who live in low-income areas with limited access traveled to the grocery store in a vehicle they or another household member drove.”

Only 0.1 percent—one-tenth of one percent—of Americans living in low-income areas more than 1 mile from a supermarket took public transit to the store, the report said.

It’s for this “one-tenth of one percent” of American living in low-income areas that First Lady Michelle Obama says U.S. taxpayers need to invest $400 million every year. Is it worth it? You be the judge
Old 10-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #65
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Maybe if they walked the "Extra Mile" to the Supermarket there wouldn't be an Obesity problem.......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #66
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

We’re creating a Healthy Food Financing Initiative that’s going to invest $400 million a year—and leverage hundreds of millions more from the private sector—to bring grocery stores to under-served areas and help places like convenience stores carry healthier options,” she announced.
So now they want to start controlling our food supply as to where
food markets should be and what foods they will need to carry?

Why shouldn't we just pay super markets to deliver food to their house.
After all it does take them an extra 4.5 Min's to get their food.

Funnie though, in Calif., some how, soom seem to find the time to get to Vegas and cash in their monthly welfare cards.

I like TDF's idea.
And don't forget to wear your mittens.

Last edited by justplugit; 10-28-2010 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: needed to make it clearer.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #67
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post

Funnie though, in Calif. some how seem to find the time to get to Vegas and cash in their monthly welfare cards.
I believe it was Las Vegas and International cruise ships where the welfare debit cards were being used Nancy Pelosi would tell you that's economic stimulus...
Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #68
Piscator

Grow a garden, I know it would require someone to actually do something but it'cheap to do and health food for you.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #69
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

We need to fight Obesity.....so lets make it easier for people to get food. Trying to grasp the logic in that

Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #70
Piscator

Think again Dems.....................I guess we can toss out the theory to add extra tax to junk food's:

(CNN) – Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts. For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too. His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most — not the nutritional value of the food. The premise held up: On his “convenience store diet,” he shed 27 pounds in two months. … His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds. But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so. Haub’s “bad” cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his “good” cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #71
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

How's his glucose levels.....N/A

Old 11-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #72
JohnnyD

This is nonsense.

"Haub said before the diet, he was eating up to 3,000 calories a day and weighed 201 pounds."

And then "he has lost 27 pounds in two months eating approximately 1,800 calories a day – and those calories came from foods like snack cakes, candy bars and even potato chips – basically anything he could get from a vending machine."

Anyone who removes 1200 calories from their diet is going to lose weight. This does not mean it is healthy.
This quote sums it up well:
Quote:
“This diet is based on refined, processed foods that lack essential vitamins and nutrients, as well as antioxidants and fiber,” she said. “Antioxidants fight cancer, and fiber lowers cholesterol and controls sugar levels, reducing the risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Good health is not just about getting skinny; it also is about increasing chances for longevity. This junk food diet may help you shed a few pounds, but ultimately can reduce your chances for longevity.”
Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #73
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
How's his glucose levels.....N/A
Yea, funny they didn't mention anything about that............

Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #74
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

No that guy really lost the weight. He conditioned himself to eat one piece every 3 hours whether he was hungry or not. So every 3 hours you eat a pack of twinkies. Yea you'd drop weight quick but I'm betting your body is in poor shape.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #75
buckman

Food deserts??? This is just an extension of welfare. 400 mill? Who gets that? Are we going to give tax breaks to stores to build in unprofitable areas? Just when you think it can't get any crazier. The good thing is the new House will never fund it. Thank you Tea Party
Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #76
scottw

they might sneak it in under the wire....like this

FLOTUS’ $4.5 Billion School Lunch Bill Could Get Lame Duck Passage

November 10, 2010

WASHINGTON (AP) — First lady Michelle Obama’s campaign for healthier school lunches could be revived in Congress after two key Democrats said they will drop opposition to using funding from food stamps to pay for it.

Reps. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut and Jim McGovern of Massachusetts have said they will support House passage of a $4.5 billion child nutrition bill that passed the Senate earlier this year. Backed by some anti-hunger groups, the two lawmakers led opposition to passage of that version before the election because it is partially paid for with $2.2 billion taken from future funding for food stamp programs.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #77
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Thank you Tea Party
If it wasn't for the Tea Party, there'd be at least one or two more Republicans in Congress. Nice concept, poor political strategy.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #78
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
If it wasn't for the Tea Party, there'd be at least one or two more Republicans in Congress. Nice concept, poor political strategy.
that's the dumbest thing you've said in a long time
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #79
buckman

Quote:
that's the dumbest thing you've said in a long time
No it isn't.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #80
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
No it isn't.
it was a tough call, one of the dumbest

if it wasn't for the Tea Party, their organization, dedication and energy the historic proportions of the turn over at every level( YOU NEED TO LOOK CLOSELY AT THE STATE LEVEL TURN OVER) may not have happened....starting with Scott Brown, to suggest that losses by Tea Party "backed" candidates are the fault or result of some shortcoming in the Tea Party is just rediculous...more likely a shortcoming of the Republican party establishment for not fully supporting the primary winner and reluctant, entrenched elitists that don't know when it's time to go...see Murkowski, those that lost were left out on their own in many cases and heavily targeted by the dems...how many trips did Barry and Biden make to Deleware despite the polls? and look at the apparatus that was deployed to Nevada to save Harry's ass...the Tea Party was a huge net plus in an historic sweep...

Last edited by scottw; 11-10-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Old 11-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #81
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
We need to fight Obesity.....so lets make it easier for people to get food. Trying to grasp the logic in that

Yup, all about calories, never saw a fat guy comin out of a cocentration camp.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #82
Piscator

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove

they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".

- Ben Stein -

Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #83
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

PERFECT

Judge uses Obama's words against him - Washington Times
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #84
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Another step in the right direction, wished it was the final Supreme Court decision.

I like what the Judge hypothesized, that under Obama's legal theory
the government could mandate eating broccoli.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #85
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun | The Argus Leader | argusleader.com
Old 02-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #86
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Funny thing:

I was talking to a Canadian who lives and works in the US now.

He was treated for and survived childhood cancer. Spent a lot of time dealing with his own personal healthcare. He had zero issues with the health care system in his experience... he can't figure out what the big fuss is here over 'Obama Care'....

it was an interesting perspective....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #87
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Funny thing:

I was talking to a Canadian who lives and works in the US now.

He was treated for and survived childhood cancer. Spent a lot of time dealing with his own personal healthcare. He had zero issues with the health care system in his experience... he can't figure out what the big fuss is here over 'Obama Care'....

it was an interesting perspective....
That might have been years ago, I have a very good friend who was born in Canada and went to College in Boston. He ended up settling down here in the states and had a pretty good semi pro hockey career. His Mom and Dad lived in Ontario and his Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer about 4 years ago. His Mom and Dad had enough of the system and would come to the states so that she could be treated. His Dad finally put a request in with work to relocate to the States and they now live here. 2 very different stories and I'm sure there are many more that tell different sides. He will say to this day that if his Mom stayed, her chances wouldn't have been as good.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #88
Redsoxticket

Last I knew MA has a health care similar to Ontario or at least Obamacare courtesy of former Governor Romney. Also Boston medical system is second to none in the world so a comparison to Ontario is weak.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #89
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
Last I knew MA has a health care similar to Ontario or at least Obamacare courtesy of former Governor Romney. Also Boston medical system is second to none in the world so a comparison to Ontario is weak.
Weak? Ask someone you know from Canada about the wait times to see a specialist...........I know many Canadians and most have similar complaints about very long wait times. We are starting to see that in MA now and it will only get worse.

MA Health is way more open to cover people than Ontario's. They have residency requirements (have to be a citizen and resident of the province for 6 months) we don't.........

They came here for both the quality of Boston's Medical care and more importantly, the quickness of care that they didn't have in Canada.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #90
Redsoxticket

There are doctors graduating from US colleges, US universities and the US medical schools by the thousands each year.
I doubt there will be any significant wait times. The reason for the increase in wait times is that not all good doctors want to be part of commonwealth care but that could change the competition among doctors increase.
There are more hockey players then doctors in Canada that is the reason for long waits.